Windows 10 for me thus far

I've been running the insider preview on my Surface Pro for quite awhile. I only use it for meetings etc, and apparently those of us who signed up for it got a free upgrade to the full version of 10.

So far, I haven't found that to be the case. Win 10, despite being on a Microsoft phablet (I hate that word but it works) didn't integrate as well as I thought it should have. The pen didn't work half the time. The right side menu someones wouldn't open, etc, etc. The surface is a tertiary system for me, so I didn't pay it much mind... it's a beta test anyways. Bugs should be expected!

The first lesson is that you will not get a prompt to upgrade to 10 if you're on a domain. Not even your sys admin (that's me) can send you that update. Second lesson was that no matter what I did, even unjoining it from the domain, would allow me to pickup the full version.

No sweat there, I used the backup utility to make a copy of my Win 8.1 image before I installed. Lesson 3, when I tried to restore from that image, it blue screened. So now the OS is corrupt. Since our office uses OEM licensing.. I can't just install 10 on its own. So I use the advanced restore options and told it to reinstall completely. Oddly enough, when it's done... i'm back on 8.1. Didn't expect that, but alright.

It prompts me "you can now upgrade to windows 10!" So I say yes. It drops me to the desktop and begins running windows update. an hour later (on a 100meg pipe) it downloads and installs with an immediate failure. 3 more attempts and each one fails. So I have to blow away the software distribution folder in the windows directory and start that miserable download over again. This time I have 121 updates totaling around 5gb that start to install. That was at 2:25, it's now 4:27 and I'm on 117 of 121.

I had already planned to wait awhile to do it at home.. but this reaffirms that decision.

But hey, it's day 1 of release.

TL;DR - My Surface Pro spoloded

I tried the beta when it came out a while back and it looked like a tweaked version of 8.1. I already have a solid image of my desktop at home so I'll probably grab the free copy of 10 and see if I like it or not...if I dont I'll just throw my 8.1 image back on it.

My macbook pro runs mac os and 8.1 but its enterprise so I probably wont be upgrading my mac to 10 anytime soon. I could probably get one through work for it but I probably wont fool with it.

Edited by tennesseetiger

I downloaded it on my "Test" PC at work today in about 30 minutes with no issues. I just got a new PC at work with 8.1 and I can't wait to upgrade. Oddly enough the update was pushed to the old computer running 7 this morning but still hasn't made it to my newer PC. Both were "reserved" on the same day.

I downloaded it on my "Test" PC at work today in about 30 minutes with no issues. I just got a new PC at work with 8.1 and I can't wait to upgrade. Oddly enough the update was pushed to the old computer running 7 this morning but still hasn't made it to my newer PC. Both were "reserved" on the same day.

You guys are on a workgroup instead of a domain?

Run Windows updates a few times, that should trigger it if you're up to date.

Are you saying I am simple? :)

Of course not, I guess I really am one of those Mac snobs everyone hates.

For the record, I just bought a new one. My old one finally died.....after 8 years. I rarely did the updates and I only had one or two little things fixed by a guy who used post here. Nicemac.
They are stupid expensive but it's hard to fuss when I've used it for so long.
I like Macs for some things, but you just dont get good value when comparing what you can get in a pc for performance. I really wanted to buy a new Mac Pro for my video editing, but I could build a more robust pc for 3k less. At some point it just doesn't make sense. I am installing Windows 10 on my Video Editing PC right now. Looking forward to see the differences.

Windows is like the Anna Kournikova of software. Why it's so popular when there's so much better to be had is a mystery.
I guess you can sell anything if you make it flashy enough.

Umm...she was pretty good at tennis.  Won some doubles, and then there was this.

73780725.qEh0X5iK.AnnaKournikova.jpg

• Like 1

I updated my Surface Pro 3 earlier today.

I did not get the prompt, so tried deleting the software distribution folder and running wuauclt.exe. Windows 10 downloaded but kept failing to install. So I decided to download the utility and create a boot USB - guess what, the tool gives you the upgrade option WITHOUT creating a boot disk or USB.

Can get the tool from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download, run, and select upgrade this PC.

So far no issues on my Surface Pro. I need to boot up my laptop and let the Win10 preview upgrade to the full version.

My 1 week old laptop with "reservation" for 10 still has not received a thing about the upgrade! 

Have you installed all of your windows updates?

Microsoft has stated they are doing it in waves, so it's possible you may get it soon. You have a year to upgrade so if you don't get it on day 1 I wouldn't worry.

I updated my Surface Pro 3 earlier today.

I did not get the prompt, so tried deleting the software distribution folder and running wuauclt.exe. Windows 10 downloaded but kept failing to install. So I decided to download the utility and create a boot USB - guess what, the tool gives you the upgrade option WITHOUT creating a boot disk or USB.

Can get the tool from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download, run, and select upgrade this PC.

So far no issues on my Surface Pro. I need to boot up my laptop and let the Win10 preview upgrade to the full version.

Yeah the ISO works. Since our network admin tested it, I went with the updates route to see how much different it would be. That way we have something to pass on to the desktop guys since they haven't really tested it.

I just used the link from their homepage and selected the download version.  Worked perfect.  

First impressions are good.  I like the start menu and general use model.  Took about 45 minutes total to download and install to complete upgrade.  That is on a 6 core machine with 32GB RAM.

I just used the link from their homepage and selected the download version.  Worked perfect.  

First impressions are good.  I like the start menu and general use model.  Took about 45 minutes total to download and install to complete upgrade.  That is on a 6 core machine with 32GB RAM.

Went to MS page and couldn't find anything but the 90 day evaluation and the developer tool versions. Do you have a link to where you did the DL from?

I'm running Windows 10 preview build 10162. I went to update using instructions I'd been given and it just locked up. After an hour, I did a reset, which wiped the system and reinstalled Build 10162... only now it's not activated. I can't update it or update to Windows 10.

It looks like I'll have to reinstall 8.0 and then reinstall Windows 10. 

From what I've read today, MS is really messing up this launch. 

Edited by jgradyc

It is a tool to create an ISO image, but allows you to perform an upgrade on the device you download it to.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

So, I can download the ISO, use it to load 10, and then use my Windows 8 product key to install it?

P.S. I've been using Windows 10 Technical Preview since December. I like it a lot better than Windows 8. I added the Classic Shell, which looks a lot like Windows 7.  Cortana might be great if you can't type, but it's slower than just typing in a search.  Edge is, well, just another browser. I'll stick with Chrome because it has add-ons I use every day. Windows 10 boots a lot faster and didn't crash much until the last month or so before the launch. 

Edited by jgradyc