It's coming home!! (First gun i ever fired)

Parrothead

I don't know how to start this. Very emotional topic but i feel that i can share it here among folks who would understand. A couple months ago, my great uncle (87) passed away after a battle with cancer. He was a U.S. Army veteran of the Korean War and distinguished himself with meritorious service with the 45th Infantry Division. He was awarded the bronze star along with other medals and was honorably discharged in 1956.

He was like a third grandfather. Due to geographical challenges, he was much closer to me than many other family members. He taught me how to shoot. My first round was fired on his farm in the hills of North East TN.

Before he passed, i expressed to my grandmother how much one particular gun in his collection meant to me. It was a 9mm. When i shot it around age 10, i had no idea of the significance. When my grandmother inquired about this gun on my behalf, she was told that it had been sold. Over the years, the gun in question served by my great uncles right hand. It was the gun found under the newspaper on the coffee table. He had many guns but this one was special to him. As i aged, he finally told me the story of the "9mm." This particular gun was brought back from Germany after WWII by a friend of his. It was a German P-38.

After he passed, i would have been pleased with the opportunity to purchase any of his guns from the family. Unfortunately, that opportunity never came. However, my grandmother called me tonight and everything changed. She told this story to another family member only to find out that he had purchased the gun from my great uncle. He graciously gave the firearm to her for me to pick up. For this i cannot thank him enough. It's not only a damn cool piece of history--it's a family heirloom that i will treasure as long as i live.

I don't think i can say anything to this individual to express how much i appreciate the generosity shown during a very tough time. I greatly miss my uncle and my friend but i this gesture will allow me to keep his memories close whenever i pick up this firearm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5UevdKIk4

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 5

I am so glad you were able to located and actually get your hands on an heirloom gun. I have got the first gun I ever took game with. It is a single shot 22 falling block my father had when he was a child. I also have a 410 shotgun that hung in my grandfather's barn and my wife uses it to shoot skeet.

My father had a bunch of family heirlooms that had been in the family for a very, very long time. In a moment when he was upset he gathered then all up and took them to a local gunsmith, not to repair or store them but to get rid of them. I was fortunate because one of the workers called me and told me. But by the time I got there the only thing left was this old beat up single shot. I would have loved to have had the Winchester pump 22 my grandmother used to put food on the table but it was gone within seconds. It was promised to me, then my father promised it to our son who really liked it. Then my father got pissed and gave them all away just to spite us. Even though about a 1/4 of them were guns given to me by relatives he would not let me have them saying I would get them eventually. I figured I would just let things ride for the time being because I never would have thought he would give away all those guns.

My father was dealing with my drug using brother and got scared. He decided to get rid of everything which I do not blame him but what I do blame him for is he did this is after I had offered to store everything at my house. He probably blamed me for my brother getting arrested for trying to kill my family and I. So out of spite he took all those heirloom guns and told the shop to get rid of them. Outside of the heirloom value there was probably $10K worth of guns that he gave away.

I looked long and hard for any of those guns at every single gun show for a year. I was hitting pawn shops and gun stores but I could never locate any of them. And that is one of the things I will hold against my father forever.

I have a couple of guns that will go to my grand daughter when she is old enough.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I to was promised my fathers old Remington 22 single shot that my mother bought him back in the 50's. Never got it. One of my other brothers got it and instead of offering it to me to buy he sold it to a stranger. Needless to say I have not spoken with this brother in almost 15 years and honestly don't even know if he is still alive. He knew I wanted that gun and sold it to spite me.

My family was never a big gun family, but I got a few that mean the world to me. I've got my maternal Grandfather's Remington .22 bolt action that I inherited as a kid, and I've got my paternal Grandfather's Winchester .22 bolt action. Both of those are from the 30's and have killed unknown thousands of squirrels, coons, possums and hogs. My most prized is the Winchester Model 12 12 gauge pump that was my paternal Grandfathers. It was bought new in the 1920's by him, stolen by his brother, he recovered it and pressed charges so the man spent a year in jail, then passed to my dad and finally to me. Heirloom guns will always be treasured by family.

Sent from behind the anvil