Ugly Drum Smoker?

I am interested in building an "UDS" Ugly Drum Smoker, but I am having the hardest time finding a food grade 55 gallon Steel drum. Does anyone have idea where I can find one close to Symrna or Murfreesboro area? I see them for sale all the time on cragislist but they always tend to be at least 2 hrs or more away. I can't see driving that far to spend $20 bucks.

I am interested in building an "UDS" Ugly Drum Smoker, but I am having the hardest time finding a food grade 55 gallon Steel drum. Does anyone have idea where I can find one close to Symrna or Murfreesboro area? I see them for sale all the time on cragislist but they always tend to be at least 2 hrs or more away. I can't see driving that far to spend $20 bucks.

There's a guy that sets up in the parking lot of an abandoned business on Almaville Road just off of I-24 that sells all sorts of barrels. I saw that he had numerous 55-gallon drums that appeared to be food grade. EDIT: Coming from Antioch you'd turn right on Almaville Road and he was in the first parking lot. He was there on a Saturday morning, and from the look of his truck set-up he does this regularly.

There was a cat on here that lives off of Smith Springs Road and I-40 who sold me a barrel a couple of years ago, but I don't remember his screen name. He might see this and answer. Mine had contained Canola oil.

But, there are a few places online who sell them that have never had anything in them. More expensive, but clean.

Edited by SWJewellTN
  • Like 1

I wonder if the people who build grills/smokers out of old drums as a business give a crap about what was in it before.  From the ones I've see the answer is no.

They don't sell Oak Ridge 55 gallon drums, those are buried somewhere.  I have a feeling fire will take care of what was in any other non-food grade drum.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

I wonder if the people who build grills/smokers out of old drums as a business give a crap about what was in it before.  From the ones I've see the answer is no.

They don't sell Oak Ridge 55 gallon drums, those are buried somewhere.  I have a feeling fire will take care of what was in any other non-food grade drum.

Probably this, but I can think of several non foods items I wouldn't want in mine. Like mayonnaise  :yuck: .

• Like 3

Most of the food grade barrels have a coating that will be affected by high temps. Now if you can find a stainless steel then you would be smoking with gas.

Buying new from one of the sites you can get uncoated. Most do have an epoxy resin coating. I filled mine full of sticks and lighter fluid and burned it off first thing.

The problem with the drums is that they rust out quick around the seams. I painted mine with header paint and it still rusted. I replaced it with a heavy gauge side-box smoker that I sealed with high temperature silicon seal to help keep the smoke in. It works better.

There is a place in Fairview call Nashville barrel and drum that sells clean drums that have been used but cleaned out and reconditioned. Have no idea price.

I tried to find the link but failed. 

http://www.nashvillebarrelanddrum.com/

not much info there.  Thought the site was being camped by a domain seller until I found the following.

Welcome

Nashville Barrel & Drum Service provides New & Used: Barrels, Drum & Kegs to the entire Middle Tennessee & Northern Alabama Area. Please contact us for more information.

The problem with the drums is that they rust out quick around the seams. I painted mine with header paint and it still rusted. I replaced it with a heavy gauge side-box smoker that I sealed with high temperature silicon seal to help keep the smoke in. It works better.

Yep. Drums are pretty thin. If you do a burn out, it'll rust quickly afterwards. Paint the outside with high temp paint and leave the inside greasy after cooking.

I'd look for a water heater tank or old propane tank. They're much more robust.

Try Cowley Container in Mt. Pleasant. Get the thickest gauge you can. 

The deposit on a stainless would make you want to use a steel drum. Additionally, stainless is hard to cut.

Ditto on the propane tank above. I made one from a drum once and it won't last near as long as a tank.

I was wanting to use a drum because from what I have seen there is not a lot of cutting and welding involved. I thought when I saw someone using one on a bbq forum it would be easy to find a drum/barrel but guess not. I will try to see if I can find one online for a decent price if not I will just scrap the idea.

Honestly, I think an old propane tank is better. Just make sure that you fill it up with water before cutting. There are more than a couple of instances where someone was told that a tank was completely empty to find out otherwise. Better safe than sorry.