9mm for self defense

Guest jth_3s

Get the 27, a 9mm conversion barrel and a couple G26 mags. In the summer when clothing is light carry 9mm later when its coat season switch to .40 or use the 9mm for cheaper target practice.

I looked at buying a 26 or 27.

I really liked the fact that I had the option to go the conversion route.

I considered the fact that the standard 27 is only 1 round less than the 26. So for the same size package and pretty much the same weight, I get a more powerful round.

I would definitely use a conversion barrel at the range, but I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with a conversion barrel for carry. It would have to prove itself as ultra reliable before I'd do it

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say carry what you are comfortable with and can shoot accurately. Of course I have always liked the saying:

A nine may expand to the size of a 45 but a 45 sure as hell isn't going to shrink to the size of a nine....:D

Haha I never thought of it that way. Im in the camp of carry the biggest thing you can shoot comfortably and confidently. That being said I definitely dont carry a .44mag, but the .45 is just fine for me...sometimes I swap it up with the .40 depending on my mood. However if I shot rediculously better with a 9mm I would be carrying that...I just dont happen to shoot a 9mm any better then a .45 or .40 ;)

Guest oldhack62
...I am not going to fire one round and ask BG if he has had enough, I am going to empty that damn thing because I am scared outta my witts...be it a 9mm, .38, .357, or a .45...

Yes, indeedy! Which is why I'm perfectly comfortable being an extremist on this issue: my little Bersa, 9-shot (8+1) .380 is fine with me, because I'm going to unload the mag anyway -- but, my 11-shot Taurus PT145 is better!:rolleyes:

Here's what I like about 9mm for carry... I can afford to shoot a lot of it. As a result, I'm more practiced, comfortable, and confident with my 9mm handguns than anything else.

That is my reasoning. And I carry Speer gold dot 124gr

seems like there are many opinions on whats best to carry. seems like buying a car, the more people you ask, the more confused you get on which model to purchase. As a first time gun owner, i consulted a friend and thought a 9mm would be best to carry. i since purchased a 9mm, the grip was fine and it shot well with little recoil. now i'm not a gun expert, but seems to me if you hit a target enough times in the right place, who cares what you carry?? i have also found that when asking about whats the best ammo, again, many different opinions. I have chosen wwb or blazer brass to plinking, mostly because its cheaper and seem clean. i have chosen doubletap hollow point for personal protection. as i become more experienced with shooting, i may change my mind but for now, its a 9mm with 16 double stack mag. so, fire away at me and tell me why i should carry something else, again - most people are brainwashed by the hollywood types and the one shot mentality. not me, i know if that day ever happens, i will only be half as good as i am on the range. so, point & click, click, click, click....till there ain't no mo!

Guest oldhack62
...but for now, its a 9mm with 16 double stack mag. so, fire away at me and tell me why i should carry something else...i know if that day ever happens, i will only be half as good as i am on the range. so, point & click, click, click, click....till there ain't no mo!

My most concealable weapons are a Bersa .380cc, and a Taurus Millenium PT145. But, I have TWO S&W Model 59s, with 8 15-round mags. I consider the Model 59 a great 'car gun'.

In short, as far as I'm concerned, a 9 is fine.

Bigger is better, DUH! :D Carry the biggest, largest, most powerful, exotic, man-cannon you can handle.......that being said if your little girly hands are only comfortable with small rounds maybe a .22 is in order :screwy:

of course im just bs'n use what your comfortable and accurate with...its better to hit your target with a small round then miss completely with a larger caliber.