TV Cops and Feds and Carry Condition 3.

wjh2657

I have noticed that pretty much all of the detectives and Fed agents on TV carry C3. I say this because they are always racking their slide after drawing their weapon. Is this normal procedure for plain clothes police? I know they have technical advisors so I would guess they are taught the agency procedures.

Uniform LEOs are normally shown drawing with "one in the tube".

Also, FBI Agent Reed on "Criminal Minds" was shown cocking his revolver before sweeping an apartment for possible perps.I was always taught DAO on revolver anytime you were dealing with possible encounter and any time you were going to be moving the gun around (painting).

I'd like to hear from real Detectives and Agents if possible. Uniforms if they actually know the department procedures for "plain clothes".

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Every department has different procedures, but I've never heard of any requiring C3 carry.

What you're seeing on TV is just that... TV. It adds more dramatic effect if your favorite TV star drops the slide, or cocks back that hammer, before busting in a door or clearing a dark apartment.

Guest Todd@CIS

wjh...I know of no civilian agency that requires Condition 3 carry.

In fact, at my Dept, if an officer did that he/she would be violating policy.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Every department has different procedures, but I've never heard of any requiring C3 carry.

What you're seeing on TV is just that... TV. It adds more dramatic effect if your favorite TV star drops the slide, or cocks back that hammer, before busting in a door or clearing a dark apartment.

+1

They also can also be seen racking the slide,firring,then handing the gun to their partner who just ran out of bullets(rendering his gun useless) and having him rack the slide again.

You can also hear Glocks cocking/decocking.

But the thing that really tickles me is how on Chuck,you have two very skilled agents with equipment that is so advanced,it doesn't even exist yet,but they still use the old S&W 4006's that are no longer made.I guess thats how they afford all that technology ;)

Oh,and lets not forget how during a gun battle you will always have one say to the other"I'm out,how many do you have?" to which they will pop the mag out and say "two". Every single flipping time the answer is always two,and they never count the one in the pipe.....but I guess thats because when they stick the counted clip back into the gun,the slide must be racked,rendering thus said piped round useless :lol:

Guest VolGrad

I am convinced that movie firearms technical advisers are all bogus. They can't have any creds as many gun mistakes and I, a novice, catch on a regular basis. I am shocked considering how much money the studios spend on a movie or television show that they can't get minor details right. Although, I am guessing a good bit of it happens in the editing room too ... as an afterthought. That last "cock" of a Glock being drawn. The sound guy sees gun being drawn and naturally thinks he needs to add that sound.

They also can also be seen racking the slide,firring,then handing the gun to their partner who just ran out of bullets(rendering his gun useless) and having him rack the slide again.

You can also hear Glocks cocking/decocking.

But the thing that really tickles me is how on Chuck,you have two very skilled agents with equipment that is so advanced,it doesn't even exist yet,but they still use the old S&W 4006's that are no longer made.I guess thats how they afford all that technology ;)

Oh,and lets not forget how during a gun battle you will always have one say to the other"I'm out,how many do you have?" to which they will pop the mag out and say "two". Every single flipping time the answer is always two,and they never count the one in the pipe.....but I guess thats because when they stick the counted clip back into the gun,the slide must be racked,rendering thus said piped round useless :lol:

Hey, don't talk about one of the best TV shows on TV! Chuck is great. Good amount of comedy, some serious stuff, fights, gun fights, chick fights, crap blowing up...did I mention chick fights!:P:D

Not sure why they use such old weaponry.

Oh, and Jack Casey Chucks handler, was Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket

animalmother.jpg

Edited by db99wj

somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I have been told that in Israel civilians & even military are required to carry with an empty chamber.

I was also told that some of your Israeli police train to "rack the slide" on the draw. and that they are just as fast as some of our cops when draw with "one in the pipe".

I think that (like said above) its TV, and therefore dramatic effect is the rule of the land, & secondly, it doest matter if you carry "c3" or "one in the pipe" as long as you can hit your target before your target hits you.

and so endeth the tanget...

somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I have been told that in Israel civilians & even military are required to carry with an empty chamber.

I was also told that some of your Israeli police train to "rack the slide" on the draw. and that they are just as fast as some of our cops when draw with "one in the pipe".

I think that (like said above) its TV, and therefore dramatic effect is the rule of the land, & secondly, it doest matter if you carry "c3" or "one in the pipe" as long as you can hit your target before your target hits you.

and so endeth the tanget...

Hence the term "Israeli draw." They can do it quick, I can say this from shooting side-by-side with an Israeli commando... not fast enough on a quick draw contest.

Fact is, you guys are letting Hollywood influence you. Even Judges, Juries and Attorneys are influenced in what happens in a scripted gunfight.;)

The main reason Hollywood gunslingers draw their firearm and rack it, generally near their face, is so the camera gets a shot of the "hero" and the firearm at the same time.:P

As you have noticed, Hollywood firearms advisors are not what you would call Operators. Most of them would not last long in real world training. :lol:

Please do NOT use anything you see on the Silver Screen.;)

Guest DJBiker

Personally, I am very happy with all the improper techniques that Hollywood includes in the movies. The BG's are always trying to imitate the Hollywood style and this makes them much less dangerous. How many BG's have you seen that hold the pistols sideways, aka Gangsta Style? Love this, they can't hit a thing.

Now Hollywood tells the BG's that with some practice, they can curve bullets, LOL!!

The more rotten techniques they see, the more they emulate them. If they rack the slide after each pause, they will have less ammo to send downrange.

Have you seen someone threatened with a 1911 and then the threat gets even more serious when they pull the hammer back! LOL! If the hammer is down on that 1911, they are no threat at all unless they intend on hitting you with it.

Some idiot jailer with Hamilton county sheriff dept shot himself in the foot a few years ago while attempting to do his yearly qualification. A friend in the dept tole me he is still there. WOW! i know that's not someone trying to copy "wanted" but close enough.

All the cops/departments around here go carry condition 1 and most have a level 3 holster.

if those of us with permits can go carry 1 why would the cops have to go 3? it dose not make any scene at all.

Carry 3 is retarded for cops (except for jailer mentioned above). oh wait bad guy hold on while I rack the slide and take the gun off safety!

Israels cops are a whole different ball game. From what I have heard and read (also mentioned above in earlier post) they can draw and rack the slide faster than almost anyone else can draw and fire.