So I shot a Sig P938 the other day.

espacef1fan

Not much to say but what a cool little pistol. I loved the ease of concealment and the familiar 1911esqe controls. It was reasonably accurate in spite of its small size. I can hit a man size silouhette at 25 yards consistently. 7 yards and closer was almost instinctively easy to blow the chest out of the silouhette. The thing that surprised me the most was the far gentler than expected recoil.

Try one, you won't be disappointed.
  • Like 3
"Try one, you won't be disappointed."

Yep! As long as one is accustomed to single action, it is a joy!

The standard equipment night sights are standard size and provide a nice index even when rapidly "quasi point shooting". Edited by Djay3
Just a word of caution, if you were to accidentally put it In the half-cock position it will fire with the the safety engaged. I can't believe they let them leave the factory this way. Other than that, and the price, they are a fine piece.
  • Like 1

Just a word of caution, if you were to accidentally put it In the half-cock position it will fire with the the safety engaged. I can't believe they let them leave the factory this way. Other than that, and the price, they are a fine piece.

That's my biggest problem with the 238 / 938 series for concealed carry. Without the benefit of a 1911-style grip safety, there is no truly safe "cocked & locked" mode (1911 style). This is a bit disturbing for an SA-only pistol. The thumb safety is tiny, and can be easily disengaged by casual contact with foreign objects, such as car seats, and there is no grip safety to back up the thumb safety. Not a fan of the Colt Mustang (as a primary CCW) for the same reason. I much prefer DAO or SA/DA point & fire simplicity, where I don't have to futz with a safety or a hammer when time is of the essence.

So, if  carrying as a defensive firearm, you either carry with the hammer down (safety off), or you take your chances with the half-cock mode. But if it works for you, more power to ya.

Even so,I do have to agree that the P938 and the P238 ARE fun to shoot.

Edited by tartanphantom

That's my biggest problem with the 238 / 938 series for concealed carry. Without the benefit of a 1911-style grip safety, there is no truly safe "cocked & locked" mode (1911 style). This is a bit disturbing for an SA-only pistol. The thumb safety is tiny, and can be easily disengaged by casual contact with foreign objects, such as car seats, and there is no grip safety to back up the thumb safety. Not a fan of the Colt Mustang (as a primary CCW) for the same reason. I much prefer DAO or SA/DA point & fire simplicity, where I don't have to futz with a safety or a hammer when time is of the essence.

So, if  carrying as a defensive firearm, you either carry with the hammer down (safety off), or you take your chances with the half-cock mode. But if it works for you, more power to ya.

Even so,I do have to agree that the P938 and the P238 ARE fun to shoot.

I'd be fine with my p238 with no safety, it has a 7.5lb trigger pull and I carry it in a proper holster. I find it no more likely to go bang than any of my sigs without a factory safety. I was taught to not pocket carry loose guns because it's dangerous. That's what pocket holsters are made for.

I'd be fine with my p238 with no safety, it has a 7.5lb trigger pull and I carry it in a proper holster. I find it no more likely to go bang than any of my sigs without a factory safety. I was taught to not pocket carry loose guns because it's dangerous. That's what pocket holsters are made for.

I don't have a problem with firearms with no safety. None of my DAO pistols have a safety, and none of my revolvers have a safety. My problem is with the combination of single action only w/ a hammer on a semi-auto pistol. The only truly "ready" "Condition 1" status is with the hammer cocked & locked-- and you just can't carry it that way without good safetys. If one has to use the firearm in a defense situation, there is an extra step to cock the hammer before you can fire. You'd be surprised how many seasoned shooters will do this in a pressure situation-- draw, aim and attempt to fire while failing to cock the hammer. If you choose to carry with the hammer down and safety off, I have no problem with that either as long as you can remember to cock before firing under pressure.

A real-life situational threat (speaking from experience) is very different from either the range or quick-deployment bedroom practice. The less steps your brain has to process, the better off you are. I still prefer simplicity of draw, aim, squeeze trigger, repeat.

The double safety design on the 1911 allows for safe cocked & locked Condition 1 carry, the P938 does not.

But like I said before, if you're comfortable with your ability to carry with the hammer down on an SA-only pistol, then I tip my hat to ya. And +1 on the pocket holster. Nothing worse than getting loose tic-tacs stuck in the barrel and pocket change lodged in the trigger mech. :)

Edited by tartanphantom

As long as a gun only fires when the trigger is pulled I consider it safe in my holster.(assuming a reasonable trigger weight of around 5 pounds) I'm fine with my p238 having the additional manual safety but I wouldn't stop carrying it if it didn't, the firing pin safety works fine IMHO. Now 70's series and earlier 1911s are a different animal.

Edited by 2.ooohhh

I've got a 938 two tone that I bought at the end of last year. I've been using it for pocket carry for the the past 6 months or so with no complaints. Its only a hair bigger than the LCP it replaced, and the full size night sights are excellent.

On the whole half cock issue, I can only get mine to go into half cock if I'm riding the hammer forward, while trying to engage the safety. I can't get it to stay in half cock through "normal" handling.

The gun also has a pretty heavy trigger pull (mine measures tight at 8 pounds) for a SA weapon, so it isn't going off unless you want it to. I also always use a holster, and don't carry anything else in the pocket that I'm using to carry.

"On the whole half cock issue, I can only get mine to go into half cock if I'm riding the hammer forward, while trying to engage the safety. I can't get it to stay in half cock through "normal" handling.

The gun also has a pretty heavy trigger pull (mine measures tight at 8 pounds) for a SA weapon, so it isn't going off unless you want it to. I also always use a holster, and don't carry anything else in the pocket that I'm using to carry."

My experience also. I would not recommend the 938 to a (for example) neophyte non-zealous firearm owner. But, it fills a nice and safe carry niche for the "involved" single action enthusiast.

Edited by Djay3

I can't think of a good reason to ever put a P938 (or any SAO gun for that matter) in "half-cock".  Ever.

If you're not comfortable carrying it in Condition 1, then it isn't the gun for you... no big deal, plenty of others to choose from.

• Like 4

I can't think of a good reason to ever put a P938 (or any SAO gun for that matter) in "half-cock".  Ever.

If you're not comfortable carrying it in Condition 1, then it isn't the gun for you... no big deal, plenty of others to choose from.

Exactly.

I wouldn't think of carrying anyone of my 1911 guns in any condition other than cocked with thumb safety engaged much less "half-cock" safety as there is no such position for carry. It is designed to catch the hammer in the event of it falling without the trigger being pulled... It would have never crossed my mind to try and fiddle my 938 into such a position either....

• 2 weeks later...

I've been carrying my 938SAS cocked with the safety on in an IWB holster by FirearmHolster.com for almost 2 years now. I am 100% confident that it will not go off unless I disengage the safety and pull the trigger. It's a great little gun and I don't foresee me ever replacing my EDC with anything else.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta ask....how does one end up with a firearm in "half-cocked" position?  Wouldn't you have to manually put it in this position by thumb-cocking it?