Informing a LEO that your carrying, at a traffic stop

Guest johnmattwill

To put a different spin on it...

LEO: "Afternoon sir, are you aware of why I pulled you over?"

ME: "No sir, but here is my drivers license and my fishing license... I just wanted to warn you that I have been fishing today, and I have a cooler full with me right now."

LEO: (radioing the Game Warden for backup and drawing his sidearm) "Sir, I need you to step out of the vehicle..."

:(

Point is... if it's not relevant to the traffic stop, there's no need to complicate matters (ie, let him tell you why he pulled you over instead of announcing irrelevant personal business)... But, it's whatever works for each person.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while i haven't been pulled over w/ my gun yet... if it ever happens, i plan on using the good ol' golden rule method and hoping for the best: if i were an officer i'd want to know straight away that there's a firearm in my proximity, someone telling me they're carrying and showing their permit would seem forthright and responsible, while finding out after running their DL might seem, while within the law, maybe a bit annoying or suspect, maybe even disrespectful if i was in a less than positive/good mood.

besides, if the officer is the type who is going to give you a hassle, he might be a jerk either way, not volunteering the info straight away might just tick 'em off worse...

...even with my best manners, i got a lecture last time i got stopped just for having an "yankee" accent (which the guy felt was some kind of an attitude...), while most LE are a lot better stock than that guy, i'm not gonna push it...

Look guys, I know that every different HCP instructor gives a different answer. I know that some say "always tell the officer that you have a gun in the car first thing", I also know that others (of whom I am one) say "don't say anything unless asked" I also know this, one of the first questions out of my mouth when dealing with someone is "Do you have any guns, explosive devices, illegal narcotics, or contraband in your vehicle?" It is one of the questions that alot of officers will ask, especially if they are working Criminal Interdiction. So, in reality it doesn't make a difference if your going to tell or not, because in reality your going to tell us if you have a gun anyways: If the officer isn't smart enough to ask to begin with, its their fault. If the officer was just going to pull you over and give you a verbal warning about your headlight, taillight, whatever and then send you on your way, you have just then lengthened the stop for quite sometime, while he checks your permit, runs warrants, tag info, and whatever other checks his dispatcher decides to run (which usually takes about 5 mins; oh, wait NCIC/TCIC is down, well call the county their from and check 29's by phone; another 10-15 mins, they are clear, 10-4) and by this time you've gotten a real live ticket because the officer had the time to write it while he waited on the checks. So, my point of view is to keep things simple, if they ask, show them, if they don't, its their fault for not asking.

I was simplyfying my reasoning in earlier posts. The officer will usually work just as hard as you make him. Be polite and courteous, smile, ask how our day is, tell me that your greatful for what we do, make a connection with the officer, don't just be another traffic stop and citation, be a person Remember we're just doing our job, its never personal.

***All advise given does not apply to THP, they're a bunch of a**holes. Its not their fault, its trained into them at the academy and they don't know any better.:(

while i haven't been pulled over w/ my gun yet... if it ever happens, i plan on using the good ol' golden rule method and hoping for the best: if i were an officer i'd want to know straight away that there's a firearm in my proximity, someone telling me they're carrying and showing their permit would seem forthright and responsible, while finding out after running their DL might seem, while within the law, maybe a bit annoying or suspect, maybe even disrespectful if i was in a less than positive/good mood.

besides, if the officer is the type who is going to give you a hassle, he might be a jerk either way, not volunteering the info straight away might just tick 'em off worse...

...even with my best manners, i got a lecture last time i got stopped just for having an "yankee" accent (which the guy felt was some kind of an attitude...), while most LE are a lot better stock than that guy, i'm not gonna push it...

Any LEO who stops you should be prepared for the fact that you may have a gun and you may try to use it on them. If they are not thinking that way, they should go home. When you start walking up on a car, you prepare yourself that you may be in a gun fight in less than 15 seconds and you should mentally prepare yourself for that fact and look for avenues of escape and defense. If they are surprised by the fact that you are carrying a gun, they should go home and give it up, their time is over.

Oh... and BTW, down here an Yankee accent is considered "giving attitude" and will be dealt with in like manner :(

I've never been pulled over while carrying a gun, but if I were, I think I would lean more towards letting them know right away.

I have this fear of being shot by a LEO, simply because he/she wasn't aware of the facts in the given situation. To me, it's not worth the risk. I'll let them know, and they can deal with the situation however they see fit.

***All advise given does not apply to THP, they're a bunch of a**holes. Its not their fault, its trained into them at the academy and they don't know any better.:poop:

I hear they respond well to 'favors'... :(

Doesn't help me though. If I ever get pulled over by a black & tan, I'll just be like: "I admit it, I was speeding, go ahead and write me the ticket... I don't feel like b*****g you just to save time..." :)

Guest bkelm18

I was pulled over by THP a few weeks ago for speeding. I informed him up front that I was carrying and had a permit. He then asked if it was loaded. I then began to think this is going to get real sh*tty real quick, so I replied yes and prepared for a gun in my face, He said to keep it where it was and there wouldn't be any problems. I breathed a sigh of relief. He still gave me the ticket though :screwy:.

Guest Astra900

I was just talking to a guy who retired this year. He's been a cop since 1966. He's seen a little of everything in that time. I mentioned this thread, and we started talking. I just asked him why did so many police, especially the younger ones, have to act so childish about people legally carrying a weapon. He's one of the few cops that see things the way I do. He says "they're scared. Plain and simple. They don't like the THOUGHT of not being in absolute control. THe fact that someone else has a gun, and POSSIBLY has the potential to use it better scares the heck out of them"

Well, I can't blame a cop for that, but the way I see it and he agreed, if you are a police, and you are SO SCARED that you have to tread on people's rights to do your job, you need to find a new profession. It would scare the pants off me to pull over some idiot and him have a gun. Well, just another reason I ain't a cop.

He went on to tell me the MOST he has ever done when a person has a VALID carry permit, is to say "If you don't mind, would you please keep your hands on the steering wheel, just to make me feel better." Now any cop that says something like that to me, will get 110% compliance. Is it all that difficult to treat another man with a little dignity? I mean, we have to go through everything but a friggin prostate exam to get a permit! I'm not going to risk it over some stupid ticket.

Right or wrong I always give my HCP with my DL, I travel into NC and there you ARE required to inform. The one time I have been stopped was no big deal. And when I got into an accident I was standing their talking to the officer (he had my dl and had seen my hcp) with my firearm on my hip, he never gave me a second look. He did however give me a ticket for improper lane change and something else.

Most LEO's could care less if you have a gun (at least in my experiance), I worked inside a local sheriff's department for a week installing an access control. After being in there 4 days one of the deputies came up to me and said "the sheriff has a bunch of trustee's working around here and he would appreciate it if you would take that off" So I did.

Now the city of Athens is another story, those fools spent money on signs for the city schools knowing none were needed.:P

I was just talking to a guy who retired this year. He's been a cop since 1966. He's seen a little of everything in that time. I mentioned this thread, and we started talking. I just asked him why did so many police, especially the younger ones, have to act so childish about people legally carrying a weapon. He's one of the few cops that see things the way I do. He says "they're scared. Plain and simple. They don't like the THOUGHT of not being in absolute control. THe fact that someone else has a gun, and POSSIBLY has the potential to use it better scares the heck out of them"

Well, I can't blame a cop for that, but the way I see it and he agreed, if you are a police, and you are SO SCARED that you have to tread on people's rights to do your job, you need to find a new profession. It would scare the pants off me to pull over some idiot and him have a gun. Well, just another reason I ain't a cop.

He went on to tell me the MOST he has ever done when a person has a VALID carry permit, is to say "If you don't mind, would you please keep your hands on the steering wheel, just to make me feel better." Now any cop that says something like that to me, will get 110% compliance. Is it all that difficult to treat another man with a little dignity? I mean, we have to go through everything but a friggin prostate exam to get a permit! I'm not going to risk it over some stupid ticket.

I know what he's saying. I see alot of guys who want to be in charge so bad, that they don't know how to deal with people properly. They always act overbearing to persons who do not deserve to be treated that way. I get annoyed and jump their as* for it. There is no reason to be a a**hole to somebody, unless they ask you too. I'm one of the ones who are glad when a person decide to not be a sheep, but to be responsible and stand up for themselves and be prepared to defend themselves, their families, and others.

I don't know who said this, but I like it:

Exercise your freedoms and rights daily, and crush anyone who attempts to trample upon them

JLowe, for now on if i get pulled over i'm going to throw on a Vol's hat and speak as little as possible...:D

Slow down your speech and throw in a ya'll every now and then. ;)

Not sure about Tennessee, but Florida knows you have a permit after running your plates, I think it is the same here?

The most they could know is the person to whom the car is registered has a permit.

Another observation, those that have had a bad experiences with LEO's seem to continue to have bad experiences, those that have not had a bad experience, seem to continue to not have bad experiences.

I've had one bad experience with KPD, two older officers (unusual) and a younger officer ran them off and fixed the problem.

The other problems came with small town officers out of state.

Oh... and BTW, down here an Yankee accent is considered "giving attitude" and will be dealt with in like manner :D

1) bite me

2) go back to the deliverance hole from whence you came.;)

1) bite me

2) go back to the deliverance hole from whence you came.:D

First of all, I would be afraid of what I might catch from just touching you, much less actual exchange of body parts. From what I've seen Ajax and Chlorox won't take the scum off of you.;)

Secondly, We come from the mountains, not a hole (smelled like poop from what I was told) like you did. ;)

Bring that holster to Mike's tomorrow.

Stay on topic!!

This discussion is for Cops, Cop Haters, those that can’t get near a cop car without getting a beat down, and those that get removed from their car at gun point every time they get stopped.

If you are going to start a debate between Hickabillies and Northern Aggressors; you need to start a new thread.

rollfloor.gifrollfloor.gif

leaving.gif

Stay on topic!!

This discussion is for Cops, Cop Haters, those that can’t get near a cop car without getting a beat down, and those that get removed from their car at gun point every time they get stopped.

If you are going to start a debate between Hickabillies and Northern Aggressors; you need to start a new thread.

rollfloor.gifrollfloor.gif

leaving.gif

LOL and

Seems to me a disproportionate number of folks on TGO get pulled over, period.

I don't know what, if any, conclusion to draw from that.

- OS

HAHAHA!

Another observation, those that have had a bad experiences with LEO's seem to continue to have bad experiences, those that have not had a bad experience, seem to continue to not have bad experiences.

Isn't that amazing! It is the same way at work. Certain people always have the black cloud over their head and have emergency reasons why they can't be there and everyone else has to pick up their slack! I agreee with you 100% db99wj!

Maybe it the persons attitude or the way they talk to others. That brings on the bad experiences.