Uneventful night at Bristol

NextExit

Just got back from the race.  Guess they're not going hardcore on the Confederate flag as I thought they might be.  There was a guy with a rebel flag track side and no one asked him to leave.  Plenty of mini flags about.... hats and t-shirts too.  Guess they're only on the lookout for one of those 10 foot flags. :squint:

On the way in, there was a vendor selling t-shirts with the Confederate flag on it and it said "If this shirt offends you, you need a history lesson."  I bought it and put it on... got quite a few compliments. :up: So yes, Bristol is still Bristol.  Guess they don't want to tick off their fans.  Attendance is down and they don't want to make it worse.

• Like 3

Just got back from the race.  Guess they're not going hardcore on the Confederate flag as I thought they might be.  There was a guy with a rebel flag track side and no one asked him to leave.  Plenty of mini flags about.... hats and t-shirts too.  Guess they're only on the lookout for one of those 10 foot flags. :squint:

On the way in, there was a vendor selling t-shirts with the Confederate flag on it and it said "If this shirt offends you, you need a history lesson."  I bought it and put it on... got quite a few compliments. :up: So yes, Bristol is still Bristol.  Guess they don't want to tick off their fans.  Attendance is down and they don't want to make it worse.

I used to never miss a NASCAR race, on T.V. or live, until Brian France destroyed it. I would rather go and watch "paint dry" then what NASCAR has turned into. :2cents:  

A few years back you couldn't get a ticket to Bristol unless you had connections or paid a scalper. Now they have empty seats. I'm glad to see what's left of the fans still remember their roots and show Brian France what he can do with PC rules.

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 2

Yea Bristol use to be a standing room only crowd but I did notice a lot of empty seats both Friday and Saturday Night. I have to hand it to the people of Bristol raceway. The ceremonies that take place just before the race was a very dedicated American Loyalty Program for sure. No other tracks put on that kind of ceremony.........Give the 3.. :up:  :up:  :up: for that. 

• Like 1

I travel a lot throughout TN MS and AL, I've seen more stars n bars than ever at full mast on pickup trucks and homes. Reminds me of a parking lot at a hank jr show!

yep, I don't know if more flags are being displayed or they are just having a lot more attention paid to them but either way folks are getting the point across for sure............... :up: :up: :up:

I used to never miss a NASCAR race, on T.V. or live, until The France Family destroyed it. I would rather go and watch "paint dry" then what NASCAR has turned into. :2cents:

The France family founded and owns NASCAR and has since day 1.
How do you think NASCAR has been destroyed?

NASCAR isn't destroyed, maybe just a little too big for its britches.

It is big money. Been that way for a long time, now the amounts are obscene.

The sport peaked ten years ago. You could not get tickets to most any Cup race, tracks expanded seating, new tracks were built. Now they can't fill any of them.

I don't think that has to do with the France family or political correctness.

A few years back you couldn't get a ticket to Bristol unless you had connections or paid a scalper. Now they have empty seats.

Attendance being down is because of the technology we have today. Big Screen HD TV” s and DVR.

I went to the Brickyard 400 this year so my Grandson could experience a race. But I am spoiled and have no desire to go to the races.

As with all TV, I DVR the race and watch it on my schedule; not theirs. I watch it on a 65” big screen in HD, I have the best view at the track, get to hear from the divers, know what’s going on all the time, get to rewind or fast forward, and can skip commercials.

So what am I missing? The heat, the crowds, the hard seats, knowing someone just crashed but not knowing who, $10 beers (Yes, I paid $20 for two beers in the stands and the guy said they appreciate tips), the smells? I’m okay with missing out on that stuff.

But yes, there are some stupid rules. Speeding on pit road? Give me a break. But all the drivers are saddled with the same non-sense. Edited by DaveTN

NA$CAR has made the "folks are staying home to watch us on TV" argument for a number of years now...in the face of viewership numbers that have fallen by double-digit rates every year.  If all those folks who aren't filling a seat at the track were watching on their DVR and big-screen HDTVs, those numbers would be heading in a different direction.  They alienated the older fan base in pursuit of that all-important 18-35 group years back - and they accomplished that shift.  They also inherited the attention deficit and what-have-you-done-for-me today attitude of their treasured young-ins, and forgot that  the older group they kicked to the curb accounted for more disposable income.  Their racing product sucks - this coming from someone who was a competitor at both the LMS (now Xfinity) and Grand National (now somebody's Cup) level for over 10 years.  That's why hte seats are empty.  But Daytona doesn't care - the TV deal has lined their pockets, so they could care less if there is not a single fan cross the gate - that's the track-owners deal...and since they own about 50% of the venues, well...

• Like 1

yep, I don't know if more flags are being displayed or they are just having a lot more attention paid to them but either way folks are getting the point across for sure............... :up: :up: :up:

I think both.  One of the vendors send they were surprised at how may shirts and flags they sold at Watkins Glen.  I said "All these years and no one thought twice about seeing the flag until NASCAR opened a can of worms."

Attendance being down is because of the technology we have today. Big Screen HD TV” s and DVR.

I went to the Brickyard 400 this year so my Grandson could experience a race. But I am spoiled and have no desire to go to the races.

As with all TV, I DVR the race and watch it on my schedule; not theirs. I watch it on a 65” big screen in HD, I have the best view at the track, get to hear from the divers, know what’s going on all the time, get to rewind or fast forward, and can skip commercials.

So what am I missing? The heat, the crowds, the hard seats, knowing someone just crashed but not knowing who, $10 beers (Yes, I paid $20 for two beers in the stands and the guy said they appreciate tips), the smells? I’m okay with missing out on that stuff.

But yes, there are some stupid rules. Speeding on pit road? Give me a break. But all the drivers are saddled with the same non-sense.

I think part of the decline is cost.  $90, $150, or more for a ticket $20+ for parking, $6 beer, $5 cheeseburger, + hats, shirts, and it can easily total over $200.

However, there's no commercials and the fans are decent.  Never had any problems there.  Traffic is a pain but what sporting event isn't? Twice a year is worth it to me... besides, my Uncle comes down to that race so we get time to visit. :up:

To each there own, but about the only sporting event I care to watch on TV is football.  I never had an interest in soccer until I was stationed in Germany.  Went to a game and loved it but still can't watch it on TV... it's just not the same.  I find NASCAR the same.  It's OK on TV but I'd rather be there. :2cents:

I completely lost interest after the fallout from Earnhardt Sr's death. The "sport" had clearly been moving in the direction of being more about "the show" than actual racing, and that was the last straw for me.

I used to live near Bristol and went to one race maybe 10 years ago. Most awful race track experience of my life. Exceedingly boring race, drunks screaming profanities at drivers who can't see or hear them, rednecks spilling beer on my wife, most people only getting excited when there was a wreck, and don't get me started on the traffic.... I just don't see the draw. We learned to leave town on race weekends.

They can't control who shows up with them...I saw a guy with one right next to the fence by the finish line at Michigan of all places.

I think Nascar was trying to get out in front of the media wild fire that was going on but at the end of the day they can't control who shows up with those flags and if they actually attempt to you'd see a pretty decent sized uproar.