They had a 9-11 sale

56FordGuy

On 9/10/2016 at 7:13 AM, Chucktshoes said:

Damn, you people are sensitive. This has folks here more triggered than a tumblr special snowflake being told that there are only two genders. 

Chuck, I've gathered from several of your posts that you have an alternative view of 9/11 and I can respect that, but with that comment, you're just actively trolling. Insinuating that the tragedy of 9/11 is akin to opinions about gender inequality is a pretty effed up.

You're aware that it's possible to have an opinion and not share it correct? I think poorly of a few people and their opinions... but they'll never know it because I have enough tact to keep it to myself.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
43 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

Chuck, I've gathered from several of your posts that you have an alternative view of 9/11 and I can respect that, but with that comment, you're just actively trolling. Insinuating that the tragedy of 9/11 is akin to opinions about gender inequality is a pretty effed up.

You're aware that it's possible to have an opinion and not share it correct? I think poorly of a few people and their opinions... but they'll never know it because I have enough tact to keep it to myself.

You misread my comment. I'm not drawing any comparisons between 9/11 and gender issues. I'm making note of outsized reactions to what are really minor offenses. It was a stupid and ill thought out ad, but the wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments that it elicited was borderline hysterical. 

Okay, as long as everyone here is already offended I'll go ahead and pose a question:

Do y'all think that 9-11-2001 would still be so alive and such a touchy subject in our nation's collective memory if the attacks had taken place in, say, Knoxville?  Chattanooga?  Memphis, even?  I don't.  In fact, I will go so far as to say that had the attacks taken place in any of those cities then folks from our surrounding neighbor states would have come to help out but certainly not masses of people from all over the country.  I also don't think there would still be as much of a national 'remembrance' every year and certainly not after fifteen years.  In short, if it had happened here then, after the initial reports, I believe that most people in other parts of the country - unless they lost people they knew in the attacks - wouldn't give it a second thought after fifteen years had passed.  Think of the Oklahoma City bombings, for instance, as a case in point.  That was a terrorist attack on American soil that killed innocent men, women and children - many of whom didn't even have anything to do with the Federal Government and just happened to work in offices that had space in the building.  How much do we still hear about that?  Yes, the scale wasn't as large but I think the real reason there is so little remembrance when compared to 9/11 is that 9/11 happened in New York City and, again, I doubt that the majority of New Yorkers today would give a tinker's damn if some buildings in downtown Nashville had been blown up fifteen years ago.  How many New Yorkers do you think are even aware of the terrorist shootings in Chattanooga?  Yes, I realize that not as many people died and no buildings were brought down but this happened last year, not fifteen years ago.  I am not saying 9/11 wasn't a horrible tragedy or that it isn't a 'big deal' - of course it was and is - just trying to throw in a little perspective regarding other tragedies that do not get equal consideration and remembrance probably simply because the location was not 'The Big Apple.'. 

Edited by JAB
13 minutes ago, JAB said:

Okay, as long as everyone here is already offended I'll go ahead and pose a question:

Do y'all think that 9-11-2001 would still be so alive and such a touchy subject in our nation's collective memory if the attacks had taken place in, say, Knoxville?  Chattanooga?  Memphis, even?  I don't.  In fact, I will go so far as to say that had the attacks taken place in any of those cities then folks from our surrounding neighbor states would have come to help out but certainly not masses of people from all over the country.  I also don't think there would still be as much of a national 'remembrance' every year and certainly not after fifteen years.  In short, if it had happened here then, after the initial reports, I believe that most people in other parts of the country - unless they lost people they knew in the attacks - wouldn't give it a second thought after fifteen years had passed.  Think of the Oklahoma City bombings, for instance, as a case in point.  That was a terrorist attack on American soil that killed innocent men, women and children - many of whom didn't even have anything to do with the Federal Government and just happened to work in offices that had space in the building.  How much do we still hear about that?  Yes, the scale wasn't as large but I think the real reason there is so little remembrance when compared to 9/11 is that 9/11 happened in New York City and, again, I doubt that the majority of New Yorkers today would give a tinker's damn if some buildings in downtown Nashville had been blown up fifteen years ago.  How many New Yorkers do you think are even aware of the terrorist shootings in Chattanooga?  Yes, I realize that not as many people died and no buildings were brought down but this happened last year, not fifteen years ago.  I am not saying 9/11 wasn't a horrible tragedy or that it isn't a 'big deal' - of course it was and is - just trying to throw in a little perspective regarding other tragedies that do not get equal consideration and remembrance probably simply because the location was not 'The Big Apple.'. 

They attacked symbols on 911, not some crappy little government building in OKC. I am not talking about the lives lost. Both events were huge in terms of loss. I'm talking about bashing in the hood of our Corvette (changing the NYC skyline). They were out to destroy American spirit. I think they underestimated our spirit and our response. Good thing it wasn't my finger on the button. I would have busted a couple over Afghanistan THAT DAY, and dared those assholes to fire one round in response. You can bet there was a boomer already sitting in the Indian Ocean.

• Like 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Trade_Center_bombing

The planners of the 9/11 attack were persistent and persevered so when you see 9/11 media coverage remember their was a previous attack which faded from the public eye in a short period of time. And yes, mikegideon is correct, the Twin Towers were selected for their symbolism. It was an attack intended to shock not only the United Sates but to shock the world, I'll not forget the jubilant dancing in the streets by celebrants of a different religion.

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

You misread my comment. I'm not drawing any comparisons between 9/11 and gender issues. I'm making note of outsized reactions to what are really minor offenses. It was a stupid and ill thought out ad, but the wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments that it elicited was borderline hysterical. 

" Damn, you people are sensitive. This has folks here more triggered than a tumblr special snowflake being told that there are only two genders.  "

I suppose you're right. You didn't draw a line between the two, you said it was WORSE than.

I apologize for misrepresenting you.