Safe advice

I work at Academy Sports and in Cool Springs they have a Liberty 18 gun safe on clearance for 399.99 and I'd get 20% off that. Looks like it's a pretty decent safe. It's not on their website but I believe this is the link for it.

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-revolution-safes-ps-23.html

I'll be keeping it in the garage i believe. I'd like to put it in our master closet but she's fighting me on that.

• Like 2

I work at Academy Sports and in Cool Springs they have a Liberty 18 gun safe on clearance for 399.99 and I'd get 20% off that. Looks like it's a pretty decent safe. It's not on their website but I believe this is the link for it.

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-revolution-safes-ps-23.html

I'll be keeping it in the garage i believe. I'd like to put it in our master closet but she's fighting me on that.

get the biggest, heaviest, toughest thing you can afford.   The major brands produce good quality but the price points do mean something -- space, fire resistance, theft deterrence are all going to go up with price (not necessarily linearly, but better is still better here).    Make sure to have some room for a few papers and other valuables.    A good safe can last generations... think of it as a heirloom of sorts as well --  barring someone trying to saw into it or a fire, there is no reason one would not last 500 or more years;  mine is my dad's ... from the 80s, looks like it was bought yesterday (its a liberty).  The one I have is the presidential series, which is still their top line I think -- looks like a good $5k for one these days.   That seems like a lot  --- but in the grand scheme, what would it cost to replace 20 rifles and 10 or more pistols?  At average price of $500, that is ... $10k.   If you have valuables in there, that can double fast with some bling.   Throw in a few irreplaceable items.  Suddenly you are really talking about a 5k one time buy insurance policy on 20, 30K bucks worth of stuff.   Better, some insurance (home) will cut you a small break (yearly) if you own a safe.  Think about it, but my advice is to save up and get a big one.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
I looked at it yesterday (actually looked at it a few days ago if its the same one and was bitching at a manager about a scuff on it to discuss discounts) Here is what I suggest. Buy one that is twice as big as you currently need (by actual size, not what some manufacturer says will fit) then as your collection grows either sell the safe or better use it to store ammo and buy a new safe that you can grow into again. No point in getting a 4k safe with 3k worth of guns. Trust me...especially with the "she" comment. Grow slow. Make a little more $$$ and upgrade. You will finally get her to where I have my wife, saying "Oh hell! Just buy the good one so I dont have this conversation in 18 months!!"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Let me say though, that safe will hold 2 shotguns, 2 rifles, 2 ar's and a few pistols comfortably without scratching the shit out of something. If you are even close to that you should go out to tractor supply when they put their Cannon on sale from 1k to 600 bucks and buy it. My dad has one and it has some room in it. They discount it twice a year. Black friday and fathers day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I went the Canon route.  There is plenty of room in there but I honestly don't think it would take a determined person with a crowbar and a hammer very long to get into it.  That's part of the reason that it did live in the bedroom closet at our last house.  Having the space to offer my wife use of the safe for her valuables didn't hurt on getting it in the closet.  I would really like a Liberty that is the size of my Canon, in the meantime I think the Canon well do fine protecting against smash and grab type burglaries and keeping the little people hands of of the guns.