10mm Glock

gomer pyle

For some reason, I can't get a 10mm off my mind. I'm looking at either a 20 or 40. This will be a night stand/woods gun (probably not a lot in the woods). I'm set on a glock, so I'm not really interested in looking at other brands. How hard is it to handle(i.e. The finger groves on gen3 23 don't fit my big hands)? Should I consider a SF?
If at all possible Id say go for the 20 Gen 4, I got pretty small hands for a dude and it fits me just fine with no back straps.

The 40 is really nice, has a bit more of an advantage with the long barrel, especially if youd want to hunt.

The 20 will do fine. The recoil is not at all bad - I load mine extremely hot but it isnt anymore stiff than say a +P 45, or maybe a 357Mag.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

When the 10mm bug bit me a few years ago, I went with the 20 in Gen2.  The day I went to the range to shoot it for the 1st time, I brought along the 17, 21, 23, and then 31 to see the recoil differences before the 20, and then I shot the 20.  I found the 23, 31 and 20 to be similar, with the 20 being the strongest, but not as I imagined.  Very reasonable.  I only waited 1 hour before going to the ER with a broke wrist! ;)

I actually found a gen2 20 after I made the original post. I'm going to try to go look at it while I'm off this weekend. I kinda thought I would like a 40 better but I'm back and forth

While Gen 2's are the epitome of Glock Perfection, the 20/21's are huge.  They fill up the hand much more than a Gen 3 SF or Gen 4.

I have a Gen 4 20 and 40.  I would not go with the 40 unless you are going to hunt a lot.  If you are not going to hunt with it, then stick with the 20.  I do not have big hands and the Gen 4 20 feels good in my hand and is easy to control.

I don't have 3xl's but they are fairly big. Im concerned it will be uncomfortable. With the kick of 10mm, I'm concerned if I will be accurate

I shot the 29 with an extension on it and I handled it OK.

For my hands the peaks on the 20 were going into my bottom two fingers making it more weird feeling than anything else. That actually decreases contact area. Don't get me wrong, I might get a 20 in the future when I have the extra money to spend because the recoil isn't bad on the 29.

I have the 10mm bug as well. As soon as I saw the G40 from the shot show I knew I wanted one. Mine is currently in layaway jail. But, I sure an looking forward to getting it out soon. I have always wanted to hunt with a pistol, and this is what I intend to use this for mainly. I am also curious about reloading and getting set up for that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Here is some food for thought, comparing same brand name of ammo 10mm vs. 9mm, then for fun 223:

http://www.ballistics101.com/10mm.php

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/10mm%20ballistics_zpsjvper11g.jpg.html]10mm%20ballistics_zpsjvper11g.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/9mm%20ballistics_zpskrpteevs.jpg.html]9mm%20ballistics_zpskrpteevs.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/223%20ballistics_zpsvhulelp9.jpg.html]223%20ballistics_zpsvhulelp9.jpg[/URL]

Yes, the 40 and 20 share the same lower. My wife bought a Glock 20 sf and we sold it to a close friend with the intention of replacing it with a gen 4 20. You really need to check the case support offered by a gen 2 barrel before pushing the rounds too hard.

The 10mm is an awesome round. The 20 at least is a very smooth shooting firearm that surpasses the hottest .357 mag loads, but so much easier to control.
Because you mention little woods use and nightstand I would think about the glock 21. From 45 acp to 45 super to 460 Rowland. The only thing the 20 offers to make me consider keeping it is a 9x25 Dillon barrel option. If you want a 10mm you have ammunition money or will reload so both options are equal in ammunition respects. The 10mm production ammo is weak and expensive. Edited by ohell

I was debating G20 vs. G40 a few weeks ago as well.  I've decided on the 20 for multiple reasons, some of which may not apply to you, including suppressor use.  Add a suppressor onto a 6" barrel and you have quite a long setup.  The 20 is lighter and shorter, thus more appropriate for suppressor use.  You also do not give up much in the way of speed with a 4.6" vs 6" barrel.  According to ballistics by the inch, using a Hornady 200xtp, you only lose approximately 69 fps.  This number hardly makes it worth the added length/weight to me.  Plus, I can gain most of it back by tweaking handloads :rock:

Once again, your intended use is a little different and you may really feel the need to get that extra 69 fps. 

Edited by samson7x
  • Like 1

I was debating G20 vs. G40 a few weeks ago as well. I've decided on the 20 for multiple reasons, some of which may not apply to you, including suppressor use. Add a suppressor onto a 6" barrel and you have quite a long setup. The 20 is lighter and shorter, thus more appropriate for suppressor use. You also do not give up much in the way of speed with a 4.6" vs 6" barrel. According to ballistics by the inch, using a Hornady 200xtp, you only lose approximately 69 fps. This number hardly makes it worth the added length/weight to me. Plus, I can gain most of it back by tweaking handloads :rock:

Once again, your intended use is a little different and you may really feel the need to get that extra 69 fps.

Suppressing a supersonic pistol cartridge doesn't seem to make much sense. If you're going to suppress a pistol .45 would seem like the obvious choice. Not practical to carry a pistol with a suppressor attached anyway, though target practice and plain old fun are good enough reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk