Ruger American 22lr or Savage MK2 FVSR ?

I'm thinking ahead to a good silencer host for my jail-bird Spectre II. I've narrowed it down to the Ruger American threaded 22 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/96901/Ruger+8334+American+Rimfire+Bolt+22+LR+18"+TB+10+1+Syn+ODG+Stk+Blued 

or the Savage MKII FVSR https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71899/Savage+MKIIFVSR+22LR+THREADED+BBL.

The Savage is cheaper, but I like the Ruger's mags. I've watched a few YouTube vids on both. I'm sure I would be happy with either, but what is your preference and why?

Edited by Wingshooter

I bought the savage as a host, although I am still waiting on the stamp. I will say it is alright for the money, but the stock is horrible. It is like it was built for a child. If you are an average sized adult or bigger, plan on a new stock. I will be buying a boyds stock for mine shortly.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, tmauto769 said:

I bought the savage as a host, although I am still waiting on the stamp. I will say it is alright for the money, but the stock is horrible. It is like it was built for a child. If you are an average sized adult or bigger, plan on a new stock. I will be buying a boyds stock for mine shortly.

I am doing this exact same thing.  The Savage trigger wins all day vs Ruger.  I am ordering a Boyd's varmint stock w thumbhole in the gray/blue laminate.  The factory Savage stock is garbage.  Think Crossman BB gun.  Blech.  But the action, trigger, and barrel are top notch.

And I already have a 10/22 and a bazillion mags for it... still getting the Savage.

• Like 2

I guess I should have added.  I also swapped the stock as the factory one is junk.  I bought a an unfinished Boyds Tacticool for $89 and painted it.  I also added a cheek riser.  (No, i don't shoot it off that rest.  It just happened to be sitting on top of that safe :D)

IMG_0698.JPG

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 3

I've shot both a lot and owned the Ruger in several variations.  I would go Ruger all day.  The trigger is made to self tinker with.  It is very easy to get it to < 2lbs and crisp.  Using Wolf Std Vel that Ruger will really shoot. The Savage is OK, and a pretty good shooter too.  Also those Ruger American Rimfire stocks are pretty good, not like the Savage plastic stocks at all.  For a working rifle I would keep the Ruger stock on the gun, adjust the trigger to sub 2lbs and shock the snot out of folks who have spent serious money on chasing accuracy and reliability within certain price points.  The last Ruger American .22LR I had would shoot as well as any of the several CZs I used to own.  I think it would have given my late Kimber of Oregon Stainless Classic a run for its money too. 

I think the Ruger American .22lr is the best value in decent shooting .22s without having to break the bank.  I'm thinking with a bit of tinkering it might shoot alongside the Anschutz sporters.  At least as good that squirrels wouldn't know what killed them...Ruger American or Anschutz.

P.S. The quality and variety of Ruger magazines can't be beat.

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I guess I should have added.  I also swapped the stock as the factory one is junk.  I bought a an unfinished Boyds Tacticool for $89 and painted it.  I also added a cheek riser.  (No, i don't shoot it off that rest.  It just happened to be sitting on top of that safe :D)

IMG_0698.JPG

I like that pattern on the stock

I've owned both and would go Ruger. They both shot lights out but the mag alone is the selling point. If you hunt at all the savage mag will jab you in the side while on a sling.  Plus once you get some mags it will give you a good excuse to get a 10/22. A requirement of any gun collection.