$250.00 S&W 65-3s at GT's

Paisan

GT's has at least a couple of stainless, 4", 65-3s in good condition. The one I played with yesterday had holster wear, but was tight, with excellent barrel alignment and sub - .004 cylinder gap. These are fixed-sight, square butt, K- Frame .357s.

I haven't been in the used revolver market for a long time, but doesn't $250 sound like a good deal? My use would be as a lighter-weight woods carry gun. An alternative to my 686.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I'm assuming since they're located in Georgia that anything bought through them would require an FFL dealer.  Those of you Tennessee residents who've bought handguns from them before, how exactly does this work?

GT is just across the border.  If I'm not mistaken an employee drives the gun to an FFL down the street on the Tennessee side.

For $250 it would be real hard to pass up.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4

GT is just across the border.  If I'm not mistaken an employee drives the gun to an FFL down the street on the Tennessee side.

For $250 it would be real hard to pass up.

I figured that must have some sort of deal like this worked out.

Yea, I work in downtown Chattanooga. I bought a pistol there one time, went to the ffl and did the transfer and background, went to the subway nearby and got a sandwich and took it back to my office in less than an hour.

• Like 1

You pay the Georgia sales tax. The tax and transfer on a gun $397 is right at $50. So if you buy a gun that is $400 at GT's you actually save from buying it in TN for $400.

If you live in TN and are buying the gun from them via phone or Internet, and not taking possession of it until they "ship it" to TN and you pick it up at a local TN FFL, then they are not allowed by law to collect GA sales tax from you.

If you live in TN and are buying the gun from them via phone or Internet, and not taking possession of it until they "ship it" to TN and you pick it up at a local TN FFL, then they are not allowed by law to collect GA sales tax from you.

I don't think the GA store will sell a handgun over the phone or Internet. It is FTF only. Ironically, They add TN sales tax when you try to buy other stuff online though. Edited by Patton

What law prevents the GA seller or the TN dealer from collecting sales tax?

Turns out that one of the guns marked 65-3 was in fact a 65-1 with pinned bbl, recessed cylinder, and original walnut grips with medallions. Excellent mechanical condition with only very minor surface corrosion. I snagged it at the $250 price and took it to the range , where it acquitted itself quite nicely. I'm jazzed about this purchase and I'm looking forward to some polishing to purty this thing up.

I'm thinking checkered Houges with no finger grooves in Rosewood laminate. Or maybe Cocobolo... or Pau Ferro?

• Like 1

What law prevents the GA seller or the TN dealer from collecting sales tax?

Each state has a state department of revenue, which sets and enforces the laws regarding collection and payment of state taxes by businesses and individuals. If any business is collecting tax from a customer for a product or service which is not taxable under their state law, and as a result they are keeping the extra cash because it is never due or payable to the state, then they can be charged with theft by deception or a similar criminal penalty, or also a civil liability, as it is not legal or permissible for a business to collect revenue under the guise of a state tax but then pocket that money as extra profit on transactions which are not taxable under the state law. I verified this by speaking with two state tax department officials and an attorney, in a case where a KY dealer had attempted to collect KY state tax from me on a large purchase which was ordered over the Internet and shipped to me in TN. The KY department of revenue told the business owner that my transaction was not taxable under their state laws, and that if he collected KY state tax on the transaction he would be liable, so he reluctantly omitted the tax from the transaction.