Does carry gun have to be registered to carry?

I have a CZ70 semi-auto pistol that my son wants to buy. It is registered to me. If he bought this pistol from me, would it have to be resistered to him. In order to use it as one of his carry pistols? He just got his carry permit in the mail this past weekend. The carry class instructor told them that any handgun that you carry has to be registered tto you. Thanks, gearyr

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

No, there is no firearm registry in the state of TN (assuming you or your son live in TN). Your instructor was wrong. You can't have a gun "registered" in your name. When you buy a guy from a dealer, they don't register that gun to you. They run the background check with the state and the state destroys the record of the background check within 72 hrs. The only record of you owning that gun is on the Form 4473 you filled out and in the dealer's Bound Book, both of which the dealer keeps in his/her possession. Beyond that, there is no record of what gun belongs to who.

Edited by bkelm18

registration is not required in tn. if you bought it new i think the form you filled out will follow you forever. i was told the same thing 13 years ago. i actually tried to register cant be done in tn. if you are worried get a bill of sale and drive on.

Guest bkelm18
i am still waiting for someone to tell me where that paper work goes when a dealer closes its doors. he has to turn it over to one of the alphabet agencies and i dont believe they ever destroy it.

This is from 1995 so I don't if it has changed since then:

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fflnews_pub/ffl0995.htm

GOING OUT OF BUSINESS

ATF continues to receive inquires regarding the records to be surrendered upon permanent discontinuance of business by Federal firearms licensees. If the business is being discontinued completely, the licensed dealer is required, within 30 days, to forward his records to the

ATF

Out-of-Business Records Center

Falling Waters, West Virginia 25419

The records consist of the licensee s bound acquisition/disposition (A/D) records, ATF Forms 4473, ATF Forms 5300.35 (Brady forms), ATF Forms 3310.4 (Multiple Sale), and records of transactions in semiautomatic assault weapons. If the licensee was granted a variance to use a computerized recordkeeping system, the licensee is required to provide a complete print-out of his entire A/D records.

If someone is taking over the business, the original licensee will underline the final entry in each bound book, note the date of transfer, and forward all records and forms to the successor (who must apply for and receive his own license before lawfully engaging in business) or forward the records and forms to the ATF Out-of-Business Records Center. If the successor licensee receives records and forms from the original licensee, the successor licensee may choose to forward these records and forms to the ATF Out-of-Business Records Center.

Failure to surrender the required records is an offense punishable by fine and/or imprisonment. A licensee discontinuing business must immediately notify the Firearms and Explosives Licensing Center in Atlanta, Georgia.

No such thing as gun registration in TN.

A TN Handgun Carry Permit allows you to carry any handgun(s) you have. The intructor was wrong. I'm curious who he was myself.

39-17-1351(n)(1)

Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer

Edited by Fallguy

The only place where the S/N of the gun and your name are associated is on the 4473 form when you make the purchase... the dealer keeps that form as a record of the transfer, and background check on you, but niether the state nor ATF keep a 'registry' of whay you own, and there is no way to 'register' a gun which you buy privately (though I'm sure there are shops of ill-repute who would gladly take your money and 'transfer' you your own gun).

EMTRN, I do not have a carry permit yet. My son and his wife took there carry class at Guns & Leather in Greenbier, TN. So, I can sell him my CZ70 and he should not have any problem. Thanks, gearyr.

My guess would be that your son misinterpreted something the instructor said. I took my class at Guns and Leather and the instructor never said anything about registering a carry gun.

Guest Astra900
No, there is no firearm registry in the state of TN (assuming you or your son live in TN). Your instructor was wrong. You can't have a gun "registered" in your name. When you buy a guy from a dealer, they don't register that gun to you. They run the background check with the state and the state destroys the record of the background check within 72 hrs. The only record of you owning that gun is on the Form 4473 you filled out and in the dealer's Bound Book, both of which the dealer keeps in his/her possession. Beyond that, there is no record of what gun belongs to who.

They are SUPPOSED to destroy them. I can assure you they don't. I know one FFL, that wants to remain anonymous that found this out from the BATFE during their last random audit.

There is no LEGAL registry. THe crooked bastards don't play by their own rules though:mad:

Guest bkelm18
They are SUPPOSED to destroy them. I can assure you they don't. I know one FFL, that wants to remain anonymous that found this out from the BATFE during their last random audit.

There is no LEGAL registry. THe crooked bastards don't play by their own rules though:mad:

Well yes, we can debate conspiracy theories and what they should do vs. what they shouldn't do all day. Such is the nature of Government.

i am still waiting for someone to tell me where that paper work goes when a dealer closes its doors. he has to turn it over to one of the alphabet agencies and i dont believe they ever destroy it.

At the point that a dealer goes out of business they hand the forms over to the ATF.

Guest Verbal Kint
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.......whoa..... say again?

:P

It's true! Not only that... but when a dealer goes out of business, I'm pretty sure that they hand over all of their records to the BATFE! Figured I'd toss that out there, also, since no one has mentioned that... more than 5 times yet.

:)

Swear to God... does an answer only become true if X amount of people restate the exact damn thing? Or do people just like seeing themselves "talk"? Or do they simply not read past the initial post? You'll have one person ask a question... and 30 people answer it with the same exact answer. But apparently it's only true when the 31st person comes along and blesses the conversation with the same response.

Guest bkelm18
It's true! Not only that... but when a dealer goes out of business, I'm pretty sure that they hand over all of their records to the BATFE! Figured I'd toss that out there, also, since no one has mentioned that... more than 5 times yet.

Swear to God... does an answer only become true if X amount of people restate the exact damn thing? Or do people just like seeing themselves "talk"? Or do they simply not read past the initial post? You'll have one person ask a question... and 30 people answer it with the same exact answer. But apparently it's only true when the 31st person comes along and blesses the conversation with the same response.

violin.gif:P

I think some folks like to watch their post counts get bumped by non contributive post. Kinda like +1 or mocking others who do this or simply posting smilies.:P

I think some folks like to watch their post counts get bumped by non contributive post. Kinda like +1 or mocking others who do this or simply posting smilies.:)

I think some of it may come from theads where I've seen one person answer the OP's question and when that answer wasn't what the OP expected or thought it should be (even on something this clear cut) the OP comes back and challenges the answer and others would back the answer up.

Now everyone just keeps backing up the answer until the OP responds back.

Of course after that happens...not sure why other's keep posting...lol