Google Fiber Confirmed Coming to Nashville

JohnC

• Admin Team

There have been local alternatives here and there. Chattanooga is one such example, and there are a few more in Tennessee- Clarksville is one, I think- where the electric company is offering internet service at a better rate than the cable companies. The competition is out there, but a lot of people don't know about them, because they don't advertise like Comcast and AT&T, who seem to each send me mail offers every week to upgrade services. Also, the ISP's are getting laws written with those paid off legislators to help prevent such things.

Comcast and the telecommunications lobby have been Marsha Blackburn's biggest donors. Unsurprisingly, she's sought to repay her corporate taskmasters by introducing legislation to ban services like Chattanooga's EPB.

http://m.ibtimes.com/marsha-blackburn-r-tn-why-one-congresswoman-wants-block-fast-cheap-internet-her-district-1630060
I will say I'm spoiled to live in one of 7 gig cities in TN. We have had the gig for 3 years, just after Chattanooga and the best part has been that the local utility got into the cable business and caused Charter and Comcast to get competitive. My utility still saves over $40 per month on a very similar bundle, except I laugh at Charter when they call and tell me I can now get 50 megs!

Comcast and the telecommunications lobby have been Marsha Blackburn's biggest donors. Unsurprisingly, she's sought to repay her corporate taskmasters by introducing legislation to ban services like Chattanooga's EPB.

http://m.ibtimes.com/marsha-blackburn-r-tn-why-one-congresswoman-wants-block-fast-cheap-internet-her-district-1630060

Of course.  Comcast isn't dumb, they pay for winners.  Her wasta within the House Republicans is high enough to get a bill to a floor vote, and that she is safe enough in her heavily conservative district to withstand any blow-back from screwing over her constituents. 

Not to mention her role as Vice Chair of the Energy and Commerce Committee, which overseas the Communications and Technology subcommittee is a great position to push their agenda from.

FCC just voted today to make 25Mbps down, 3 Mbps up the new min standard for "broadband". Will be interesting to see how that throws kinks into companies like Comcast and ATT. Heck, I just got 18 Mbps via UVerse and now that's not even considered broadband by the government.

FCC just voted today to make 25Mbps down, 3 Mbps up the new min standard for "broadband". Will be interesting to see how that throws kinks into companies like Comcast and ATT. Heck, I just got 18 Mbps via UVerse and now that's not even considered broadband by the government.

This is cute...
In a letter to the regulator, the cable industry’s largest lobby group, the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA), called the FCC’s new definitions “entirely out of step” with consumer demands and said they “exaggerate the amount of bandwidth needed by the typical broadband user”.

It's funny how plenty of the internet packages the cable industry markets to customers are at or above the amount they claim "exaggerate(s) the amount of bandwidth needed by the typical broadband user."

Edited by btq96r

AT&T should have never been considered broadband to begin with in my opinion.

My point is, there is no inflation in providing bandwidth, other than labor...  equipment, lines, and bandwidth itself is a decreasing cost over time, not an increasing one.

Data centers and back haul providers (mostly telecom companies) continue to reduce prices for bandwidth year after year and they're all for profit companies...  why?  Because there is a lot of competition so they're forced to keep their rates low...  

There is little or no competition due to government backed companies when trying to deliver services via the 'last mile' to homes and businesses....

Make no mistake Google isn't clean as the driven snow here, but it's in their interest to push prices as low as possible...  trying to force cable and telecom companies to do the same...  because cheaper prices with lots of bandwidth means more revenue for them no matter which ISP we use....  

And even if you're not in an area with Google fiber, when Comcast lowers their prices and removes the data cap for Nashville, they won't be able to have separate prices for your neighborhood/town which doesn't have Google fiber...  everybody in the market wins.

Please forgive me if I continue to harbor doubts that a for profit company might decide to incrementally raise rates beyond inflation in operating costs to improve their bottom line.

Point made on the web traffic analytics, but I'm not about to put it past them to try and get that rewritten to their favor someday.  Google is very well represented on K Street these days.

There have been local alternatives here and there.  Chattanooga is one such example, and there are a few more in Tennessee- Clarksville is one, I think- where the electric company is offering internet service at a better rate than the cable companies.  The competition is out there, but a lot of people don't know about them, because they don't advertise like Comcast and AT&T, who seem to each send me mail offers every week to upgrade services.  Also, the ISP's are getting laws written with those paid off legislators to help prevent such things.

The writing is on the wall. Monopoly players like Comcast, Verizon and AT&T will be doing their best to use their positions to damage the business activities of online companies like Netflix, Amazon and Google. This is a preemptive move by Google to protect themselves. Like Android was against iphone.

Unfortunately, this won't be available where I am but it's good news all-in-all.

Edited by tnguy

It's not for everybody certainly. If you are cool with the plan you have now, that's fine. Those of us with the gear and gumption to use it however, it's well worth the cost.

Even outside of that, Google coming to town and offering affordable 1 gig service will force Comcast to play ball in the area where they previously had a monopoly. Either by dropping rates or offering better plans. They will have to. That benefits you guys who don't want to switch. If they don't they will start losing people as streaming services (that Comcast hates, btw. Comcast actively throttles streaming like Netflix just because they can) become more and more the norm. This isn't even to mention higher quality video streaming that will become the norm as time goes on.

Netflix recently paid Comcast to allow their traffic better speeds. That was an unfortunate battle lost.

A big issue I have with Comcast right now is the caps they are introducing (my area got it last year). This is set at 300GB no matter what speed plan you have. I have one of the lower speed plans and I already bounced off this limit a few times. What's the point of higher speed if you're still going to end up with surcharges anyway.

Higher speed is nto such a big deal in any case. An hour of streaming video will take about 750M over an hour and on my connection, you can download 300M in about 10 minutes so I'm not sure I'd see the benefit of Gigabit. OTOH, HD and then 4K is coming. Though see how far you get with a 300GB cap then.

In short, we need some competition in this space urgently.

What happens when they eliminate the competition?

They are unlikely to eliminate the competition as the competition is providing money for old rope already. There will always be a market for a lower cost, if slower internet over the infrastructure that's already in place and bought and paid for.

BTW saw this while walking to lunch. . .

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q3e9Aa]15777760773_5191b90e8b.jpg[/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/q3e9Aa]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/51628946@N00/]systemdelete[/url], on Flickr

Sounds like a breakfast cereal Edited by tnguy

Worth pointing out Comcast only has the data cap in 2 markets, Nashville just happens to be one of them because Comcast has little to no competition here.  Also currently business plans have no data cap, so if you only need Internet from Comcast switch to a business plan for a couple of bucks more.

Netflix recently paid Comcast to allow their traffic better speeds. That was an unfortunate battle lost.

A big issue I have with Comcast right now is the caps they are introducing (my area got it last year). This is set at 300GB no matter what speed plan you have. I have one of the lower speed plans and I already bounced off this limit a few times. What's the point of higher speed if you're still going to end up with surcharges anyway.

Higher speed is nto such a big deal in any case. An hour of streaming video will take about 750M over an hour and on my connection, you can download 300M in about 10 minutes so I'm not sure I'd see the benefit of Gigabit. OTOH, HD and then 4K is coming. Though see how far you get with a 300GB cap then.

In short, we need some competition in this space urgently.

Edited by JayC

I'm amazed at how quickly people gulp down the Google Kool Aide.   They are no different than AT&T Comcast etc.  They don't think twice about mining massive amounts of personal data from their users.  Google Fiber isn't about getting you fast internet because they are trying to do it for the greater good.  They are doing it because they want a faster connection to their end users so they can collect more user data to sever you even more advertising. 

Worth pointing out Comcast only has the data cap in 2 markets, Nashville just happens to be one of them because Comcast has little to no competition here.  Also currently business plans have no data cap, so if you only need Internet from Comcast switch to a business plan for a couple of bucks more.

Actually Comcast has data caps in MANY markets as of may last year. They are now in- Huntsville and Mobile, Alabama; Tucson, Arizona; Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, Georgia; Central Kentucky; Maine; Jackson, Mississippi; Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee; and Charleston, South Carolina

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials-exceed-usage

I'm amazed at how quickly people gulp down the Google Kool Aide.   They are no different than AT&T Comcast etc.  They don't think twice about mining massive amounts of personal data from their users.  Google Fiber isn't about getting you fast internet because they are trying to do it for the greater good.  They are doing it because they want a faster connection to their end users so they can collect more user data to sever you even more advertising.

So they do the same thing Comcast does, but better, faster and cheaper?  :shrug:

I see zero loss in going Google Fiber over Comcast. When Comcast offers what Google does at the same or less cost, I might give them another shot. Until then, goodbye Comcast!

I've drank enough Comcast Kool-Aid. Time for a new brand.  :koolaid:

That's interesting to know. I knew they had trial-ballooned it somewhere but I figured the Nashville thing was part of a bigger roll-out. That actually makes it even more annoying. (Edit: Looks like that was correct)

I did originally consider going with the business class. Mostly because I run my own mail server. It was looking like I would have to pay $10/month for port 25 redirection otherwise but I found easydns offered something similar for something like $20/year. My current plan is 49.99/month and I think the business class was 69.99/month.

So for now, the economic option is to stay with the regular plan. It seems we don't hit the cap every month so it's going to be an annoyance more than anything.

Hopefully with Google coming in, they'll realize it's a way to lose customers really quickly so will drop the caps. Hopefully everywhere in the area and not just where the fiber is put in though.

Edited by tnguy

It's time we brought an end to the content provider controlling the last mile. AT&T is required to allow other companies access to their phone lines. For several years, I had my DSL provided by Bill Butler, later bought out by Nexus. Unfortunately, DSL ended up being inadequate for my needs or I would have stayed with them but governments need to be better managing these monopolies of their own creation and allowing/forcing access to the last mile. (I am not a fan of internet being provided by municipal governments)

Of course, as previously mentioned...

r7qa7a.jpg

Edited by tnguy
  • Admin Team

It's time we brought an end to the content provider controlling the last mile. AT&T is required to allow other companies access to their phone lines. For several years, I had my DSL provided by Bill Butler, later bought out by Nexus. Unfortunately, DSL ended up being inadequate for my needs or I would have stayed with them but governments need to be better managing these monopolies of their own creation and allowing/forcing access to the last mile. (I am not a fan of internet being provided by municipal governments)

Of course, as previously mentioned...

r7qa7a.jpg

This is the major reason the Cable companies are pushing so many bundled services and AT&T is switching away from services that require copper pair. If they can get enough folks in a community to switch, then they no longer have to support the copper. We've seen several post-disaster communities where they haven't even put it back in.

They claim it's what customers want, but in reality it's because the Telecom Reform Act of 1996 only applies to copper POTS-type services. If they can get away from the medium, then all the competitors like Bill who rode on the collocation provisions no longer have access.

if you think they're bad now, just wait until they shut out all the competition.

http://www.timmins.net/2013/12/11/how-att-verizon-and-comcast-are-working-together-to-screw-you-by-discontinuing-landline-service/

who said Google wasnt trying to do what you described...? Thats how they became one of the largest companies in the world and its how they will continue to grow. All of the major companies do what you described...banks collect your data "except maybe small credit unions", cell phone companies, cable companies, ISP's, Microsoft, Apple, etc etc etc...you name it and people collect it and use it as an advantage in the market place.

If you dont like people mining or using your information you would literally have to cut yourself off from the world.

When <insert big company here> mines your data is an evil company with evil intentions.  When <insert government agency> mines your data it's outrageous.   When Google mines your data it's a great thing!    

Yea, an outstanding company.   I guess some people will trade their 2nd Amendment views for some cheap internet.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20120629/google-adopts-anti-gun-policy

They claim it's what customers want, but in reality it's because the Telecom Reform Act of 1996 only applies to copper POTS-type services. 

The problem with TC96 was that the FCC lacked the authority and balls to enforce it.   It could have been modified along the way to meet the changes needed but no one has the balls to stand up to deep pocked campaign donors.

When <insert big company here> mines your data is an evil company with evil intentions.  When <insert government agency> mines your data it's outrageous.   When Google mines your data it's a great thing!    

Yea, an outstanding company.   I guess some people will trade their 2nd Amendment views for some cheap internet.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20120629/google-adopts-anti-gun-policy

I never said they were a great company...I said data is how they have gotten as big as they have. Comcast and google are in the same boat as far as I'm concerned...both donated to the current administration and both made sure he got into office so that shows you how "great" they are. Will that prevent me from getting google services? No...will I cancel comcast because they donated to Obama...? No...Will I turn in my Windows computer because Microsoft steals my data and donated to Obama...? No...Will I toss my Ipad in the trash because the current and previous Apple CEO donated to Obama and are anti-gun...? No...Will I pitch a fit because most of the companies I listed are against a lot of things I believe in...? Probably not because I would have no car, no truck, no computer, no clothes, and no house if I judged every decision I make based on somebody elses view or stance on something I am passionate about.

Political BS aside...when it comes to the best content and internet, Google is the best...no arguing that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin Team

Unfortunately, as Americans we're going to have to go through some dark times before we get an internet that's truly open.

Enfield's right.  The first impact most Americans will notice will be the new fees that suddenly appear on their bill.  You're about to be paying for all kinds of stuff.

• Like 2