Renewing my HCP in the morning

Just wanted to check and make sure nothing had changed since the last time I renewed, such as having to bring birth certificate etc or if only my HCP is enough?

I assume nothing has changed. You don't need to resubmit a birth cert to renew by mail.

- OS

• Like 1

I renewed mine by mail a month or two ago.  I just filled out the form and mailed it with a check.  The check likely being the most important part. 

Absolutely! The money is the most important part...gotta keep the dollars coming in!

• Like 1

I heard a friend say that they had gone up in price. If so is that just on new permits or renewals also?

Tell friend he shouldn't spread rumors. Fees can only be changed by amending 39-17-1351 in TCA and that has not happened.

As a matter of fact, starting next year, unless they do indeed raise the price at some point,  the overall price will be cheaper over time,  as the permits will be for 5 years instead of 4, at the same price.

Above statement is wrong. Price will be the same for the 4 year period. However, the 5 year cycle will indeed cost more than 115/50.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Since y'all brought up cost of renewal, it made me think. I didn't really pay much attention when he said it but as I read this I remembered him saying "That'll be $37.50 please". I didn't even think about the "$50" it had been before. So I pulled up my bank account just now to make sure I was remembering his statement correct and yes, that's what he charged me???

Since y'all brought up cost of renewal, it made me think. I didn't really pay much attention when he said it but as I read this I remembered him saying "That'll be $37.50 please". I didn't even think about the "$50" it had been before. So I pulled up my bank account just now to make sure I was remembering his statement correct and yes, that's what he charged me???

Though I don't see the provision exactly spelled out in the new statute that goes into effect in 2016, looks like they are pro-rating the renewals to coincide with birthdate.

I'll bet yours is for 3 years instead of the 5 that will take effect later?

"[Effective January 1, 2016 or earlier, see Compiler's note]

(3) Notwithstanding this subsection (n), every handgun carry permit issued or renewed by the department on or after the effective date of this subdivision (n)(3), shall be issued for a period of five (5) years and shall expire on the permit holder's birth date. The commissioner shall issue an initial permit or permit renewal for three (3) to seven (7) years, whichever number is necessary to ensure that the permit will expire on each subsequent birth date of the permit holder that is divisible by five (5). It is the intent of this subdivision (n)(3) that after the initial renewal, the renewal date for persons who have both a handgun carry permit and a driver license be the same date. The fee for any original permit and any permit renewal due under this section for a permit issued or renewed on or after the implementation of this act shall be prorated to reflect the appropriate fee for a renewal cycle of greater or lesser length than five (5) years."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Though I don't see the provision exactly spelled out in the new statute that goes into effect in 2016, looks like they are pro-rating the renewals to coincide with birthdate.

I'll bet yours is for 3 years instead of the 5 that will take effect later?

"[Effective January 1, 2016 or earlier, see Compiler's note]

(3) Notwithstanding this subsection (n), every handgun carry permit issued or renewed by the department on or after the effective date of this subdivision (n)(3), shall be issued for a period of five (5) years and shall expire on the permit holder's birth date. The commissioner shall issue an initial permit or permit renewal for three (3) to seven (7) years, whichever number is necessary to ensure that the permit will expire on each subsequent birth date of the permit holder that is divisible by five (5). It is the intent of this subdivision (n)(3) that after the initial renewal, the renewal date for persons who have both a handgun carry permit and a driver license be the same date. The fee for any original permit and any permit renewal due under this section for a permit issued or renewed on or after the implementation of this act shall be prorated to reflect the appropriate fee for a renewal cycle of greater or lesser length than five (5) years."

- OS

I believe you're right OS. I was born in '73 so this being 2015 would put 2018 at the divisible by 5 if I added/subtracted right.

Oh, and THANKS! by the way!!

Edited by rugerla1

Recently?

- OS

Month or so ago.   The prior version was due to expire this month.  I just looked at it and the expiration date is mid-march 2019 (not my b'day), so +4 years just like before.  My DL expires on my b'day this year.  :shrug:

Month or so ago.   The prior version was due to expire this month.  I just looked at it and the expiration date is mid-march 2019 (not my b'day), so +4 years just like before.  My DL expires on my b'day this year.  :shrug:

Well, I of course have no info. Maybe they're just now starting to phase it in. Obviously have to at some point. No mention of it on TNDOS HCP site, but that never surprises me.

- OS

edit: update: see thread:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/86490-have-the-fees-for-hcp-changed/

With link to interim pricing structure:

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/handgunfees.shtml

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot