1st TN (Knoxville city) speeding ticket...any advice/tips

Doesn’t the traffic DA have to subpoena an Officer to appear in court here? Wouldn’t a 35/30 get his attention?

Not that I know of, I have 1 ticket in Knoxville it was 40 in a 30 (actual) and they made me go to court.  100% clean record other than that

There was a big news story out of Texas that brought this issue into the light a few years ago.  Ended up 4 cops involved, making tons of overtime, I think one committed suicide and the others were fired or something can't remember specifics except the one that offed himself.

They were busted by an honest out of town off-duty cop that was written a ticket.

Edited by Sam1
There will not be a DA present for city court. They can proceed without the officer unless his synopsis raises questions or you have questions for the officer. Most of the time the officer will be there because he or she will have an entire docket one day once every other month.
  • Like 1

"I will say this: If the officer saw your radar detector it is probably the deciding factor for you getting a ticket over a warning"

I agree on that one

it's going to be in city court

it was not in a school zone

thanks for all of the insight...after "reporting" to my mandatory court appearance, I'll let everyone know the outcome

thanks for all of the insight...after "reporting" to my mandatory court appearance, I'll let everyone know the outcome

It will be, you pay the fine, driving probation (so you don't get points) or whatever they call it and walk out.  

Sounds like a sheriff that doesn't care about getting a second term.

As long as he only writes passers by and not the voting group, he'll probably stay in office for 40 years.  Don't some states limit how much revenue police departments can bring in from tickets?

• Like 1

Old fart here.....( 80 ) I've never had a speeding ticket in my life!  Reason simple...I don't speed.I never had a DUI and I never will...reason I don't drink and never will.  And guess what I've got to every place in the world I wanted to with NO accidents.  Am a I bragging hell yes!  Moral of the story is if ya don't wanna get hit by a train stay off the tracks.  How do ya think I got to be 80.  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

update for anyone who may be a future violator in Knoxville

I went to city/municipal court for a mandatory 9:00 appearance for 35/30 speeding this morning

...about 9:10 the bailiff explains difference between guilty/not guilty/no contest pleas and when  your name is called to say which one...he calls through a couple hundred names where many were not there due to postponement, taking care of earlier, etc...I called out no contest

...about 9:30 a lady comes out and has the 7 lawyers there representing people sign some form 

...nothing else until 10:10 when the judge decides to make a special guest appearance...maybe he was in chambers eating a T-bone and eggs...who knows

...then they finally get the ball rolling...he takes the lawyers cases first so they can get back to their offices to fleece some more citizens...he knocks them out pretty quickly

...by 10:35 he's ready to start calling us regular people up to face him by alphabetical order, of course...with my last name starting with a "S", of course

...he takes a few "C"s then jumps to the "M"s for some reason...then it looked like he was knocking out the speeders first as I was next to a man with a tag issue with last name "C" and he had not called him when I left

...then by 10:55 it's my turn ..he asks me how I plead...told him no contest/...he asked if I had anything to say...I told him that I had a spotless driving record for the past 14 years and would appreciate anything to be able to keep the 1 point and infraction off of my license...he looked at his computer then at me 

gave me DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION for one month...said if I don't get any traffic violations for one month then it will be dismissed

...of course I had to make a donation on the way out to the Policemen's Ball for $101.50 (court costs)

I felt like telling them that they should be paying me for getting started over an hour late...but kept my yap shut...and I will check my driving record in 6 weeks to make sure the violation did not mysteriously appear 

I will say that the judge was nice and seemed to be doing all he could in the people's favor

Edited by scinmyheart
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

update for anyone who may be a future violator in Knoxville

I went to city/municipal court for a mandatory 9:00 appearance for 35/30 speeding this morning

...about 9:10 the bailiff explains difference between guilty/not guilty/no contest pleas and when your name is called to say which one...he calls through a couple hundred names where many were not there due to postponement, taking care of earlier, etc...I called out no contest

...about 9:30 a lady comes out and has the 7 lawyers there representing people sign some form

...nothing else until 10:10 when the judge decides to make a special guest appearance...maybe he was in chambers eating a T-bone and eggs...who knows

...then they finally get the ball rolling...he takes the lawyers cases first so they can get back to their offices to fleece some more citizens...he knocks them out pretty quickly

...by 10:35 he's ready to start calling us regular people up to face him by alphabetical order, of course...with my last name starting with a "S", of course

...he takes a few "C"s then jumps to the "M"s for some reason...then it looked like he was knocking out the speeders first as I was next to a man with a tag issue with last name "C" and he had not called him when I left

...then by 10:55 it's my turn ..he asks me how I plead...told him no contest/...he asked if I had anything to say...I told him that I had a spotless driving record for the past 14 years and would appreciate anything to be able to keep the 1 point and infraction off of my license...he looked at his computer then at me

gave me DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION for one month...said if I don't get any traffic violations for one month then it will be dismissed

...of course I had to make a donation on the way out to the Policemen's Ball for $101.50 (court costs)

I felt like telling them that they should be paying me for getting started over an hour late...but kept my yap shut...and I will check my driving record in 6 weeks to make sure the violation did not mysteriously appear

I will say that the judge was nice and seemed to be doing all he could in the people's favor

I got one 3 weeks ago from a motorcycle cop clocked at 70 in 55. Wrote me for 60 in a 55. I'm still waiting for it to post online so I can just pay the fine.

Guess you could call me psychic then.  When your spouse seemingly got one every 60 days, you learn the system pretty quick.