comcast 1gig speeds for cable customers

Sam1

signed up a few weeks ago for the comcast 1gb internet notification thing, they called today and said they were pushing it out.  Only $20/more than I was paying for the 300mb package.  Downside is they require you to use their modem even if yours supports the speeds.

thought I would share for those of you looking to get some faster interwebs speeds.  Initially I thought the 1gig package was only for fiber, but it is for baseband customers, fiber is a completely different offering (which I would rather have but it won't be in my area for probably 20 years).

1 hour ago, Sam1 said:

signed up a few weeks ago for the comcast 1gb internet notification thing, they called today and said they were pushing it out.  Only $20/more than I was paying for the 300mb package.  Downside is they require you to use their modem even if yours supports the speeds.

thought I would share for those of you looking to get some faster interwebs speeds.  Initially I thought the 1gig package was only for fiber, but it is for baseband customers, fiber is a completely different offering (which I would rather have but it won't be in my area for probably 20 years).

Ha, I am on 12 mbs U-Verse but am moving to a a house that offers at least 60 mbs Charter. I think for the time being I will be happy with 60mbs for $40/month. 7 MB a sec is fast when I remember dial up and T1's (1.5 mbs)

1 minute ago, macville said:

Ha, I am on 12 mbs U-Verse but am moving to a a house that offers at least 60 mbs Charter. I think for the time being I will be happy with 60mbs for $40/month. 7 MB a sec is fast when I remember dial up and T1's (1.5 mbs)

ah yeah I remember when we went from dial up to a bonded ISDN at a whopping 256k in Germany... that was the tits!

4 hours ago, Sam1 said:

did they remove the bandwith caps on residential accts? If not it just means I would hit the cap in 1/4 the time. :/

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Sam1 said:

ah yeah I remember when we went from dial up to a bonded ISDN at a whopping 256k in Germany... that was the tits!

Not as exciting as going from 300bps to 2400bps! And when the 9600bps modem was affordable, it blew our minds!

1Gbps.... bah... that's data gluttony!

8 hours ago, 2.ooohhh said:

did they remove the bandwith caps on residential accts? If not it just means I would hit the cap in 1/4 the time. :/

Not sure if it was a blanket removal for all options, but the rep did say there is no cap on this one.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Obiwan said:

Not as exciting as going from 300bps to 2400bps! And when the 9600bps modem was affordable, it blew our minds!

1Gbps.... bah... that's data gluttony!

I can remember editing the parameters and upping my internet speeds by a whopping 50%, that took me from 4kbps to 6 kbps. I remember starting a 1 meg downloads at night so it would be done in the morning, unless someone called then you had to wait another night. I thought I was in high cotton with I got my first US Robotics 33.6 modem, invited friends over to see the awesome speeds I was getting.

• Like 4

I worked for a company where we connected to customer's PCs with a 14.4 modem and a DOS program called Closeup. It would take hours just to get the tiny data backup file transfered so we could troubleshoot their issue. We would often give up and just have them mail us a floppy copy of it. Those were the days. Lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrJones79 said:

I wish Comcast would put out a damn 4K set top box. Got all these nice TVs becoming affordable now and content in 4K is becoming more available by the day

Considering that comcast launched their new tv go website this fall and it was a huge step backwards, I wouldn't plan on it anytime soon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they just release a new box that returns to 4:3 standard def and they call it an upgrade!

• Like 1
Considering that comcast launched their new tv go website this fall and it was a huge step backwards, I wouldn't plan on it anytime soon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they just release a new box that returns to 4:3 standard def and they call it an upgrade!

Definitely not holding breath. They promised one last year and never delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm ok with 1080p on the x1... tv does 4k, but considering I went a full year and just realized the x1 was defaulted on 720p (realized this two weeks ago), I'll be content for some time on 1080 lol

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, tacops said:

Just opened my Comcast bill and found it was $130 higher than normal and we have made no changes or add ons.  :mad:

Sounds like your promo rate expired.  They give you no warning when that's coming up, but if you look at it, it should be for services in the future you're pre-paying for.  I'd decide if it's worth it, and at least call to re-negotiate the rate.

• Like 1

At first glance it appears that they have added a charge for an additional HD box that I don't have and never have had, increased the "rental" charge for each little box at each tv by $2, raised the sports package by $10, increased the "bundle" by $50, etc...   I guess I will make a pot of coffee, take a few deep breaths to get my "Chi" on and give them a call...this may take a while.  I wish I could find a better option than Comcast in Roane County, I would dump them like a hot tater.  I would anyway except my family would mutiny.

38 minutes ago, tacops said:

At first glance it appears that they have added a charge for an additional HD box that I don't have and never have had, increased the "rental" charge for each little box at each tv by $2, raised the sports package by $10, increased the "bundle" by $50, etc...   I guess I will make a pot of coffee, take a few deep breaths to get my "Chi" on and give them a call...this may take a while.  I wish I could find a better option than Comcast in Roane County, I would dump them like a hot tater.  I would anyway except my family would mutiny.

The HD box is either an honest error or them sneaking something in.  The rental charge uptick seems like a new year thing, not pleasant, but not unprecedented either.  The increases in the sports package and bundle are your promo rate expiring, or the prices for that package going up with the new year.  Compare the current bill to your last one (should still be online in an accessible format) and see what's changed.  Usually they charge the normal amount, then put in a rebate for the promo on the bill that gets it to the discount number. 

When you call, set aside about an hour, and just be a polite but intractable force until the first or second tier customer service rep has to farm you off to the department that has the authority to change your rates.  When I do it, I tell them I have a fixed budget, and only have $xx.xx allocated for cable and internet, so they need to find me something in that rate.  We go back and forth with them proposing "deals" and my rejecting them until there is something I can work with. 

Also, with AT&T in my area, I cal tell them that I also have a minimum services need and I'll have to switch providers if they can't meet that.  Not sure if you have that bargaining chip.  Either way, just be the person who won't hang up until you have an answer from someone, even if that means getting another number to call or being transfered.  Also, might have to wait until normal hours on Monday to get a resolution, but you can start today to feel your way out.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have been with comcast for years and have had to do the dance several times over billing inconsistencies.  Seems like occasionally the "errors" would fall my way, but that doesn't happen.  I didn't think about waiting until Monday.  That is a good idea for decision makers may not be available during the weekends.  Thanks again for tolerating my semi-rant and offering suggestions.

On 1/4/2017 at 3:48 PM, Sam1 said:

Maybe dumb question but what does 1,024 mb do that 300 mb doesn't?   We have 10-20 mb and stream video and everything else we want/need to do.  Not sure I understand the hype of all the 1 gig providers?

31 minutes ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Maybe dumb question but what does 1,024 mb do that 300 mb doesn't?   We have 10-20 mb and stream video and everything else we want/need to do.  Not sure I understand the hype of all the 1 gig providers?

Purely is about how much you can do at once. I have over 10 wireless devices in my household and with kids they can suck up pretty much all you can get.

It is hype for the average household but as more things are connected, it gets closer to being neccesary. It should not be as expensive as it is though. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

• Like 2
Just now, bud said:

lol "honest error".

Comcast makes Wells Fargo look like a middle school bubble gum thief.

Too bad there will never be suit and substantial settlement, because Comcast is the government.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to the monthly revenue generated by these possible "honest errors"?

Out of 23 million customers, if 1% per month experience these convenient, accidental charges x $10 bucks a pop...

I love how they charge us fees to recoup fees they pay. I thought that was overhead and you took it out of the regular monthly charges. I am sure they charge a little extra too.

By the way, your answer is 2.3 million a month. 

I have tried to find other options in my area, but the DSL is questionable and no one  else serves my street.