Rifle Ranges in the K-Town and Maryville area

trentatron

Greetings all! I moved from Oak Ridge to Louisville,TN about three years ago, and can't seem to find any outdoor ranges in Blount county. Over the last few years I haven't had a lot of time to shoot, but I have continued to acquire new rifles. Now I've probably got a dozen rifles I haven't shot, and it just isn't practical for me to drive out to Oak Ridge. Any suggestions for ranges that might be closer to Maryville or Friendsville?

Thanks in advance!

22 minutes ago, peejman said:

You haven't found any because there aren't any....

John Sevier is probably the closest.  Most people I know shoot on private property, unfortunately I don't have any and don't get to shoot my rifles very often either.  

Except for some sort of police managed range in Loudon which I've never gotten the exact dope on, there is to my knowledge only ORSA, John Sever, Norris, and Moose Club outdoor ranges in the area.

I don't know how far in other directions you have to go from your location to find one, though there's a club in Athens I've never seen and a great one in Cleveland which I have.  :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Except for some sort of police managed range in Loudon which I've never gotten the exact dope on,

- OS

The range I go to now is roughly 50 yards off the interstate at the Sugar Limb Rd exit. To join one simply has to visit the LCSD and pay $50 for the full year. There is only one spot for rifles though so only one person can shoot at a time. It's nice for pistols, but not much more.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

Gunny's in Maryville has a 25yd indoor range. 

http://www.thegunny.com/

While they will let you shoot an AR in their range, the ventilation was so bad it was pulling tears and I couldn't hardly see my sight pictures. Not to mention the lights aren't the greatest to begin with. It's better than nothing, but I'm probably done spending much money at Gunny's. 

I guess that leaves Oak Ridge or private property, and based on what you guys are telling me, the 45-60 min drive to Oak Ridge is about as close as it's going to get.

What if I went about this another way...I'd also like to find a place to hunt hogs and coyotes, plus it would probably also serve as a place to plink. I've never done a lot of "big game" hunting. Any suggestions on finding a place to hunt varmints? 

On 11/13/2016 at 0:58 PM, trentatron said:

I guess that leaves Oak Ridge or private property, and based on what you guys are telling me, the 45-60 min drive to Oak Ridge is about as close as it's going to get.

What if I went about this another way...I'd also like to find a place to hunt hogs and coyotes, plus it would probably also serve as a place to plink. I've never done a lot of "big game" hunting. Any suggestions on finding a place to hunt varmints? 

Is a 45-60 min drive that bad?,lots of us drive that long to the range.. I live in East Ridge and drive to Cleveland,takes me about 45 mins depending on which way I go and the traffic.I don't mind it,gives me time to drive the countryside and clear my head.

No it's not THAT bad. When I'm surrounded by acreage in Louisville, Friendsville, Maryville, Greenback, etc... I guess I just can't believe that there aren't any better options.

Hell if someone had the right property close to my house, and similar interests in shooting, I would probably go to some lengths to lay out a really nice range that we could all enjoy. A little fill dirt for a berm and a healthy variety of steel, we'd be good to go!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, et45 said:

Is a 45-60 min drive that bad?,lots of us drive that long to the range.. I live in East Ridge and drive to Cleveland,takes me about 45 mins depending on which way I go and the traffic.I don't mind it,gives me time to drive the countryside and clear my head.

It's right at an hour for me to get to ORSA or Norris, so that's 2 hrs in the car just getting there and back. Add a couple hours at the range itself and that's half a day. I can't think of the last time I had 4 consecutive hours free. 

I've been using Buds for sighting in my rifles, 25 yards, indoors, Range Officer will lend you a chair.

20ish minute from my neighborhood in Seymour

I like the rail system, no bouncing on wires and setting distance is a breeze.

$20/hour

Then outside, I'm pretty well ready to shoot with minor adjustments and have fun.

Outside I'm fortunate to have private property

Maybe this is one of those things we're I'll just have to buy some land and make my own damn range. I know that sounds drastic, but it can't be the only one in Blount county that needs someplace to stretch out their rifles. My wife has said, if we move off the lake it will have to be for acreage, so it's not out of the question. Perhaps a poll is in order, does this forum have that capability?