Twitter suspending accounts for violent extremism

NextExit

While I can appreciate that the termination of "violence and extremist groups" is a good thing. I would prefer knowing more about their criteria for assessing just who these groups are.

Would it be like the FB mass bans of accounts and postings concerning firearms groups and individuals, or something more substantial as those Islamic/Isis pages advocating violent action and acting as money laundering and collection agents.

In either event, Twitter is a waste of time. Just another opiate for the masses.

When I purchased our smartphones, the salesperson set up accounts for us both. I've never used it and don't intend to. Far too much needless BS from what I hear, and see from young friends who seem to live on it. They seemingly cannot go 5 minutes without going there.

I have better more enjoyable ways to waste my time.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, NextExit said:

Twitter says they use Google analytics. . 'nuff said. To me twitter looks like text messaging with a limit but with a bunch of pound signs,  oops I mean hash tags followed by drivel.  

Don't look now, but TGO appears to use Google analytics, too. 

There is a lot of drivel on twitter, but I've found it can be quite useful.  I see it as particularly useful for businesses and other organizations to get the word out on late breaking news or as "push notifications" to notify individuals of things they've published. A specific example would be for event cancellations due to inclement weather.

I don't have a twitter account for what that's worth.

Twitter has user agreements and terms of service.  It's up to them who they ban, private service and all. 

If you don't like Twitter, it's probably because you've never tried to tailor it for your own purposes.  I have a follow list that keeps me up to date on news (standard, left, and right leaning), interest items, sports, naked women, and safety warnings.  It makes for an easy way to get information in a condensed format, allowing me to pick what I want to dive into.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Ski said:

Don't look now, but TGO appears to use Google analytics, too.

What?!?!?!? :panic:  That did it, I'm outta here!  JK.... I'll stay here, I'm already guilty by association.

2 hours ago, btq96r said:

Twitter has user agreements and terms of service.  It's up to them who they ban, private service and all. 

If you don't like Twitter, it's probably because you've never tried to tailor it for your own purposes.  I have a follow list that keeps me up to date on news (standard, left, and right leaning), interest items, sports, naked women, and safety warnings.  It makes for an easy way to get information in a condensed format, allowing me to pick what I want to dive into.

Actually, it's because I've never tried it.  Their privacy policy looks better than FB and Instagram (one in the same) but I don't care for the 140 character limit and all the #@#@#@#@#.   Don't need an account to go to their home page and see what's going on.

7 hours ago, btq96r said:

Naked women??  Hmmmm. Did I speak too quickly?

4 hours ago, NextExit said:

What?!?!?!? :panic:  That did it, I'm outta here!  JK.... I'll stay here, I'm already guilty by association.

Actually, it's because I've never tried it.  Their privacy policy looks better than FB and Instagram (one in the same) but I don't care for the 140 character limit and all the #@#@#@#@#.   Don't need an account to go to their home page and see what's going on.

Give it a try sometime.  You can set your phone and PC browser so that Twitter doesn't get more than you want.  Pick a few news sources or personalities you like (lots of gun themed ones to pick from) and go from there.  If people need more than 140 characters, they usually just link to their blogs or Facebook page. 

14 minutes ago, Ted S. said:

I use Twitter for ####posting. Mostly. But I've found it interesting how much faster news breaks on Twitter vs. Actual news outlets.

The traditional media is still using confirmation for stories so they don't look bad.  Also, for the news channels, they need to line up enough info to talk about it for a while depending on how big a deal it is (or they want to make it into).  I usually take anything I read with a grain of salt until confirmed myself, but things spread fast, that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, hipower said:

Naked women??  Hmmmm. Did I speak too quickly?

Lots of 'em. :D

Don't need to sign up to read the stories, however it is tempting to get an account so I can leave my true, uncensored opinions on pages like Fear The Walking Dead, TWD, Preacher, etc, and positive opinions on Better Call Saul.  Probably better than using the "rants and raves" on Craigslist. :rolleyes:

Are you allowed to be anonymous on there?  I see one name next to a persons avatar but the "@______" is different.  :confused:

1 hour ago, NextExit said:

Don't need to sign up to read the stories, however it is tempting to get an account so I can leave my true, uncensored opinions on pages like Fear The Walking Dead, TWD, Preacher, etc, and positive opinions on Better Call Saul.  Probably better than using the "rants and raves" on Craigslist. :rolleyes:

Are you allowed to be anonymous on there?  I see one name next to a persons avatar but the "@______" is different.  :confused:

You can be anonymous.  It does need an email to sign up, but that's not shown.  The @ is the handle like any other site, just the same you use NextExit here.  The name next to the avatar will be whatever you want.  You could say your name is Pat McGroin and they wouldn't care.

35 minutes ago, NextExit said:

Looks like twitter wants to take over my phone :stare:

Screenshot_2016_08_19_22_47_20.png

Are you using the stock Google, or a custom ROM?  You should be able to turn off the access to any of that with permissions in the settings menu.  The only thing it *needs* is a very small bit of bandwidth from your cell network or wi-fi. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, NextExit said:

Stock Google. 

You'll need to go through in each individual one then at the app itself.  It will ask you if you want to search your contacts for people to follow, but you can say no.  Things like storage, camera, microphone are only used when you use them with a tweet as attached media.  Location is only used if you have it on, and allow permission.  Just go through the settings on Twitter and see what you want to turn off.  Long term solution would be to flash CyanogenMod and use their Privacy Guard and turn off access for each one.

FWIW, my phone shows that Twitter has never asked to read the call log, SMS, calendar.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, btq96r said:

You'll need to go through in each individual one then at the app itself.  It will ask you if you want to search your contacts for people to follow, but you can say no.  Things like storage, camera, microphone are only used when you use them with a tweet as attached media.  Location is only used if you have it on, and allow permission.  Just go through the settings on Twitter and see what you want to turn off.  Long term solution would be to flash CyanogenMod and use their Privacy Guard and turn off access for each one.

FWIW, my phone shows that Twitter has never asked to read the call log, SMS, calendar.  

<~off topic~> I'd like to root my phone but apparently it's about impossible to do that on a Galaxy S5 on AT&T.  CyanogenMod won't work.  Neither does towelroot or iRoot.  There's a great app called XPrivacy to block app permissions but it will only work on a rooted phone.  Had no problem rooting my old S3 but apparently AT&T has put some type of boot image signing. 

I'd like to root my phone but apparently it's about impossible to do that on a Galaxy S5 on AT&T.  CyanogenMod won't work.  Neither does towelroot or iRoot.  There's a great app called XPrivacy to block app permissions but it will only work on a rooted phone.  Had no problem rooting my old S3 but apparently AT&T has put some type of boot image signing. 

What version of Android are you on?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk just to give Oh Shoot something to be grumpy about.

Go to Settings > About Phone> then scroll down to Build Number. Tap it seven times, at which point you should see the message, "You are now a developer!"

Then go to Developer Options (if you just unlocked it under settings), and you may see an option for Root Access.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk just to give Oh Shoot something to be grumpy about.

2 hours ago, btq96r said:

Go to Settings > About Phone> then scroll down to Build Number. Tap it seven times, at which point you should see the message, "You are now a developer!"

Then go to Developer Options (if you just unlocked it under settings), and you may see an option for Root Access.

It says developer mode has already been turned on but there's nothing there that shows root access.  And hours of searching tells me there's no hope.  I may just go back to my S3.  It's rooted and just sitting here collecting dust since I "upgraded" to an S5  :rolleyes:

Screen_shot_2016_08_21_at_3_37_34_PM.png

5 minutes ago, NextExit said:

It says developer mode has already been turned on but there's nothing there that shows root access.  And hours of searching tells me there's no hope.  I may just go back to my S3.  It's rooted and just sitting here collecting dust since I "upgraded" to an S5  :rolleyes:

That's why I just bought my own phone (Nexus 5) and brought it to AT&T for a postpaid account.  Let me do whatever I wanted to the phone.  All I need AT&T for is access to a cell network, and I get away from all their BS contracts, upgrades, ect...with a reasonable bill as a bonus. 

$300 for an unlocked 16GB Nexus 5x or $350 for the 32GB model from BestBuy...not a bad deal at all.  A phone just as good (better in *my* opinion that Samsung), and very easy to load CM13.  Just something to think about.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-google-nexus-5x-4g-with-16gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-carbon/4735900.p?id=1219810399791&skuId=4735900&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=15eff79e-2b37-4f7f-8ab0-41c4c7e4d084&ksprof_id=10&ksaffcode=pg107921&ksdevice=c

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1