Incident at Rural King...nothing happened

Interesting. If I were walking in a parking lot with my little girl and noticed a car backing into our direction closely, I would slap the hell out of that car whether it was an accident or not.
I imagine anyone would in that situation. Getting into an discussion about who's getting a beating after the situation is an entirely different scenario, especially with a kid present. However losing my head with an adrenaline dump keeping my kid from getting run over...? No telling what I would do honestly.
The real question I have though is in regards to the idea of pulling your gun on a guy with a little girl in a parking lot. Regardless if glass was broken, fist were thrown, how does one pull on an unarmed man with a kid--unless they felt their life was in danger?
different if it were multiple attackers, he was armed, disparity of size, ect.
Had I been walking with a little kid, I wouldn't expect ANYONE in a vehicle to see me. And I pay close attention in a parking lot. Even if you accidentally got close, he should have gotten out of the way.

Yet another reason why I park at the back of the lot. Less traffic, easier to get in and out.

Some people are just dicks.
  • Like 1

Interesting. If I were walking in a parking lot with my little girl and noticed a car backing into our direction closely, I would slap the hell out of that car whether it was an accident or not.
I imagine anyone would in that situation. Getting into an discussion about who's getting a beating after the situation is an entirely different scenario, especially with a kid present. However losing my head with an adrenaline dump keeping my kid from getting run over...? No telling what I would do honestly.
The real question I have though is in regards to the idea of pulling your gun on a guy with a little girl in a parking lot. Regardless if glass was broken, fist were thrown, how does one pull on an unarmed man with a kid--unless they felt their life was in danger?

anyone here ought to know that no one is ever unarmed.  You can draw and fire in fractions of a second, slightly longer if you are slow, but a well concealed gun is nearly invisible and the time to deploy is tiny.    Drawing first, getting the drop, there is a time to think that way.  You don't have to shoot, but give yourself the option when it makes sense to do so.  Driving off was the better choice HERE, granted.  But in general, no one is *ever* unarmed to me.

as for adrenaline ...  this can also be practiced.  you can do thrill type exercises to get a 'hit' and learn to enter the 5th ring, to be calm in spite of it.  Its a weird sensation, but you don't have to let it affect your rational thoughts, and with a little practice, it won't.   It helps if you already have worked on emotion control before this step, though. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe not the "manly" thing to do, but a simple...."Woah dude, sorry about that!".....would have probably diffused the situation and you wouldn't have gave it another thought.  You were backing out with your car.  Had you hit him, even if he walked into you, you are at fault. (Pedestrians on foot always have the right of way).  I have always took the stance that when armed, it is my job to do everything I can to diffuse ANY situation I am involved in.  I am not 16 any more so I don't see the need to prove my worth with my fists then have to pay for being stupid.  Staying cool in the face of adversity is something I strive for, and if a situation does escalate to where my life or my loved ones around me are in danger, at that point am I to reach for my firearm.  Glad you got out of there.    

It's also pretty clear when you are sitting with your back up lights on trying to back out and some jerk stops directly behind you for no reason but to push your buttons.

It USED to be clear that backup lights meant a vehicle was backing up, unfortunately I now have to deal with back up lights coming on on vehicles randomly that don't even have drivers in them b/c some idiot at GM thought it was a good idea to tie them to the unlock button. Now in parking lots I give NO right of way to cars with reverse lights on, if it isn't already moving backwards I assumed they can  just wait.

So really.......?  Slapping a car makes it stop? How?  I would definitely spend my time and energy removing myself and child out of the way.  Remember an armed society is a polite society and we are surrounded by idiots.  If you carry, it is assumed you have the brains and maturity to avoid confrontation.  The OP made a mistake by not being apologetic as others have suggested.  Brief and get the heck away.  If the pedestrian was 'drunk' call 911 and let the LEO have the extended conversation.

• Like 1

I like the water-ducks-back post. When you're carrying a gun and an altercation is offered, swallow your pride and walk, run, crawl, swim, slither, meander, or fly - but evade the altercation at all costs. You'll wake up a lot happier the next day. Believe me - a LOT happier.

• Like 5

So really.......?  Slapping a car makes it stop? How?

It seems to me that's the quickest way to get the drivers attention (if the radio's not blaring and they're not deaf) and hope (s)he hits the brakes.  If (s)he's backing out slowly, I think it might be your best chance.  Otherwise, jumping on the trunk or out of the way is the next best bet.

It seems to me that's the quickest way to get the drivers attention (if the radio's not blaring and they're not deaf) and hope (s)he hits the brakes.  If (s)he's backing out slowly, I think it might be your best chance.  Otherwise, jumping on the trunk or out of the way is the next best bet.

Or not. Or possibly be startled and inadvertently press the gas, not the brake.