TN Knife Laws?

Guest Topgun121

Guest Topgun121

Is carrying a push dagger less than 4" legal in TN? What about a Karambit? I tried to read the TN law, but the part that was talking about hawkbillls and daggers came in the section of "school grounds". Does anyone here know the exact law on daggers and Karambits if they are less than 4"? thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If not on school property, apparently you can have ANY kind of knife except for a switchblade, as long as the blade is 4" or less.

switchblade no no: 39-17-1302.

concealed weapons no nos: 39-17-1307

- Oh "not a lawyer, opinion is worth what you paid for it" Shoot

I think OS is right, as long as the blade is under 4" and it would not be considered a switchblade, it is legal to carry it.

From 39-17-1301(14)

Switchblade knife means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by:

(A)
Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or

(
:)
Operation of gravity or inertia

Seems like I remember something about Hawkbills too.

A Balisong is also not considered a switchblade.

I believe a Balisong or "butterfly" knife would fall under 39-17-1301(14)(B) or at least could if the officer chose to.

As far as schools

39-17-1309(B)(1)

It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

Edited by Fallguy

I remember reading something that a knife collector would be exempt from alot of those provisions. This same subject came up at a discussion a while back and this was pointed out to me, so from that point on I am now a collector of knives. I will look and see if I can find the language again.

I was not previously aware of this limitation. I tend to carry a knife with me at all times and sometimes this does go over 4 inches. Can anyone give some specific history or reasoning behind the law? Does it apply equally to folders as well as fixed blade knives? Are there separate rules for knife size in regards to hunting? Is that 4 inches for both concealed and not? This is a bit sad, half of my knives can't be carried legally :-(

You all are correct. As long as it is not over 4 inches and does not automatically open all the way then it isn't illegal. It can have a spring assist but can not open fully. Allot of the knives on the market are for police and fire only. And allot of things aren't legal but you can buy them. Ignorance of the law is no excuse in the eyes of a judge.

Last time I had the law pulled up there was a statement at the bottom that said a Butterfly knife shall not be considered a switchblade.

Must have been a court case or something that caused them to add that.

As far as the school,with the intent to go armed.I was not carrying them as weapons.I never carry a knife thinking of it as a weapon.

I remember reading something that a knife collector would be exempt from alot of those provisions. This same subject came up at a discussion a while back and this was pointed out to me, so from that point on I am now a collector of knives. I will look and see if I can find the language again.

As a "collector" you can legally own a switchblade, but you can't carry it.

One odd thing is that I don't recall seeing anything regarding knives over 4" when doing outdoor activities. Maybe it's technically illegal to have a 7" buck on your belt even when hiking/camping/hunting/fishing. Dunno.

But Pirate, if a LEO wants to make your day miserable for carrying that 6 incher, whether straight blade or folder, carried openly or concealed, carried in the normal course of your day, he certainly CAN.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Provence
Why do they sell switch blades and stilettos at gun shows here if they are illegal.?

I notice they are the same vendors who sell brass knuckles labeled as paperweights.

Why is a switchblade any more dangerous than any other knife? With spring assist, the easy opening blades are almost as quick as a switchblade. When was this law passed and why?

Last time I had the law pulled up there was a statement at the bottom that said a Butterfly knife shall not be considered a switchblade.

Must have been a court case or something that caused them to add that.

If you could post the source of that, I would like to see it.

I can't find anything in theT.C.A. at Michie's Legal Resource that exempts a butterfly knife.

You can see 39-17-1307 which makes it illegal to carry firearms, knives and other weapons.

Then in 39-17-1308 there is a lift of defenses to the above law. Nothing about a butterfly knife is mentioned in there.

If you came upon a LEO that wasn't familiar with that type of knife, it may all depend on how you opened it. If you slowly opened it with two hands, he may not worry about it. If you opened it "Bruce Lee" style, then it may not go as well.

One odd thing is that I don't recall seeing anything regarding knives over 4" when doing outdoor activities. Maybe it's technically illegal to have a 7" buck on your belt even when hiking/camping/hunting/fishing. Dunno.

I don't think it would be illegal if you needed it for a lawful activity

39-17-1308(a)(4) is a defense that says if the possession is "Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity" it is legal.

Why is a switchblade any more dangerous than any other knife? With spring assist, the easy opening blades are almost as quick as a switchblade. When was this law passed and why?

Who knows. Way back when, I'd say.

It's pretty much a "national law"; has more to do with perceived public perceptions than reality. Lawmakers appearing to do something to make public feel more secure, like most all weapons laws.

Now that the subject has arisen here, though, I'm very curious just what allows me to carry a 12" bowie knife camping, but not on the street. Or for that matter, a 9" fillet knife fishing.

Maybe there isn't a statue for this?

- OS