Vortex Crossfire II, Bushnell AR BDC or Leupold VXR

On Friday I picked up a Ruger 556fb, I am very excited, but I am relatively new to this platform. It has Troy sites, that are supposed to be great from everything I have read, but I would like to put an optic on it that will be a catch all. All the scopes and binoculars that I have ever owned except one Nikon have been Leupold, so I am strongly leaning towards the VXR. In my research I came across the Vortex Crossfire and the Bushnell AR. All three of these are illuminates and they are 1-4 with a 20mm tube. I think that this will work best for what I want. Any thoughts on these would be helpful as all the review I have read on line are favorable for all three. Money doesn't grow on trees, but I have no problem spending money on what I want. If something more economical will be just as effective I will happily buy it. Also thinking about a seethrough mount. Thanks in advance for your help. All the links are from Amazon, so you should be safe.

Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24mm Riflescope $199
http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Crossfire-1-4x24mm-Riflescope-CF2-31037/dp/B00HYRGODO/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1456108580&sr=1-5&keywords=vortex+crossfire+ii

Bushnell AR Optics FFP Illuminated BDC Reticle AR-223 Riflescope 1-4x 24mm $219
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU6EIIY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AU6EIIY&linkCode=as2&tag=riflescopecen-20&linkId=KMY3S6SGS3GEYUDQ

Leupold 111230 VXR 1.25-4x20mm $499
http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-111230-VXR-1-25-4x20mm-Scope/dp/B004NKSOOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1456108700&sr=1-1&keywords=leupold+vxr Edited by Odessa7979

You generally get what you pay for with optics, especially if you stay with known brands.  

Personally, I prefer a red-dot with the option of a magnifier on my ARs.  My EOTechs co-witness easily with the Troy or MagPul pop-ups, and is pretty good up to 300yds.  

• Like 1

You generally get what you pay for with optics, especially if you stay with known brands.

I agree with this statement and Leupold's warranty/customer service is great. At the same time, you are hard pressed to see anything bad about the other two optics.

I have thought about the magnifier, but I am running three things, sights-red dot-magnifier. This might not be a big deal at all. Once you add a magnifier you are over a $1000. If I am going to do this, I might as well just get an Acog.

I agree with this statement and Leupold's warranty/customer service is great. At the same time, you are hard pressed to see anything bad about the other two optics.

I have thought about the magnifier, but I am running three things, sights-red dot-magnifier. This might not be a big deal at all. Once you add a magnifier you are over a $1000. If I am going to do this, I might as well just get an Acog.

You are right, Leupold's CS is fantastic. 

Do what works for you.  I just shared what works for me.  If I pick up an AR I am worried about <150yrds.  I want something I can clear the house or take care of a nuisance coyote.  I really like to co-witness the sights if I put an optic on a defense gun.  Just my preference.  

I don't have a good magnifier, just a cheap one that I bought on Amazon.  I keep it in my grab bag, but don't keep it mounted. I think I paid $60 for it, and about $400 for the EOTech.  But you are correct, a good magnifier pushes you towards the $1k price range.  

That is the beauty of the AR platform.  If I want a longer range setup, I can just build a different upper and mount whatever optic I want on it. 

• Like 1

Something you may not realize is that having a scope actually built by Leupold might be better as well as cheaper. There was a thread on another forum a few years back where a guy was about to buy their shotgun scope then have the reticle swapped to an actual BDC reticle that matched his accurate load. It was nearly identical to another ready made scope Leupold had but the custom one was a few hundred cheaper.

Most BDC reticles do not match most loads. You might get really, really lucky and have your accurate load be the one used to calibrate the stadia lines but in most cases they do not match at all.

When you are dialing a lot you want a better quality scope. The cheaper ones use cheaper materials and the clicks become mushy over time. If it is going to be zeroed and stay that way for long periods the cheaper ones will work fine. Also, the cheaper ones might settle into their zero by shifting a little as it is getting shot.

• Like 1
I am pretty sure I am going to get the Leupold. One youtuber stated that he thought the 1.25 magnification was more like 1.5 and had a hard time using it with both eyes open. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I am also going to forgo the high seethrough mount and get a lt104 - Larue Tactical quick release mount. Thanks for everyone's help.

I thought about this. May be something I will do down the road. Have you ever had or used this type of setup?

I have a set that I have tinkered with, and liked them.  The co-witnessed pop ups just work better for my current  setups. They will be the focus of my next build.  

Edited by quietguy
I have a couple rifles with magnified optics on top and a set of fixed angled iron sights installed for closer up stuff. Absolutely love it. On my M&P10 I have a 6-18x Vortex Crossfire II (if I were doing it again now, it'd be a Diamondback) with 6x as the minimum magnification, the angled irons are a must for any type of quick acquisition. Though up close is not the purpose of the rifle, it's nice to have the option.

I shot someone else's rifle at a 3 gun match that had some nice 1.5-7x or something on top, and a reflex red dot on an angled mount. It was one of the most natural and comfortable things to use. So fast for close engagement (maybe 30-40 yards and in) and then drilling 6" poppers further out. Shooting the rifle at a 45 degree angle is more comfy than vertical, imho.

I have the angled irons cuz they're cheaper, but they might be replaced by reflex sights later on. 'Specially if I get my lazy butt to more 3 gun stuff.
  • Like 1

When I got my .300 I was looking to spend under $250. I have never owned any 1-4 power scopes. Just a fixed 4x ACOG and some 3-9 power scopes on a couple of my hunting rifles. I chanced myself with the Nikon P223 1-4 20mm scope, and it's been great. Clear glass, easy adjustments on the fly, and the reticle is awesome. Here's a link to Midway's site with the scope. The scope is set on a Windham 16" .300 blackout and paired with a set of offset MBUS Pro's. I am very pleased with the quality and even more so with the price I paid.

I forgot to mention the mount. I got a vortex cantilever mount, and it positions the scope perfectly for my set LOP. If you're looking at LT mounts then there's no reason to consider the Vortex mount. Also, prior to purchasing the Magpul sights, I bought the XS offset sights. I loved the dot/ V setup. I read reviews on amazon mentioning how low they mounted to the receiver. I didn't think it would be an issue so I got them. Once I had them installed I immediately saw the issue. I had to squeeze by cheek to the stock so hard and rotate my shoulders upwards to get the front sight to lay correctly in the rear sight. They're an awesome concept, but the rear sight needs to be a hair taller for a proper sight picture. Hope this helps.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/569409/nikon-p-223-rifle-scope-1-tube-15-4x20mm-bdc-600-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420197402/vortex-cantilever-1-piece-extended-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-integral-rings-ar-15-flat-top-matte

Edited by BGAthletics6
  • Like 1
Thanks, if I wasn't looking for an illuminated retical, then the Nikon would be in the running. That is good info on the sight hight. I currently looking into a similar set up for sites.

$$$ just keeps adding up. That being said, I would rather pay more upfront for something I am going to be happy with. Edited by Odessa7979

I hear ya. I don't know if someone has already mentioned it, but look at the Vortex Strike Eagle. MSRP is on par with the Leupold minus about $50. I'm not too much of a fan of the reticle on the Strike Eagle, but it offers a greater magnification range. 1-6 vs 1.25-4. If you're MIL/LE, check out Leupold's discount program. Many friends of mine continue to purchase their optics through this program and say that it's a great option.

Being able to magnify to a six is nice, but I really like the option to power down all the way to a one.  One of the only complaints I read about the Leopold was some people felt the scope was not a true 1.25 and had a hard time shooting with both eyes open on the lowest setting.  Thanks for the heads up.   

• Like 1