HB 0995/SB 1171 Parks

I think, and will have to verify, that the GA could override a veto in the next year, as it is still this General Assembly (109th Session of), odd years are just part of the same session that ends in even numbered years.  He would get his spanking in January, he will not do that I don't think.

Made a call, I was correct, next January is simply an extension.  Even my bill HB0410, (Elder Abuse bill taking "aggravated stalking" to a Class E Felony from a misdemeanor) while relegated to Finance sub in both houses, is still alive and I do not have to start over (rolled to the first calender of Finance next year).  "Uncertainties" at the end of an even numbered years is a death knell, but this year Parks survives to be overridden if the squishy governor vetoes.

It sounds like your having opposition to pass a bill making it a more serious crime with harsher penalties for criminals to terrorize people and physically assualt defensless elderly people. Is there any Rep. who actually opposes that?

OMG, i'm getting a headach.  I take it there's no legal measurment of "immediate vicnity".

There isn't one for "immediate vicinity" of having ammunition near unloaded firearm either, but one can logically assume it would be determined to be quite close.

I'd say it joins the considerable list of things not to worry about. The tennis team shows up, don't watch them from courtside, whatever.

- OS

• Like 2

It sounds like your having opposition to pass a bill making it a more serious crime with harsher penalties for criminals to terrorize people and physically assualt defensless elderly people. Is there any Rep. who actually opposes that?

Evidently Charles Sargent did, Chairman of House Finance, Ways and Means Committee.  They funded a lot of stuff that was over $100K, like $120Million for a new Museum Downtown, but hey, Museums write a lot of checks to campaign funds...

• Like 1

There isn't one for "immediate vicinity" of having ammunition near unloaded firearm either, but one can logically assume it would be determined to be quite close.

I'd say it joins the considerable list of things not to worry about. The tennis team shows up, don't watch them from courtside, whatever.

- OS

I guess with vauge wordage in laws it's smart not to make your local LEO or DA mad at you for any reason. Is there any law out there that pretty much straight to the point and simple to understand?

I guess with vauge wordage in laws it's smart not to make your local LEO or DA mad at you for any reason. Is there any law out there that pretty much straight to the point and simple to understand?

It's illegal to possess a loaded firearm in Tennessee, how simple is that? Everything that does allow you do that is a defense, an affirmative defense, or exception to that basic tenet.

As per Worriedman's comment, which often requires lawyers. It is not in the interest of the trial lawyer lobby to have crystal clear laws with no wiggle room.

- OS

• Like 2

Well, according to the legislative website, the bill has not been signed by Harwell and Ramsey yet and has not been transmitted to the governor.  He is not on the clock until the bill is transmitted to him. 

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/billinfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0995

A lot of times the web site is a few days behind what it actual, believe me, I follow it directly on several issues, and they are not real snappy about keeping up...

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 2

A lot of times the web site is a few days behind what it actual, believe me, I follow it directly on several issues, and they are not real snappy about keeping up...

I am learning that myself since I have been tracking more bills than I usually do this year. 

For the viewing pleasure and edification of the group:

House Vote on Conference Committee Report 0995

House%20Vote%200995_zpse1zsafdj.png

Notice of House Republicans, Madam Speaker Harwell, Patsy Hazlewood and Bob Ramsey voted against the issue.  Present Not voting Republicans Smith, Swan and Mark White.

Democrats in favor Dunlap, Hawk and Windle.

Senate Vote

Senate%20Vote%200995_zpszpi2wh38.png

Of the Senate Republicans, our friend Overbey was the single no vote.

Edited by Worriedman

Well, according to the legislative website, the bill has not been signed by Harwell and Ramsey yet and has not been transmitted to the governor.  He is not on the clock until the bill is transmitted to him. 

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/billinfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0995

I can see those two Haslam lapdogs and fellow anti-gunners in pro-gun clothing delaying as long as possible so that Haslam could have the time to wait and veto after the legislators have gone home.  A lot could happen between now and January (as in a lot of back room dealing and shady negotiations) that might make it difficult to work up the steam to override a Haslam veto come January.  A few well-place, well-choreographed and very over-played (non) incidents in local parks involving firearms might do the trick.  Such 'incidents' would be more likely if some folks didn't realize that the bill hadn't passed and so got 'caught' carrying in a park where carry is forbidden.  Sure, shame on the carrier for not keeping up with the law but also shame on our state government (and their local media puppets) for making things so confusing.

Edited by JAB
I can't understand how anyone can believe that criminals obey signs and laws when they make their living doing the opposite. I just can't decide if they are nieve, stupid, or just trying to pacify those that ARE, in order to keep their cushy jobs.
  • Like 1
Guest realmarauder

it's on the governors desk so the clock starts now. any bets on what happens? i'm guessing our resident clown lets it become law w/o his signature or waits till after the GA adjourns and vetoes it. hopefully it's the former.

Yeah, 132 folks are right on verge or already working for free right now.

- OS

I actually don't think they do. I think they actually get paid extra for the time over. Wasn't there a stink a few years ago when the republicans came into power that the Dems were running the sessions long because they still got money for the extra days?