Suggestions for iron sights on AR 15

Finished assembling my first AR PSA upper with PSA lower build kit. The upper has a free floating hand guard and I need to find some iron sights that will won't break the bank. PSA is out of stock on many items and this is a budget build. Everyone has Troy or magpul but he cost is close to $ 200 for a set. Looking for something less expensive, Thanks.

Primary Arms has the Troy sights on sale for the 4th, $69.99 each for both front & rear.

Not cheap, but cheaper than they are normally.

http://www.primaryarms.com/troy-rear-folding-battlesight-black/p/ssig-fbs-r0bt-00/

http://www.primaryarms.com/troy-folding-battle-sight-front-m4-style-black/p/ssig-fbs-fmbt-00/

I have also used the plastic Magpul MBUS Gen 2. They work well, but are more bulky. I would expect them to be less durable than the aluminum Troy sights, but I haven't broken them. $85 for the set, also at Primary Arms.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, mike_f said:

Primary Arms has the Troy sights on sale for the 4th, $69.99 each for both front & rear.

Not cheap, but cheaper than they are normally.

http://www.primaryarms.com/troy-rear-folding-battlesight-black/p/ssig-fbs-r0bt-00/

http://www.primaryarms.com/troy-folding-battle-sight-front-m4-style-black/p/ssig-fbs-fmbt-00/

I have also used the plastic Magpul MBUS Gen 2. They work well, but are more bulky. I would expect them to be less durable than the aluminum Troy sights, but I haven't broken them. $85 for the set, also at Primary Arms.

I love my Troys! This is definitely a better than normal price and if I wasn't broke would grab another set. For fixed sights I really love the Daniel Defense set.

I also have no issues with the Magpul MBUS for cost effective buis.

I love my Troys! This is definitely a better than normal price and if I wasn't broke would grab another set. For fixed sights I really love the Daniel Defense set.

I also have no issues with the Magpul MBUS for cost effective buis.

Echo. Daniel defense make some awesome fixed irons. Magpul MBUS are much tougher than you'd think, even though they are polymer.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally run magpul on all my rifles because they are reliable and easy to deploy. Can usually find them in a pair front and rear in the $80 range if you do some good :google: searching. If this is going to be a irons only gun i would look into a fixed front sight and a rear carry handle style sight.

Now if your just a cheap :censored: then look into some good airsoft sights like utg. They will work but nothing i would stake my life on in the situation i needed them.

On July 2, 2016 at 4:44 PM, mike_f said:

This.

These are as cheap as you're going to find for a dependable sight.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Rightwinger said:

Check out these from Mission First Tactical.  Really liking their stuff.  Have the minimalist stock, a set of the pop ups and their new mini light on a pistol.

They fold really tight to the rifle, you just pull back and they pop up.

20160402_215416_zpsaabeeuln.jpg

20160402_215436_zpskhk2bcpv.jpg

I kinda like those

Check out these from Mission First Tactical.  Really liking their stuff.  Have the minimalist stock, a set of the pop ups and their new mini light on a pistol.

They fold really tight to the rifle, you just pull back and they pop up.

20160402_215416_zpsaabeeuln.jpg

20160402_215436_zpskhk2bcpv.jpg

Sorry, but I owned a set of these for about 2 days. They aren't even playing the same ball game that magpul is. My set had side to side wiggle when deployed, and were made out of very thin polymer. They were so bad I wouldn't even sell them, straight to the garbage they went.

Not my video, but similar opinions
  • Like 1

Hmm, guess I got lucky.  I haven't had those issues.  Are they metal strong, nope.  But 56Fordguy can recall, I had the 1st gen Magpul sights and had to get them to send me a replacement front sight pin to start and they never zeroed.  Same results, different vendor.  Guess they all have their days.

This thread is over a month old, but I do want to submit a suggestion that I've tried recently. If you're serious about using irons to hit targets at distance, I believe the KAC 600m rear sight should be in the conversation. They can be found for around $70, it's my new go to rear folding sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk