45-70

Justin_E

First above all others would be a 1970's production run of the Marlin 1895 45/70, second would be a Ruger #1 45/70 from the same time period that was proven to not have a wandering zero. Last, but not least as I plan on getting one myself later would be the Henry 45/70.

Don't rule out the new Marlins or (remlins) if you will. I collect Marlin leverguns, & always look for the presafety guns.

With that being said I do own a (remlin) 1895 GBL guide gun in 45-70. The fit & finish is great even though I'm not a fan of checkering. The sights are spot on straight out of the box. & is actually my favorite Marlin to shoot besides my 1894 in 357 mag.

Just don't rule something out without checking it out yourself if you have a chance.
  • Like 1

I saw both and got the Marlin.  The stock was a tad long for the 200 yard buffalo shoots and for deer hunting all heavy clothed up so I cut it off a little.  It fits much better now.  Very smooth action and it feeds my reloads easily.  You won't go wrong with either one.  I think The Marlin costs less but I may be wrong on that.

Cherokee Slim

• Moderators

First above all others would be a 1970's production run of the Marlin 1895 45/70, second would be a Ruger #1 45/70 from the same time period that was proven to not have a wandering zero. Last, but not least as I plan on getting one myself later would be the Henry 45/70.

My 1970's Marlin is the best I have shot. IMHO. However I have not shot the new Remlins. I always tell people to shoot different guns and go with what feels and shoots best for you.

I prefer the Marlins.  I have a couple of 1895's in 45-70.  They are both great looking and shooting guns.  My other 45-70 is a Ruger No. 1.  That would be my second choice.

[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/DSCF0042.jpg.html]DSCF0042.jpg[/URL]

• Like 4
Wow..

LOOKS GREAT.

I have the Henry 45-70 steel I just purchased a few months ago.

I have not got to shoot is yet, but I hope to soon.

The Henry's may not be the same quality as your Marlins or mine, but I do like them.

I have an early Marlin 336RC in 35 rem and 30-30 that were my grandfathers and fathers. They are my favorites.
  • Like 1

Anybody remember the Ruger #3s in 45/70? They always quit making the cool stuff. :shrug:

I have always wanted one. I have never seen one in person, only online. They are less expensive than the no1, but I bet you will be feeling the recoil for a while. Edited by Odessa7979

They WERE less expensive then the No. 1, but now that they've become quite uncommon, they are bringing quite a bit more if in pristine condition.

I had one in my hands at a gun show several years back in .22 Hornet, but you know how it is ... you can't buy them all.  :cry:

Thanks. The barrel has been cut down to 16 1/8", recrowned and had the action slicked up. It is a sweet carrying little woods gun.

I thought that barrel looked short. That's sweet. Did you have someone local cut the barrel down?

One (of many) guns of regret I sold was an early JM guide gun in 45/70. My one buddy at deer camp kept his and to this day, hammers 'em down. He doesn't need to track them!

I bought it like that.  An older gentleman bought two 1895's.  One in 45-70 and one in 444.  He had the custom work done to both and then took them on one hunting trip to Alaska.  Sold them both when he got back.  I really wish I could have bought them both but only had the cash for one at that time.

• Like 1