Well, it's not exactly a big score but...

...aside from the Super Colibri I saw at Academy a few weeks back (and in which I have no interest) it is the first .22LR or .22Short I have seen on any big box store shelf, anywhere, ever, period for the past year or so.  My LGS gets .22LR intermittently but not a steady supply.  Benton Shooters Supply had a lot on their shelf the last time I was there (a couple months back) but at around $7 per box for the 'cheap' stuff I imagine it might remain on their shelf for a while.  The ammo I bought (pictured below) was at Sportsman's Warehouse in Chattanooga on Friday morning around 11am or so.  Limit was three boxes per person and other than these three all they had on the shelf was a few boxes of the really high dollar ($8.99 per 50 iirc) Aguila Match ammo and some Super Colibri (again, not interested.)  It kind of hurt to pay over $4 per box when not too long ago I could have gotten all I wanted at Walmart for around $2 per box but such is life.  I have resisted the idea of paying $5 per 50 for a while but am starting to think that is going to be the 'new normal' price even if/when .22LR supplies recover.  Oh, well, it is still cheaper to shoot than anything else.  I don't cast my own bullets so I still can't reload .38 for that.

I will likely just add this to my stash and pull some of the older ammo from the stash to shoot.

IMG_20150404_203801431.jpg

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

JAB...

Let us know how the Agulla shoots... I've never used any...

leroy

I think it's pretty good ammo, especially at that price. When I first heard of it, I was thinking of it for my wife's Smith 417.

Well, I found a couple of boxes, 50 rounds each,and got them.

They all went bang, and seem a little hotter than most of the 22lr I've had recently.

I'm happy with them, till I find something better anyway.
  • Like 1

JAB...

Let us know how the Agulla shoots... I've never used any...

leroy

I have shot a little of it, before.  I stay away from the hyper-velocity Aguila (I heard a rumor they were going to stop making that, anyhow, to focus on their other products.)  The first time I shot any of it in my S&W 22A I didn't even get through a complete mag before a case ruptured and blew the extractor out of the slide, to hell and gone.  I have heard that much of the hyper-velocity .22 ammo from all manufacturers can be a little 'iffy' in some guns, though.  I haven't had any problems with the standard or high velocity stuff, though, and the Sniper Sub-Sonics are interesting to shoot from my old H&R revolver.

Isn't it sad that getting your hands on 3 50rd boxes of 22lr is post worthy.......but it is !

That was kind of what I was thinking as I was creating the post - that I couldn't believe I was excited enough about finding three danged 50 round boxes (and at over $4 a box, at that) actually on a shelf to post about it.  Such are current conditions, though.

I kind of predicted that .22 ammo would be involved in the (now current) craziness back before the craziness actually hit.  For that reason, I picked up as much extra .22 ammo as I could in the short time (maybe a month or two) between getting that 'feeling' and the actual 'shortage' hitting.  It was enough that I have a cushion but not a whole lot so I get excited when I find enough .22LR somewhere to feel comfortable digging into my stash and shooting some of my .22 handguns and rifles (basically being able to maintain a small stash by replacing what I shoot.)

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
Just FYI for anyone in Mid TN, I was at Outpost Armory about a week and a half ago and they had 500 rd boxes (5 100rd trays) of CCI standard velocity at around $40. I will say it was on a Monday when I was there so sure if you went on a weekend they wouldn't have it, but they had a pretty good supply of that and the federal auto match 325 rd boxes (think that was $29.99)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you don't have to cast your own 38s.   500 rounds of lead blobs costs about $30*** + shipping and many places have  bulk shipping option that greatly reduces it (being heavy, you gotta find a good approach to the shipping or it can really jack up the costs!!).    That puts a 38, assuming free brass,  at $5/box roughly, equal to the higher priced .22 but still more than cheaper 22 costs at walmart / sportsmans/etc if you can luck into a box.  Sometimes the box stores or local shops have lead projectiles,  and many can get them if you ask enough times or order a bunch.  I honestly don't know WHY lead isnt used more often in the smaller (anything with less momentum than a 357 mag)  by the reloading community.   I use it in any cartridge when I find it.  Sometimes you can find some at gun shows but paying $10 to get in on a "maybe" is kinda steep. 

*** lead bullets cost more for heavy grains than light.  I use 380s in my 38sp.  Paying more for a 50% heavier bullet just to shoot paper is defeating the entire purpose of trying to be thrifty. 

Edited by Jonnin

Just FYI for anyone in Mid TN, I was at Outpost Armory about a week and a half ago and they had 500 rd boxes (5 100rd trays) of CCI standard velocity at around $40. I will say it was on a Monday when I was there so sure if you went on a weekend they wouldn't have it, but they had a pretty good supply of that and the federal auto match 325 rd boxes (think that was $29.99)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really pricey at close to $30.00 a box. When I was in Erie PA recently Wallmart had it readily avaialable at $13.00 for the Federal Auto Match. But then they did not have any perfecta of any caliber so I guess different regions get different stock.

For what its worth Academy in MJ seems to get 22lr in on a regular basis.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Beretta Neos U-22 I used to have hated Augila .22lr ammo. It would jam almost every other round due to a failure to feed. I think the springs were too stiff or the feed ramp was too steep, becuase my Ruger 10 22 has fed everything I've ever loaded in it flawlessly.