Adjusting rear sight on a Sig P226

Jenny1234

I just acquired a new SIG P226 and need to align the sights.  I am consistently grouping to the the left of target center and so need to move the rear sight to the right.  Sig sells a "sight adjustment tool" but it is very expensive.  I'm wondering if I can just put the slide in a vice and tap the sight with a brass punch.  My worry is that this may damage the Tritium tubes embedded in the sight.  I would appreciate any input that users of this forum would be willing to give me.  Thanks!

I would let a gunsmith do the actual work of adjusting your sights.  But I would try and have someone work with you on making sure you are not making the gun's Point of Impact (POI) shift.  The target above is very good at giving you indicators on what you need to work on, but a second set of eyes helps a lot too.

I would let a gunsmith do the actual work of adjusting your sights.  But I would try and have someone work with you on making sure you are not making the gun's Point of Impact (POI) shift.  The target above is very good at giving you indicators on what you need to work on, but a second set of eyes helps a lot too.

Thanks for the helpful advice.  I don't think it's me as I was able to hit center with both my 1911's and a revolver.   I just don't want to bust up the night sites trying to move the sight myself.  I will take it to a gunsmith.  

Thanks for the helpful advice.  I don't think it's me as I was able to hit center with both my 1911's and a revolver. 

And the examples you give are not the P226.  I can consistently hit dead center with 1911's and revolvers, Glock or any other polymer gun I'm gonna be off to the left a little.  Some handguns I'm a touch to the right with.  That is 100% me. 

Point is no two guns are alike and all shoot differently.

I would have someone else shoot the gun before you go messing with the sights because the problem in the vast majority of these situations is the user.  Adjusting the sights could very well just exacerbate the problem.

Well its a Sig so it should just go in the trash to begin with...

On a serious note a Gunsmith is your best bet, even with the tool ive seen people make a mess of it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

So, you don't like Sig Sauer pistols?  Any particular reason?  Just curious.  

So, you don't like Sig Sauer pistols? Any particular reason? Just curious.

Moreso ergos - that grip angle is flat enough to land a chinook on. And I really dont like hammer fired pistols.

Not a fan of their triggers, out the box they are marketed by folklore as one of the more accurate entry level factory pistols out there making them overpriced in my eyes.

Just my opinion. I have great disdain for a lot of manufacturers and calibers. Dont let it detract from your choice Im a bitter dude.

Moreso ergos - that grip angle is flat enough to land a chinook on. And I really dont like hammer fired pistols.

Not a fan of their triggers, out the box they are marketed by folklore as one of the more accurate entry level factory pistols out there making them overpriced in my eyes.

Just my opinion. I have great disdain for a lot of manufacturers and calibers. Dont let it detract from your choice Im a bitter dude.

Got it.  We all have our preferences.  This Sig has the short reset trigger and a threaded barrel, so it will host a suppressor.  That's the main reason I picked it up. Bought if from a private party - won't pay the price for a new one.  Anyway, thanks again for your 2 Cents.

• Like 1

And the examples you give are not the P226.  I can consistently hit dead center with 1911's and revolvers, Glock or any other polymer gun I'm gonna be off to the left a little.  Some handguns I'm a touch to the right with.  That is 100% me. 

Point is no two guns are alike and all shoot differently.

I would have someone else shoot the gun before you go messing with the sights because the problem in the vast majority of these situations is the user.  Adjusting the sights could very well just exacerbate the problem.

Please consider doing what Garufa has recommended here. I shoot to point of aim with a 1911, Browning High Power and any S&W, Colt or Ruger DA/SA or DAO revolver. I also do well with the DAO pistol's I've shot, but with a DA/SA pistol or a Glock unless I really focus on my trigger I shoot left.

By all means have another shooter try your pistol but also try shooting it with more of the trigger finger pad across the trigger face.

Please consider doing what Garufa has recommended here. I shoot to point of aim with a 1911, Browning High Power and any S&W, Colt or Ruger DA/SA or DAO revolver. I also do well with the DAO pistol's I've shot, but with a DA/SA pistol or a Glock unless I really focus on my trigger I shoot left.

By all means have another shooter try your pistol but also try shooting it with more of the trigger finger pad across the trigger face.

Well, that point of view is all well and good in theory, but if you have a gun that you consistently shoot the same way and it's consistently off the mark in the same way, what's wrong with tweaking the sights to the way you shoot it?  I mean, it is your heater after all, and as long as it hits to point of aim when you shoot it, that's the idea isn't it?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Well this might make you feel a little better, I don't think it is you. I bought a new P226 extreme model, and it too shoots to the left. Had a buddy shoot it does the same with him. Actually have had a couple of different people try it and it does the same.

My sites need to be drifted over without a doubt. I thought about doing it myself, but I paid a pretty good chunk for this one new and don't want to screw it up. I have also had a MK25 and shot them back to back, the MK would hit where I was pointing it.

I love Sigs, have more than one or two or three.  However, if one can afford to have a $800+ pistol, I don't think I would sweat a sight pusher price tag.  Sig is not the only one who makes a sight pusher anyway.  Between ebay, Brownells, and Midway, there are plenty quality sight pushers.  Gun shops are okay, but for me I tweak my sights from time to time, no time to go to the other guy, or allow them to nickel and dime you.  I think I caught deal on my sight pusher, maybe less than $50 on ebay.   Just make sure its the sight, and not you. 

Edited by runco

Well its a Sig so it should just go in the trash to begin with...

On a serious note a Gunsmith is your best bet, even with the tool ive seen people make a mess of it

So, you don't like Sig Sauer pistols?  Any particular reason?  Just curious.  

Oh, oh, oh,  tell him you're shooting .40 out of it!   :rock:

658e40b32264af34e3b37d18156aa0be.jpg

Edited by Omega
  • Like 2

I have all the professional sight tools and will gladly adjust it for you for free if you meet me in the Lebanon area.

Wow, this is so very nice of you!  After reading the comments to my post I took it back out to the range and concentrated on my technique.  I was able to move the grouping significantly in the right direction, so I have decided to leave things alone for now.  A very merry Christmas to you and yours! 

• Like 4

Wow, this is so very nice of you!  After reading the comments to my post I took it back out to the range and concentrated on my technique.  I was able to move the grouping significantly in the right direction, so I have decided to leave things alone for now.  A very merry Christmas to you and yours! 

I'm really glad this worked out for you because it's something that I constantly have to think about whenver I switch from a SA pistol to a DA/SA one or a striker fired pistol. There's a lot of truth to the folksism of "Beware the man who only has one gun".

May I ask you another question?  I would like to carry the p226 concealed while hiking in the mountains.  It is always cold where I go so I would prefer to carry it under my coat.  Do you have recommendations as to a shoulder holster?  Or perhaps something else? Thanks!!!!!

May I ask you another question? I would like to carry the p226 concealed while hiking in the mountains. It is always cold where I go so I would prefer to carry it under my coat. Do you have recommendations as to a shoulder holster? Or perhaps something else? Thanks!!!!!

Is there a specific reason you are wanting a shoulder holster?

The reason I ask is, you mentioned cold weather and a coat. If the coat is zipped you are going to have a tough time getting to the gun quickly.

You may be better served to go with a OWB type so you can just lift up the side of the coat to gain access to the gun.

Is there a specific reason you are wanting a shoulder holster?

The reason I ask is, you mentioned cold weather and a coat. If the coat is zipped you are going to have a tough time getting to the gun quickly.

You may be better served to go with a OWB type so you can just lift up the side of the coat to gain access to the gun.

Yes, that makes sense.  Do you have a favorite brand and/or model for an OWB type holster?  I'd like to get a shoulder holster as well for other occasions, perhaps for walks in warmer weather.  The SIG is pretty heavy to carry on a belt (at least it would seem so to me).  Thanks!

Edited by Jenny1234

Since you said you were new to the gun, I would have someone else shoot the gun to see if they get the same results before getting a gunsmith involved.

Assuming you are right handed, this chart will help diagnois potential causes.

1fdba7c2bbad9c548b1e7d1ec8ce9219.jpg

This is the one I use   :D

[url=http://postimage.org/]target.jpg[/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/app.php]take a screenshot[/url]

Yes, that makes sense.  Do you have a favorite brand and/or model for an OWB type holster?  I'd like to get a shoulder holster as well for other occasions, perhaps for walks in warmer weather.  The SIG is pretty heavy to carry on a belt (at least it would seem so to me).  Thanks!

Do you prefer leather, kydex, or a hybrid (leather & kydex)?    There are a plethora of good holster makers in each category.    What's your budget?  

Do you need a holster that you can attach/detach without taking off your belt?   If so, you'll want a paddle holster.   It is more convenient but not as secure as a pancake holster. 

Do you already have a proper gun belt?   With the proper belt you can carry even the heaviest of guns without a problem.