Another Big Cat Sighting (Marshall Co)

Edit, it's a hoax.  Do a google image search for it.

The Hoax: The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Information Center received many emails of the above image in 2011. Most people believed this trail camera image was taken in eastern Kentucky. Some claimed it was taken on Black Mountain near Cumberland, while others gave the location as Knox County.

The Truth:  This is a real photo of a mountain lion in western Montana.  It was taken by a remote camera 
in the summer of 2010. 

http://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Mountain-Lions.aspx

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
Edit, it's a hoax.  Do a google image search for it.

The Hoax: The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Information Center received many emails of the above image in 2011. Most people believed this trail camera image was taken in eastern Kentucky. Some claimed it was taken on Black Mountain near Cumberland, while others gave the location as Knox County.

The Truth:  This is a real photo of a mountain lion in western Montana.  It was taken by a remote camera 
in the summer of 2010. 

http://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Mountain-Lions.aspx

Does this mean I can't buy my M1..? I was hoping this was real but it looks as I've been had.

I don't even mow my yard unarmed. I have no idea what's in the area behind my property and of course, who's in the vehicles going down the road (but that's another topic :D) I don't want to be the headline when they realize we have cougars around here.

"Old dude pulled off riding mower and killed by cougar"

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Preacher357 said:

That picture may not be genuine, but I saw a cat that size and color about 24 years ago in Gibson County (West TN). They are definitely in the state.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I saw one while hunting at Anderson Tully in Lauderdale County in '98.

11 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Did they ever figure out what dragged off and killed that 4 year old boy that was hiking with his grandma a little while back?

Noah Chamberlin I guess...

He just wandered off, died of hypothermia.

- OS

2 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Thanks. I can't imagine how any parent/grandparent would lose track of a 4yr old like that.

Hell, he was actually only 2. Likely would have been a world class long distance runner had he grown up!

Final autopsy report and determination:

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/local-news/final-autopsy-results-released-in-noah-chamberlin-case

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
2 hours ago, Preacher357 said:

That picture may not be genuine, but I saw a cat that size and color about 24 years ago in Gibson County (West TN). They are definitely in the state.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Which is by no coincidence where the confirmed(twice confirmed) sightings and photos were taken last year,  just a few miles outside of Gibson Co. near the river.

I live in Gibson County, as above, I never go into the woods unarmed(or anywhere else, I.e..bathroom, garage, etc).  Not for the cats, but meth-heads can't be trusted. I've found shake and bake meth stuff more times than I like in the woods. Also found a substantial amount of marijuana plants being cultivated once. Of course this was public lands. 

TWRA acknowledges cougars in state http://lebanondemocrat.com/Sports/2015/12/23/TWRA-acknowledges-cougars-in-state-1.html

"The Agency is aware of cougars expanding their range," he said. "They have been in Missouri and Arkansas for several years now, and somehow managed to get across the Mississippi River (into Tennessee.)"

There have also been credible sighting in Kentucky, which means that cougars could migrate into the state from that direction.

Markham said most of the sightings have occurred in West Tennessee, although one of the more recent was in Humphreys County, adjacent to Dickson County.

Edited by kieefer
25 minutes ago, Jct1911 said:

Which is by no coincidence where the confirmed(twice confirmed) sightings and photos were taken last year,  just a few miles outside of Gibson Co. near the river.

I live in Gibson County, as above, I never go into the woods unarmed(or anywhere else, I.e..bathroom, garage, etc).  Not for the cats, but meth-heads can't be trusted. I've found shake and bake meth stuff more times than I like in the woods. Also found a substantial amount of marijuana plants being cultivated once. Of course this was public lands. 

The one I saw was just south of Trenton.  I know guys that have seen them in Crockett county between Humboldt and Alamo as well.  They have been spotted in Obion and Lake county also, which means they are all over West TN.  I don't consider them much of a danger though.  As far as wild animals go, the half breed coyotes are probably the biggest threat around here.  Like you said though, the real danger are the two legged animals we have around here.  

Edited by Preacher357
8 minutes ago, kieefer said:

TWRA acknowledges cougars in state http://lebanondemocrat.com/Sports/2015/12/23/TWRA-acknowledges-cougars-in-state-1.html

"The Agency is aware of cougars expanding their range," he said. "They have been in Missouri and Arkansas for several years now, and somehow managed to get across the Mississippi River (into Tennessee.)"

There have also been credible sighting in Kentucky, which means that cougars could migrate into the state from that direction.

Markham said most of the sightings have occurred in West Tennessee, although one of the more recent was in Humphreys County, adjacent to Dickson County.

That article also mentions coyotes and armadillos.  Coyotes have been here as long as I can remember, but the armadillos are something new.  I had never even seen one until just a few years ago, and now those nasty rascals are everywhere.  They have actually replaced possum as the #1 road kill around here now.  

6 minutes ago, Preacher357 said:

That article also mentions coyotes and armadillos.  Coyotes have been here as long as I can remember, but the armadillos are something new.  I had never even seen one until just a few years ago, and now those nasty rascals are everywhere.  They have actually replaced possum as the #1 road kill around here now.  

Years ago I would see armadillo roadkill on the Natchez Trace, I'd ride to a yearly MC rally in Savanna TN and that's where I first saw them. Over the years I saw them slowly moving east. I'm not sure how close they are to Nashville but I have yet to see them in Wilson Co.. Coyotes I have seen around here.

19 minutes ago, kieefer said:

Years ago I would see armadillo roadkill on the Natchez Trace, I'd ride to a yearly MC rally in Savanna TN and that's where I first saw them. Over the years I saw them slowly moving east. I'm not sure how close they are to Nashville but I have yet to see them in Wilson Co.. Coyotes I have seen around here.

Dead one on side of busy road in middle of Chattanooga not long ago. Maybe those are coming from the South rather than the West. :)

- OS

8 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Dead one on side of busy road in middle of Chattanooga not long ago. Maybe those are coming from the South rather than the West. :)

- OS

Armadillos definitely,  but I wonder why one of the stories stated they (cougars)come from across the Mississippi and not up from FL?

4 minutes ago, Omega said:

Armadillos definitely,  but I wonder why one of the stories stated they (cougars)come from across the Mississippi and not up from FL?

Cause the only known ones in FL are an isolated subspecies. They're much smaller, too.

Also also, AFAIK no validated reports from other states south of us.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot