Making a non-slip holster. Ideas needed.

I've been thinking of buying a Remora holster that would "stick" in place for appendix or 5 o'clock IWB carry. I couldn't find the exact model for my handgun and the price (about $30 including shipping) turned me off.  That got me to thinking...

I have several Uncle Mike and similar holsters that are like Remora holsters except they don't stick in place.  Why not just coat them with a non slip fabric spray or a non slip fabric like that kitchen shelf liner stuff?

So far, I've found....

1. An abrasive spray paint with little plastic pellets in it for floor applications. I don't think I'd like that.
  2. A product called Sock Stop that paints a non slip liquid on the bottom of socks to make them into slippers.
  3. Liquid rubber
  4. Non stick shelf liner

Has anyone done this? What did you use?

I've tried undercarriage coating, it's like rhino lining type stuff. I used it on my alien gear iwb. It worked well but it never seemed to cure completely and since it was black, it would rub off on my shirt.

I've heard about liquid latex used in the cosmetic field, I just haven't bothered pursuing that route.

I've tried undercarriage coating, it's like rhino lining type stuff. I used it on my alien gear iwb. It worked well but it never seemed to cure completely and since it was black, it would rub off on my shirt.

I've heard about liquid latex used in the cosmetic field, I just haven't bothered pursuing that route.

It did cure that is what it is supposed to do I've tried it on a few different projects at work with the same results if you could get your hands on the stuff that hoge grips are made of would be perfect for this

Here's what I've tried so far. The holsters are old Blackhawk and Uncle Mike made of some sort of textured vinyl... you know what I mean. They're sold everywhere.

1. Liquid electrical tape. Noticeable improvement over the stock holster. Still not as sticky as I would like. Looks pretty awful.

2. Tacky ace wrap that sticks to itself. Marginal improvement. Looks awful.

3. Non slip shelf and drawer liner. Works very good. I just held it in place temporarily with paper clips. It did make the holster thicker. Looks awful.

4. Rubber bands. Works best of any options so far. I just took a dozen or so 1/8 wide rubber bands and wrapped them around the pocket holster. It's not perfect because the holster moves around a bit. Not good enough yet for EDC, but good enough for the desired purpose... a grab and go gun when going out to check mail or other use around the farm. Looks like rubber bands wrapped around a holster... i.e., awful.

Neoprene  works well. Same material in a diving suit. I own a couple of Sticky Holsters and the work extremely well. I've even done PT with one and it stays in place. Mine will fit several of my guns.

http://stickyholsters.com/

Didn't this company have a booth at the NRA Expo in Nashville back in March?  I tried it and liked it, but never made it back to the booth. Maybe I should order one.

Edited by jgradyc

I typically use suede on the holsters I make, but I have considered looking for some sort of sheet rubber, like gum rubber.

Thank you! You gave me the idea of roughing up the exterior where I had the undercoating. It seems to help a lot so far.

2aiogsg.jpg
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had this Mika holster and used it for my J Frame 640 for years. It initially has a rubberized rough out wrapping that had worn smooth. I wrapped it in the rubbery shelf liner and applied Tactical (black) duct tape. :ugh:

Works like a charm!

The 9mm Shield fits nicely into my off hand pocket in my Carhartt carpenter jeans...my daily wear.

Just an option to consider. :pleased:

Shield%20Mika%202_zpsntigruk2.jpg

Shield%20Mika%201_zpskncnvbr6.jpg

I've been thinking of buying a Remora holster that would "stick" in place for appendix or 5 o'clock IWB carry.

I've been having a heck of a time finding an IWB holster for anything on my backside....

I acquired an OWB holster from one of the guys here (wasn't using it, gave me a steal of a deal), and have found it works well for me at 5 O'clock, but the seasonal wardrobe is the only reason it's 'concealed'. I still need something appropriate for summer-clothes (guess it's time to go shopping for pocket pistols! :D )

- K

Didn't this company have a booth at the NRA Expo in Nashville back in March? I tried it and liked it, but never made it back to the booth. Maybe I should order one.

I bought one of their pocket holsters for my J Frame at the show because the material was really sticky. I compared it in side by side practice draws to my Uncle Mikes. Ended up staying with my Uncle Mikes since I could get cleaner draws. Not saying the Sticky Holster was bad, just decided to stay with what I had. I'll probably go to the Sticky when my current holster wears out.