Glocks & Trijcon's

GlockSpock

It's mostly just a preference thing.

Two separate thoughts. Novak style rear for snag free operation

Or ledge for one hand slide operation.

I prefer a ledge, but have a Novak on my 1911. So I guess that make me a hypocrite. Plus the ledge sights are a better money value IMO.

Far and away, your 1st choice.

- Extra visibility front sight.

- Wide rear notch with U shape.

- "Rack-able" rear sight shape.

I prefer Ameriglo's similar offering due to same quality, cheaper price, and awesome CS (and the "rear sight white rings around the tritium" option).

Trijicon HDs are my 2nd choice and I don't hesitate to recommend them.

Edited by TN-popo
I currently have 2 sets of all-green 3 dot sights, one Ameriglo's and the other Trijicon. I've decided my next set will either have a different color/size for the front or different shape rear. It's possible to have front sight be mistaken for rear sight. Happened to me on a no flashlight dry run through my house in the dark. I was using my laser for illumination and when I opened door and proceeded downstairs my laser was pointing way left, tilted pistol up and noticed my mistake.
I've decided my next set will either have a different color/size for the front or different shape rear. It's possible to have front sight be mistaken for rear sight. Happened to me on a no flashlight dry run through my house in the dark. I was using my laser for illumination and when I opened door and proceeded downstairs my laser was pointing way left, tilted pistol up and noticed my mistake.

This is meant with all respect.

The above is a training issue.

For those that are curious, take your 3-dot tritium, nightsighted pistol to a darkened room and intentionally get a "proper" sight picture with the front sight dot to the left/right of the rear sight dots.

If you can't immediately see how weird that feels, I'd suggest professional instruction or, at a minimum, a lot more dryfire practice.

Edited by TN-popo
I have Tru-Glo TFO 3 green dot on all of my Glocks. Highly recommend these sights. One of the tubes fell out while shooting once and was replaced by TG without much hassle, so thumbs up for customer service from them also.

They look nice, but I have two problems with TFOs.

1.  You mentioned it...their CS might be good, but it seems they're needed way too often.

2.  The fiber optics in the TFOs are more sensitive to chemicals/cleaning products than traditional tritium sights.  This may not be an issue for some, but I use brake cleaner when cleaning my guns and this makes TFOs a no-go.

YMMV

Edited by TN-popo
  • 5 months later...
  • Moderators

Six months ago I went with the GL01's. Well I was shooting yesterday and doing mag change drills. When I do those, I place two rounds in each magazine, and see how quickly I can shoot those two rounds, drop the magazine, reload, and then get back on target. Well, after doing one of the reloads, I bring my gun back to get on target, and I'm missing a front sight! 

Seriously. The front sight was gone. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I didn't bump the sight on anything, I'm sure of that. I believe the bolt that holds the front sight to the slide broke (it seems awfully short now). My gunsmith (who installed the sights) seems to think this is what happened. I will be contacting Trijicon tomorrow.

However, my gunsmith also keeps pushing TFO's. Well, I order everything from Amazon, and he mostly knows that. So it isn't necessarily him trying to sell me the sights, but it is what he recommends. He showed me a G31 with the TFO's on it. They do indeed look very nice. However, I have always been a Trijcon fan. Yet the little bolt sent by Trijicon seemed to have failed when the gun heated. So I am considering purchasing the TFO's and then if I get a replacement from Trijicon, I can sell the GL01's for a few bucks.

But overall I feel Trijicon is better built than the TFO's. However that "feeling" is negated by the fact that the Trijicon's indeed broke!

What do you all think?

I have always been a fan of XS Big Dot sights.  I have them on a couple of pistols, and I think they are a very good sight system for a self defense handgun. 

However, I recently installed a set of Trijicon HD sights on one of my Glocks, and they have quickly become my favorite sights.  I highly recommend them.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

I have always been a fan of XS Big Dot sights.  I have them on a couple of pistols, and I think they are a very good sight system for a self defense handgun. 

However, I recently installed a set of Trijicon HD sights on one of my Glocks, and they have quickly become my favorite sights.  I highly recommend them.

I am interested in the HD's. What makes you like them so much, and have you any experience with the Bright & Tough line? 

I am interested in the HD's. What makes you like them so much, and have you any experience with the Bright & Tough line? 

I like them for the exact reasons that TN-popo stated in his previous post.  So, I will use Todd's points, and just expand on them a little:

- Extra visibility front sight:  Trijicon HD sites come with an all black rear sight, and a large, colored (either yellow or orange) front sight.  This draws your attention to, and makes you focus on, the front sight.  Focusing the front sight enhances your accuracy.  They also have tritium which gives you a standard 3-dot sight picture in low-light / darkness.

- Wide rear notch with U shape:  This allows you a quick visual pick-up of the front sight for faster sight alignment.

- "Rack-able" rear sight shape:  You want a rear sight with a large, flat front edge.  This allows you to snag the rear sight on clothing and rack the slide if you ever need to do a one-handed reload.

Granted, the HD sights are not the only ones out there with these attributes, so shop around and find one you like.  However, I would highly recommend that you get sights that have those features.  Heck, I know guys that run front and rear sights from different manufactures in order to get these features.  Before the Trijicon HD sights came out, I had a friend that used a XS Big Dot front sight, and a 10-8 rear sight.  He has since switched to the HD sights.

I do have a lot of experience with their "Bright &Tough" line, and they are excellent sights if you prefer a more traditional 3-dot sight system,  However, they do not have all the features of the HD line, so they are not a good choice for my needs.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I like them for the exact reasons that TN-popo stated in his previous post.  So, I will use Todd's points, and just expand on them a little:

- Extra visibility front sight:  Trijicon HD sites come with an all black rear sight, and a large, colored (either yellow or orange) front sight.  This draws your attention to, and makes you focus on, the front sight.  Focusing the front sight enhances your accuracy.  They also have tritium which gives you a standard 3-dot sight picture in low-light / darkness.

- Wide rear notch with U shape:  This allows you a quick visual pick-up of the front sight for faster sight alignment.

- "Rack-able" rear sight shape:  You want a rear sight with a large, flat front edge.  This allows you to snag the rear sight on clothing and rack the slide if you ever need to do a one-handed reload.

Granted, the HD sights are not the only ones out there with these attributes, so shop around and find one you like.  However, I would highly recommend that you get sights that have those features.  Heck, I know guys that run front and rear sights from different manufactures in order to get these features.  Before the Trijicon HD sights came out, I had a friend that used a XS Big Dot front sight, and a 10-8 rear sight.  He has since switched to the HD sights.

I do have a lot of experience with their "Bright &Tough" line, and they are excellent sights if you prefer a more traditional 3-dot sight system,  However, they do not have all the features of the HD line, so they are not a good choice for my needs.

Interesting. If you weren't in Nashville, I'd ask to take a look at them. I understand the benefit of having a wider open rear site, but the flip-side to that is it seems more difficult to me to center the front. I guess that's the different between defensive sights and target sights. I will certainly do some more research into them.

• Moderators

I love the idea of the TruGlo TFO's, but I have my reservations about their construction and durability. I've read so many stories about the tubes falling out. If I knew that they would hold up, I'd probably go with them.

I suppose what I'll do is see what Trijicon says tomorrow regarding a replacement. That (money) may be the determining factor!

LOL. I was actually taking a look at their RMR's earlier today. I'd like to try one someday!

If you shoot at Cleveland for IDPA, you can shoot it anytime ya like after the match. I usually have it in my bag to go back on my hip at the end. Just let me know before hand so I don't make it the day I shoot/carry the 1911 LOL.

• Moderators

If you shoot at Cleveland for IDPA, you can shoot it anytime ya like after the match. I usually have it in my bag to go back on my hip at the end. Just let me know before hand so I don't make it the day I shoot/carry the 1911 LOL.

I've been wanting to get down there for IDPA, but I just haven't got around to it yet. I need to...I really need to.

I've had all kinds of pistols with all sorts of sights in all sorts of styles and colors.

Personally, I've continued to use AmeriGlo products and they have kept their illumination longer and have appeared to be more durable than Warren, Trijicon, TruGlow, XS, Mepro's along with some others I've had.

My personal preference is a Green/Green as far as color and I've never had any issues with keeping up with the front sight. The basic style sights like a GL113 is what works for me......

Edited by kwe45919