Honestly honest hog gun opinions....

Probably not with 2400 but data is a plenty for other powders.

If you liked that one, how's about this one? It's a 320(ish) grain. I machined the bottom driving band and lube groove off of a 500g (.458) Lee mold. I size them back to .454 and shoot them in my single shot Handi Rifle.

Technically, those are Casull cases, but I have loaded them into Starline Colt cases too.

image_zps33f906a5.jpg

Edited by Caster

Rob,

I would have at least a 30 cal rifle to hit the bushes for wild boars. I would also have a at least a 38 cal side arm to defend against a charging boar from the bush.

BTW....You inspired me to attend my 1st Tenneessee Classic and make my 1st Primitive Bow from a Oasge stave....love it.

Ive never hunted hogs anywhere except in texas. Ive yet to come across a sow, boar or piglet that a 223 couldnt take down. The brush here seems to be a bit thicker so id go for a shorter rifle like that 45-70 aint it a bush gun anyways?

I will say my new favorite all around LR match and hunting rifle is chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I took it on a hog hunt last christmas block leave and boy was it awesome.
I just scanned the other posts but I have read have not used a 300blk on a hog hunt and would love to go, but over on the 300blk site there are people that rave about using that caliber out to about 100 yards with a lot of luck.

Rob; hunt with what you are comfy with. Hogs are not that difficult to kill as you well know. For your scenario, I think a short barreled quick handling firearm would fit the bill. Me personally, and if it was me (not one of your choices though) would be my Rem 870 Slug gun with 20 inch barrel and rifled slugs. Go with your gut feeling.

Dave

Rob, judging by you posts over time I've taken the idea that you're more into the primitive than modern but I'll offer anyways I've got an AR in 300 blackout that I'd be happy for you to drag along with you. As for hog friendly (actually unfriendly) optics, I've got an EoTech and a 1-4x Nikon both of which have treated me good hunting hogs. If you're interested in something like that just let me know.
I love this place!
You guys!

Luke, thanks for your more than generous offer. You're right, I'm much more of a traditional guy than a modernist. I've decided, after much deliberation, range time, conversations, more range time, Googling & anecdotal evidence, that I'm going to take my GSR .223 I'll be taking my Savage .308 anyway for feeder sitting in the evenings, so if the little gun let's me down, as uncomfortable to carry as it is, I'll still have the Hammer along.
I'm also very much limiting myself to 100yd & under neck shots, not that this is an issue, I'm used to being limited to 15yds!
Rob, got in on this a little late. I've shot hogs with .22 to .458 Socom and all your calibers will work. I was gonna say 30-30 too I read about the action. Bummer, I like that lever gun for hogs ( especially .35) you should fare well with the Gnusite, it's a great little gun!! Jim Edited by sybo