Testing the Vortex VIP Warranty - Full Story

I thought I'd share my experiences with the Vortex VIP Warranty as they occur.  Hopefully this will help others who encounter issues with their Vortex optics.  

This week, I received a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5-27x56 rifle scope, Item #RZR-42706.  This particular item number has the EBR-2B Mil reticle with 10 Mil per revolution turrets.  I purchased the optic from an individual who received it directly from Vortex.  The scope was New in Box and had been on order for more than four months.  The original owner sold the rifle he planned to put this on and no longer needed the scope.  I was able to get it from him for a good price.

I received the scope on Monday and was very eager to check out the glass in the fading afternoon light.  I rushed home, opened the packaging and removed the cellophane from the optic.  I went outside, peered through the glass and immediately noticed a problem.  Not wanting to get ahead of myself, I quickly rushed inside and double-checked a few items.  First, I verified the item number on the box.  Secondly, I looked at the manual to note which reticle documentation I received.  Next, I observed the turret markings on the scope.  

I then confirmed what I was seeing.  My scope had a MOA reticle.

This combination of Mil turrets and a MOA reticle 1) isn't offered on their website as an option and 2) is not the typical offering of any manufacturer's flagship product line.  

I got in touch with the person who I bought the scope from and he was just as surprised as I was.  I then learned that once he received the scope from Vortex, a Vortex rep called him to confirm he received the correct scope he ordered.  They had shipped four scopes to four people on that same day and one person didn't receive the correct item.  Not wanting to ruin the 'New in Box' characteristic, the original owner checked the item number and confirmed back to the rep.  He did not take the scope out and look through it.  Somehow, this scope passed inspection and left Wisconsin with mis-matched turrets and reticle.

I called Vortex on Tuesday morning and described the issue, even telling them I was technically the second owner.  She quickly apologized and confirmed what I told her; it seemed difficult for her to even imagine this happening.  She advised that she'd send over a FedEx prepaid overnight label to me and to send in the scope along with a service request form.  Due to the popularity and national back-order of this item, she couldn't guarantee the usual seven day turnaround time.  Her continued words of "We will definitely take care of it," were nice to hear.  The other caveat was that she, as a non-technician, couldn't confirm if they would replace the scope with a new one or if they would change out the reticle.

Today, Wednesday, the scope will arrive in Wisconsin and I will post more about the communication and result utilizing the Vortex VIP Warranty.

Edited by leftyk82
  • Like 1

Friday update (three days after shipping to Vortex)

I emailed my customer service contact to find out if I would be contacted during the repair/replacement process and could I expect a tracking number notification since I requested a Signature on Delivery.  Here is her response:

We will only contact you during the repair process if we have additional questions or concerns.  You will, however, receive an email from Fed Ex once it has been repaired notifying you it is on its way back to you with the tracking information.   In fact, I just  checked on your scope and see our technician repaired it late yesterday and it will be shipping back to you today!  We are shipping it back to you via Fed Ex Overnight, so it should be back in your hands very shortly.  I hope this information is helpful.  Please feel free to contact me with any further concerns.  Thank you for your patience in this matter!

• Like 2
I have a buddy that sent his back for a loose turret and they got his repaired and back to him within about 2 weeks, including shopping time. No problems or issues.

I sent mine in after it developed a haze. I thought that perhaps it had developed a leak and moisture had gotten in. They returned it to me with a note stating the lens were cleaned and that a haze is common at higher magnification. While I've seen cheaper scopes lose clarity over time, I was a little surprised they went with the easy out, considering these are supposed to be a decent quality optic.

Hopefully you get a good result with your warranty service.

I have a buddy that sent his back for a loose turret and they got his repaired and back to him within about 2 weeks, including shopping time. No problems or issues.

I sent mine in after it developed a haze. I thought that perhaps it had developed a leak and moisture had gotten in. They returned it to me with a note stating the lens were cleaned and that a haze is common at higher magnification. While I've seen cheaper scopes lose clarity over time, I was a little surprised they went with the easy out, considering these are supposed to be a decent quality optic.

Hopefully you get a good result with your warranty service.

Not sure exactly what your's looks like but I have seen "scope flare" at high magnification when the sun was going down. Turning it back a little makes it go away. My Vortex does it but my cousin's Nightforce also does it. I think it's just a thing.

Received the scope back today via Fed Ex.

Accompanying the scope was a work order with the following:

Rifle scope warranty service, NO CHARGE.

RZR- 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C Reticle Mrad:  (scope had wrong reticle).  Installed correct reticle.  2C Mrad.  Cleaned checked and purged unit.  All functions are normal and in good working order.

Thus ends the tale. Case closed and one happy customer.  Now, to the range!

• Like 5

Not sure exactly what your's looks like but I have seen "scope flare" at high magnification when the sun was going down. Turning it back a little makes it go away. My Vortex does it but my cousin's Nightforce also does it. I think it's just a thing.

Here are a couple of pictures of his before he sent it in.  

Low Magnification

IMG_4002_zpsf5ca5654.jpg

High Magnification

IMG_4001_zps5ef85a48.jpg

I'm the buddy he referred to.  The dial on the turret actually came off.  From my first email to them to me getting the scope back was less than 2 weeks.  I was pleased with the turnaround.  I was bit disappointed in how they handled Shorty's case though. 

I'm the buddy he referred to.  The dial on the turret actually came off.  From my first email to them to me getting the scope back was less than 2 weeks.  I was pleased with the turnaround.  I was bit disappointed in how they handled Shorty's case though. 

Yep that's similar to what I've seen but not normally in those shooting conditions. Mine only does it like right before the sun was going down. Low light basically. "Scope flair" was the term I found online. Sure enough if you back down the magnification it goes away. It does look a little hazy in the first pic though on his scope. Weird for sure.