comcast 1gig speeds for cable customers

Sam1

Well, didn't want to keep waiting forever on Google, so called a few days ago and got an appointment setup for Friday to have Comcast install their Gigabit.

We'll see how it goes. :meh: 

I know Comcast well since I've always been an early adopter of their top tier services. First time they rolled out 50 (or 60 can't recall) meg and then 105 meg, I had issues getting the speed. They eventually had to install all new lines from the pole to my box and inside to get it work at advertised speeds. That took days and multiple techs/installers to get done.

So far it's $70 for 1 Gigabit + $10 a month modem rental for 3 years. Then you got to add all the taxes. The install is free.

Not bad considering when 105 Mbps came out and I got it, it was $199 a month if I recall + modem, etc. 

Well, after about a total of 2.5 hours on the phone with them I am now $15 dollars higher than I was monthly.  It seems they won't budge on the little boxes on each TV going from $3 to $5 rent a month.  The only reason those ever came into existence was because Congress refused to allow them to charge for the number of televisions in each household so a year later they suddenly have the need for converters, which of course are rented and you need one for each additional TV.  Tax increases, " maintaining the sky blue and water wet" fees, etc.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Well, didn't want to keep waiting forever on Google, so called a few days ago and got an appointment setup for Friday to have Comcast install their Gigabit.

We'll see how it goes. :meh: 

I know Comcast well since I've always been an early adopter of their top tier services. First time they rolled out 50 (or 60 can't recall) meg and then 105 meg, I had issues getting the speed. They eventually had to install all new lines from the pole to my box and inside to get it work at advertised speeds. That took days and multiple techs/installers to get done.

So far it's $70 for 1 Gigabit + $10 a month modem rental for 3 years. Then you got to add all the taxes. The install is free.

Not bad considering when 105 Mbps came out and I got it, it was $199 a month if I recall + modem, etc. 

I found out that you can buy your own modem, it just has to support docsis 3.1.  Going to let them get the issues ironed out before I buy one though.

I found out that you can buy your own modem, it just has to support docsis 3.1.  Going to let them get the issues ironed out before I buy one though.

I've always owned my own modem. Prepare for them to blame it on every call. I've heard that a law us also being passed to disallows Comcast from forcing you to use their tuner/dvr. I'm OK with this because frankly it's complete BS that you have to rent the #### in the first place. It's also BS that every bill has a couple dollar "local ppv fee", a broadcast fee and an HD tech fee....with does that even mean?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've always owned my own modem. Prepare for them to blame it on every call. I've heard that a law us also being passed to disallows Comcast from forcing you to use their tuner/dvr. I'm OK with this because frankly it's complete BS that you have to rent the #### in the first place. It's also BS that every bill has a couple dollar "local ppv fee", a broadcast fee and an HD tech fee....with does that even mean?

Apologies. Taptalk/Samsung made this read like I was having a stroke while I wrote it....

• Like 1
Just now, NoBanStan said:

That's not bad but the upload is very disappointing.

I asked and the tech said they're already testing their 2 Gigabit up.

They have fiber run to a point.

The way he put it, it won't be long and it'll be 100% fiber to you modem.

I suppose when they do that, the upload speeds will go up to where they should be.

But I'm happy with this for $80 + tax for now.  

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I asked and the tech said they're already testing their 2 Gigabit up.

They have fiber run to a point.

The way he put it, it won't be long and it'll be 100% fiber to you modem.

I suppose when they do that, the upload speeds will go up to where they should be.

But I'm happy with this for $80 + tax for now.  

is that a promo/prelim price?

On 1/13/2017 at 11:22 AM, NoBanStan said:

is that a promo/prelim price?

It's what they've been offering on their website. 

$70 1 Gigabit $10 rental for router and modem, and then taxes.

It'll be $80 something after taxes. 

Edited by JohnC
1 hour ago, JohnC said:

5964135021.png

speedtest2.jpg

They came and installed this morning.... 

Mine is still jacked up two ways from sunday.  they have techs out there now trying to track down the problem.

5964468639.png

As a comparison, I was running about a 10ms ping and 280-300mb with the same upload, before the "upgrade"

Edited by Sam1
On 1/13/2017 at 0:11 PM, Sam1 said:

Mine is still jacked up two ways from sunday.  they have techs out there now trying to track down the problem.

5964468639.png

As a comparison, I was running about a 10ms ping and 280-300mb with the same upload, before the "upgrade"

I had issues when I first got 105 Mbps (not here). Turns out the lines were a bit old, so they had to replace all the line off the pole all the way to my modem.

Edited by JohnC
3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I had issues when I first got 105 Mbps (not here). Turns out the lines were a nit old, so they had to replace all the line off the pole all the way to my modem.

Yeah, I'm assuming it's either that or something on the infrastructure side beyond the pole.  The problem is, all of our cabling is underground (and under a driveway) and the guy a couple days ago wasn't even entertaining the consideration for running a new line.

Could be a trap somewhere along the lines as well, but the original installer was having nothing to do with anything other than hooking up a modem and leaving.

Edited by Sam1

That's their way to introduce doubt that it is your system and not their service when you don't get the advertised speeds.  They tried to blame all three of my computers too, because the tech doesn't know any different.  However, all of my computers have the fastest SSDs you can put in them, quad core i7's (one is a quad core mobile cpu) with 16gb of ddr3 ram, even had OSX, windows 10 and windows 7.  The specs of the computers have less to do with bandwidth than they want people to believe.  The tech here was so ignorant about computers, he argued that my Mac Mini was an Apple Airport router and not a computer.

• Like 1

lol.. now comcast is saying that you are not allowed to have gigabit service and cable tv on the same account because you will not get the advertised speeds.  Will keep updating here for the good laughs.

• Like 2

Well considering I am computer illterate for the most part most of this thread is greek to me. I use an old desk top computer that a buddy of mine built for me about 3 years ago and he recomended I sign up wit AT&T for my internet service so I went to AT&T store and ask them what they would recomend for what I was wanting to do. I told them I wanted  to be able to surf the web and get on sites like TGO and do other things. The AT&T rep suggested I sign up for Go Phone service with them. I  did and paid 105.00 for the equipment to plug into my tower and I got 5 GB of service for $50.00 a month and I am on the computer and on line doing everything I want to do and have never ran 5GB's yet. I just looked at how much I have used this month and it renews in 6 days and I still have only use 3.7GB. I have never had an issues in almost 3 years.

Now as far as Comcast. I do have TV service with them and I have 3TV's. One has the big box. 1 has the small box and the other one is on a splitter and what ever is on the main TV is also on the Splitter TV so I can watch what ever I want on my Digital Starter package. Pretty much everything I want to watch. Now I do have to fight with them every year when I get my price increase. I was paying $81.50 for the last year. Got my new bill and they went up to $88.75. I was on the phone and talking with a rep about the increase. When I got off the phone My bill was credited bakc to $81.50 and for the next year it will be $76.97. She put me on another Promotional package for another year. The secret to fighting them is to by-pass the regular customer service clowns and go directly to the people that have to clout to actually do things.. When I call, if I get a person that does not speak clear english I request a person that speaks clear english and I am transfered to what they call the Retention department. They are the ones with the clout. I will post the number below that will connect you drectly wih the retention representatives. Lady I ended up speaking with was located in Michigan.

See number  1-800-934-6489. If you get anyone that does not speak english request one and they will put you with someone that can actually help solve your problems...............hope this helps.

21 hours ago, NextExit said:

Found out you can't get a gig on just any old computer.  Here's a C/P from the Xfinity site:

Screen_Shot_2017_01_13_at_6_23_25_PM.png

It needs to have a least a 1GB NIC, 10GB if you're trying to for a 2gb pipe. The sections about windows 10, solid state and an i7 is complete hogwash however. That's probably the minimum they will support, otherwise they'll blame your equipment for not handling their "blistering speeds"