Semi Auto Rifles of WW2

Is anybody familiar with the STG 58? I knew a guy a few years ago that had one and let me shoot it a few times. I never even imagined he would ever sell it, so I never asked. Anyway a few months later he sold it. I guess you need to ask questions...... STG 58 rifles are very similar to FN FAL 7.62x51 cal.

That I'm not sure about. Just saw it hanging on the wall but didn't ask about that (because I didn't know it could come from different countries).

There's Egyptian in 8mm, Venezuelan in 7x57, the Argentina in 7.62 NATO if it's been converted...original chambering was 7x57, and the ever desirable SAFN Luxembourg contract in .30-06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anybody familiar with the STG 58? I knew a guy a few years ago that had one and let me shoot it a few times. I never even imagined he would ever sell it, so I never asked. Anyway a few months later he sold it. I guess you need to ask questions...... STG 58 rifles are very similar to FN FAL 7.62x51 cal.

I'd like an original model FAL and not these newer ones with different designations. I know that there are two units of measure for the parts on FAL rifles; metric and standard. Haven't read enough about them so it seems confusing to me.

An STG 58 is just one of several versions of the FAL.  They all function the same, the differences are essentially just cosmetic with the exception of inch/metric pattern rifles.  I believe the STG 58 is the Austrian version with the built-in bipod and really long flash hider / grenade launcher. 

The STG 58 that I shot and looked at was a well built but, a little crude. The bipod still had rough welds on it. Not much had been ground down at all.

Probably built from a kit or a collection of surplus piece parts. I built mine from an Imbel (Brazilian) kit.

I was looking at a couple from Classic firearms but read some bad reviews(good also) from these guyz. If/when I ever do decide to purchase one, it'll be my first older rifle and don't think I want it to be a gamble. I know of JG, SoG and maybe 1 other that sells 'em. Is there a site anyone would recommend? Is Gunsamerica a good place to look? I've seen a couple guns go for good price on there.

I was looking at a couple from Classic firearms but read some bad reviews(good also) from these guyz. If/when I ever do decide to purchase one, it'll be my first older rifle and don't think I want it to be a gamble. I know of JG, SoG and maybe 1 other that sells 'em. Is there a site anyone would recommend? Is Gunsamerica a good place to look? I've seen a couple guns go for good price on there.

Each order that I have had from classic has been spot on. I ordered my Yougo Sks from them back in the summer, they were great. Shipped straight to the house.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice M1 their Ramjo. Is the wood all beech?

The fella I bought it off of said it was. I have the original bottom stock piece that he took off of it. The new stock started off really really light colored but it's darkened up quite a bit.

I guess I'm a bit late to this party, but I do have a couple. I'm partial to the U.S. guns.  :usa:

100_0584.jpg

I looked at going thru the CMP several years ago, but all the hoops and paperwork just doesn't seem worth it, not counting the long wait time and not getting to actually pick out your own rifle...  

Get your paperwork together and make a little road trip to the CMP South Store in Anniston, Ala. There you can pick and choose from what they have in the store and take it home right then. The staff is extremely helpful and will loan you  bore and chamber gauges to help you make a selection. That's what I did and have never regretted it.  :up: 

Come on now. The paperwork isn't that difficult, you get to pick your own rifle, you know its in good condition and its not that far of a drive from anywhere in Tennessee. Not to mention that it'll save a at minimum a several hundred over what you might find locally. 

CMP Garands won't last much longer. The supply is running out.  The time to get one is NOW.  ;) 

• Like 3