A windy Watauga day

Great times!

I always wanted to fish Watauga Lake.  Was first introduced to the lake back in the mid 80s while attending ETSU.  If I remember correctly, you basically at the dam in the 2nd picture.  I believe Watauga Dam is the only earthen dam managed by TVA.

Great times!

I always wanted to fish Watauga Lake. Was first introduced to the lake back in the mid 80s while attending ETSU. If I remember correctly, you basically at the dam in the 2nd picture. I believe Watauga Dam is the only earthen dam managed by TVA.

Good eye! All but one of those fish were caught at the dam and it was within sight of the dam. We launched from rat branch.

Looks like y'all had some fun!  I saw a eagle last time i was up there.  South Holston is an earth and rock dam too...I met a diver there once.  He said they built them out of earth and rock to make the dam more resistant to bombings. Tight lines!!

Those were sure some chunks. Fat Spots for sure and old bucket mouth was nice also but that Bronzeback was my favorite. I would rather catch those than any of the bass family. They are challenge to get in the boat from the second you set the hook in one till they are in the net. My favorite lake to fish for Bronzebacks  Smallies is Tims Ford........................ :up: :up:

I think I am going back to Tim's on Sunday. I am stuck in Illinois all week. I am hoping the water has cleared up by then. How did you guys catch them? I would think with all the warm weather the fish still have to be stuck in a late fall pattern.

We caught them on trout minnows. With the wind we used a small split shot. With Watauga being a colder lake, the winter pattern is going pretty good. We also threw some plugs, but mostly stayed around the dam with the minnows.

Those were sure some chunks. Fat Spots for sure and old bucket mouth was nice also but that Bronzeback was my favorite. I would rather catch those than any of the bass family. They are challenge to get in the boat from the second you set the hook in one till they are in the net. My favorite lake to fish for Bronzebacks Smallies is Tims Ford........................ :up: :up:

I agree! I fought that smallie for a good 5-10 minutes. We were using light line, I had 8lb test on.

We caught them on trout minnows. With the wind we used a small split shot. With Watauga being a colder lake, the winter pattern is going pretty good. We also threw some plugs, but mostly stayed around the dam with the minnows.

That's how we usually fish Dale Hollow in the winter. I usually throw 4Lb fluorocarbon line. 

• Like 1

I have yet to fish Dale Hollow. My dad has. He seems to like it pretty good. Sounds like a road trip is in order.

Dale hollow is amazing. I have fished it like 4 times. The first time I went I took rods with 8 pound because I did not trust anything lighter than that. I fished all day and caught like 2 fish. Pulled up to my friends expecting the same and I found out they killed it, something like 22 that day. After talking with them I found out they were fishing with 4lb line. I picked up a spare rod they had and I am not joking the next section of bank I fished I caught 3 fish. I now fish with both  2lb and 4lb and have even surprised my self with some of the fish I have caught on such light line. 

Dale hollow is amazing. I have fished it like 4 times. The first time I went I took rods with 8 pound because I did not trust anything lighter than that. I fished all day and caught like 2 fish. Pulled up to my friends expecting the same and I found out they killed it, something like 22 that day. After talking with them I found out they were fishing with 4lb line. I picked up a spare rod they had and I am not joking the next section of bank I fished I caught 3 fish. I now fish with both 2lb and 4lb and have even surprised my self with some of the fish I have caught on such light line.

It is amazing how the line technology has advanced in the past few years. Combine that and the new sonar (which are way over priced) and you could have a pretty good day fishing. That is providing the fish get the memo. We've been using light line and Daminki plastics. That's fun too, especially when you can see the both your line and fish move on the sonar... crazy technology.
Oh yeah, sonar had come a long way. I've fished with the lowrance elite 7 and 5 for the last few years and this year jumped into the humminbird helix 7 SI model when tackle warehouse had them for 550.00 for Black Friday. I prefer lowrance but for the price it was hard to beat. I love verticals jigging and watching the fish Come hit the lure. If you do anything like that I recommend the rapala jigging raps, fantastic! I will be on Tims ford Sunday looking for small mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Admin Team

Dale hollow is amazing. I have fished it like 4 times. The first time I went I took rods with 8 pound because I did not trust anything lighter than that. I fished all day and caught like 2 fish. Pulled up to my friends expecting the same and I found out they killed it, something like 22 that day. After talking with them I found out they were fishing with 4lb line. I picked up a spare rod they had and I am not joking the next section of bank I fished I caught 3 fish. I now fish with both  2lb and 4lb and have even surprised my self with some of the fish I have caught on such light line. 

Tell me the thought process behind this?  I'm interested.

I've always gone with heavier than I've thought I would have needed.  Does lighter line allow for better presentation?

Well when fishing with live minnows on DH not only does the light line and small hooks and sinkers allow for a more natural presentation and slower drop I think the fish can almost sense the larger line. Even when fishing fluorocarbon which is nearly invisible. If I would not have seen it work first hand I would not believe it. I even fish Tims ford with 4, 6 and 8 pound. I might jump up to 10 if fishing a deep football jig.

• Like 1

Tell me the thought process behind this? I'm interested.

I've always gone with heavier than I've thought I would have needed. Does lighter line allow for better presentation?

It depends on the type of fishing as well. Like for instance, I'll use a heavier line for jig fishing. For one, I throw it in some thicker stuff so I'll need the durability. Two, heavy line sinks slower, which is what I want for jigs. That is just a personal thing for me.

On average, I'll use an 8-10lb line. I throw a lot of crank baits into some nasty stuff. Like I mentioned, it mostly depends on how I fish.

Like say a Carolina rig, I'll use 10-15 lb test with a lighter leader.

Then, there are rods and reels, which open a whole new can of worms... (pun intended )

Tell me the thought process behind this? I'm interested.

I've always gone with heavier than I've thought I would have needed. Does lighter line allow for better presentation?

Just like was posted I don't only use light line, just when fishing clear lakes. Spinning rods are usually 10-12lb with bait casters it's usually braid and then if needed a fluorocarbon leader.

I thought since we are showing off some big smallies I would add some a friend of mine catches on Dale Hollow using my Floating Flies we make in winter time. He uses 8 lb Braid with a 4 lb fluorocarbon 8 foot leader on FNF rods.

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/B%20T%20Fish/004.jpg.html]004.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/B%20T%20Fish/003-1.jpg.html]003-1.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/B%20T%20Fish/100_2111.jpg.html]100_2111.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/B%20T%20Fish/100_0014.jpg.html]100_0014.jpg[/URL]

He is waiting and hoping that the cold weather will drop the lake temps as he is ready to go again this winter.

• Like 2