Best recommended tredmill for the money

TNWNGR

I'm currently shopping for a good tredmill machine and wanted to get some recommendations and feedback for the TGO clan members on the matter. I'm doing some high level fitness walking for cardio and weight loss outdoors but not currently running or jogging. I'll probably incoperate some light jogging into the mix a bit later on but no running.

With that out of the way the ground rules on the purchase are best bang for the buck with service life, ease of use and long term reliability. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I much prefer the elliptical type trainers over a treadmill.  We've got both an elliptical trainer and treadmill in our make-shift little gym at work, both Nordic brand, and they work fine.  The elliptical has had some issues with the sensor that tells it you're moving, but its been a simple fix. 

I recently purchased one.  I shopped for quite a while.

The better machines will have 18" or 20" wide belts.  They walk/jog length will also exceed 50".  Get at least 2HP or greater.  In addition, check the weight rating.  Make sure you buy at least 50 pounds over the weight rating if you plan to jog on it.

There are several brands that build good machines.  Pick one that has the features you want.  Nordic tends to be one of the more overpriced per feature set.

Got mine on sale at Academy.

Edited by KaNaPaPi
Wifey and I got a cheapie a couple years back and it's still runnin' strong. (haha! ... nevermind) It was on a stupid great sale at Academy. It's a Proform CST 505, and I'm pretty sure we paid $239.99 for it. Like I said, stupid cheap.

Anywho, she's a lightweight and I'm over 300lbs (slightly less over 300 than I was a year ago) and the machine doesn't struggle at all to get rolling under my fat behind. It's definitely not the most quiet machine, and it's narrower than the nicer ones but neither of us have fallen off the sucker. We have it in the den and the narrow width is a good thing for our smaller home. It folds up and out of the way a bit for when we have company, etc.

The best feature is the excellent and supportive arm bars... for hanging my pants and shirt when I come home every day. ;-)

We could have spent more, and maybe in 2-3 years we might. However if we were buying another one today, I'd make the same exact choice.

Hold off on purchasing anything now.  Start perusing local ads and Craigslist about the end of January into early spring.  By that time, there will be dozens for sale from those bought at Christmas, it normally takes a month or two for all the folks who bought one to realize that they really take up a lot of space when you convert them to a clothes rack.  Many will be quite happy to have you get the damn thing out of their way ...

• Like 1

Hold off on purchasing anything now.  Start perusing local ads and Craigslist about the end of January into early spring.  By that time, there will be dozens for sale from those bought at Christmas, it normally takes a month or two for all the folks who bought one to realize that they really take up a lot of space when you convert them to a clothes rack.  Many will be quite happy to have you get the damn thing out of their way ...

This is a good idea. Most people buy treadmills with good intentions and then realize that it's harder to have the discipline to exercise regularly indoors on a treadmill than it is to exercise outside. If you can't exercise daily outside, you're not a good candidate to use a treadmill. It's not impossible... but it's just really hard.

While you're waiting for January, get outside and run/walk/jog/hike. If you not an exerciser, any of these activities can get your heart rate up. I'd suggest that you get a decent pair of running shoes and alternate running and walking for 15 minutes away from the house. Then, turn around and get home as best you can. I'd suggest one minute running and one minute walking at first. 

You can then go one of two ways: Increase the time to 20 minutes out/back or increase the time running to 2 minutes running for one walking.

By the way, Vanderbilt Rec Center has a special $60 for 60 days membership from Dec 1 to Jan 31. They don't advertise it much, but it's a great way to use their multi-million dollar facility on the cheap. I ran on their indoor 300 meter track yesterday and will again on Wednesday. 

Bought my mom a nice precor about 12 years back, she walked miles on it every other evening until she passed away, now it's my wife's and though she only uses it in the winter when it's dark after work or on bad rainy days she still puts around a few hundred miles on it a year. Not that a cheap one won't work for walking/jogging but if you ever graduate to running at a decent pace the longer and better built footbed of a commercial treadmill will serve you much better if you're actually going to use it.

This is a good idea. Most people buy treadmills with good intentions and then realize that it's harder to have the discipline to exercise regularly indoors on a treadmill than it is to exercise outside. If you can't exercise daily outside, you're not a good candidate to use a treadmill. It's not impossible... but it's just really hard.

While you're waiting for January, get outside and run/walk/jog/hike. If you not an exerciser, any of these activities can get your heart rate up. I'd suggest that you get a decent pair of running shoes and alternate running and walking for 15 minutes away from the house. Then, turn around and get home as best you can. I'd suggest one minute running and one minute walking at first. 

You can then go one of two ways: Increase the time to 20 minutes out/back or increase the time running to 2 minutes running for one walking.

By the way, Vanderbilt Rec Center has a special $60 for 60 days membership from Dec 1 to Jan 31. They don't advertise it much, but it's a great way to use their multi-million dollar facility on the cheap. I ran on their indoor 300 meter track yesterday and will again on Wednesday. 

Yeah. I've already been doing the outdoor walking/hiking and light jogging. I bought a Fitbit Charge HR and its a real motivator. I've done several eight mile walks up and down hills. The downside though is when rain sets in for a few days as is been doing since Sunday. I much prefer walking outside and will continue to do so but need something for when I can't get outside. On the plus side I've already dropped close to fifteen pounds. Twenty more and I'll be pretty happy.