Bug Out Bikes

Don't under estimate how physically demanding a bicycle can be. Sure you can cover more ground faster. But steep grades or long grades can really be demanding especially carrying extra weight.

Agreed, but I'd still rather push a bike laden with saddle bags up a hill than to be carrying the same load on my back. Plus every hill has a downhill side. :)
  • Like 1

Agreed, but I'd still rather push a bike laden with saddle bags up a hill than to be carrying the same load on my back. Plus every hill has a downhill side. :)

No doubt. But just thought I'd throw in that one ought to be prepared physically to ride.

Also, if you don't like to pedal all the time, there are kits that allow you to add a small gas powered engine to the bike.  There is a man in Halls, near Knoxville, that rides one of these all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ABicycle%20Engine%20Kits

Also, if I were going to do a bug out bike, I'd get one of these to go with it.  We used to have one when my oldest was little My wife and I would right and tow her.  It was also great for hauling loads around in as well. Some of them can old almost 200 lbs!!!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Doutdoor-recreation&field-keywords=bicycle+trailer&sprefix=Bicycle+trail%2Caps%2C278&rh=i%3Aoutdoor-recreation%2Ck%3Abicycle+trailer

What got the bike thing started was the discussion about what all a EMP would knock out, like all cars that use computers. Bikes don'e use computers. :)

Newer ones do. Same as cars. Most newer bikes are fuel injected and as such require an ECU (engine management unit).

Let me clarify further , we are talking about bicycles. ☺

Moped, sorry to get off bicycles discussion. I think bikes would be more beneficial to those in more urban areas. Or like the Vietnamese in the war, I think this differs because of type of person though. They were of smaller stature but very lean and muscular. Also were used to a very small low calorie diet to begin with. If your in very good physical condition, and are light and fast, a bike might be a good option. But you are going to have to pack very light too, so there the benefits deminish.
  • Like 1

Moped, sorry to get off bicycles discussion. I think bikes would be more beneficial to those in more urban areas. Or like the Vietnamese in the war, I think this differs because of type of person though. They were of smaller stature but very lean and muscular. Also were used to a very small low calorie diet to begin with. If your in very good physical condition, and are light and fast, a bike might be a good option. But you are going to have to pack very light too, so there the benefits deminish.

So if motor transportation wasn't available, what would you do walk, ride a bicycle or find an animal?

So if motor transportation wasn't available, what would you do walk, ride a bicycle or find an animal?

I think transportation would be a latter concern. I'm not leaving home for quite a while. We live in a pretty remote area. I would be looking for animals as transportation if vehicles were somehow not an option. If was somehow stranded out from home Im probably walking. Unless there just happens to be a large framed mountain bike lying around, then I might try it.
  • Like 1

There's not too many horses, donkeys, mules, etc. just standing around most cities so unless you already own one, I think that leaves you self powered transportation.

Me, I'm riding my bike IF I'm bugging out and have no other powered means.
  • Like 1

I think transportation would be a latter concern. I'm not leaving home for quite a while.

Agreed. I have a bale out option/plan of where I can go, but things will be need to be hopeless at my current home before leaving.
See I think you use whatever is at hand. I think a good, sturdy, inexpensive bike has a place in your bug out or bug in kit. And has pointed out by someone earlier one does not need to feed a bike or gas it up. Not to mention you can use it under normal conditions for things like cheap transportation or getting in shape. ☺ Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

I ain't pedaling squat. Sorry. Too old, fat and broken.

IMHO, Daryl Dixon has set the standard for SHTF bikes with his new ride.

image.jpg1_zpssyxfog1a.jpg

What I really like about these bikes is the nice healthy V-twin sound they produce...

I think transportation would be a latter concern.

For me, there is about a 40% chance I will be away from home. When I'm on the road I am a minimum of 3 hours away (by car at interstate speeds) and about 60% of that time I'm more than 6 hours away. Procuring a bike with a kiddie trailer is high on my list of things to do to get home. The next biggest challenge for me depends on which direction I'm in. If I'm east I should be good. If I'm west I will have to cross the Miss and the TN rivers. If it happened to be a quake event these could be serious barriers

• Like 1