Question about crossbows....

I live very close, like 2 to 10 miles, from several TWRA hunting opportunities that require archery only to deer hunt. These areas are open on Tues. Thur. and Sat. only, but I'm good with that since I'm retired. :dirty:  Anyways.....it's archery only for deer and I'm wanting to know a bit about crossbows. I've never owned any kind of archery equipment and I"m on a pretty tight budget. I know someone that hunts on these areas and they say it's not hard to get shots as close as 20 to 40 feet from a ground blind. I'm thinking about springing for a crossbow if I could get one cheap enough. Say in the 200 range already geared up. I see some at times on CL, and I've looked at them on Amazon, but I don't know a thing about them as I said. Can anyone tell me what to stay away from? I've been looking for a re-curve instead of a compound due to the much stated simplicity and much less maintenance required, but for some reason they seem to shoot slower and cost more. :confused:  Most probably due to the less maintenance perhaps? If some of you could point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged. 

I don't know a lot about crossbows specifically. In general, I'd be wary of a used bow of any sort, especially purchased from a random person on Craigslist.  

I will 2nd this, limb crack, string bad and first pull could be your last. I too have been thinking about a cross bow(bad shoulder) but like the OP not wanting to speed more than a few hundred on a good set up.

• Like 1

I use to know a guy that made Crossbows and was very good at it and made some great bows. I will check and see if he is still making them. He was actually well know back years ago for introducing crossbows with Aluminum Bows that you never had to worry about cracking. They would sent an arrow down range really fast and were a lot quieter than the wooden version. Have not spoke with him in about 5 years but I do know where he lives so might just pay him a visit. 

• Like 1

I don't know a lot about crossbows specifically. In general, I'd be wary of a used bow of any sort, especially purchased from a random person on Craigslist.  

Thank you sir.  That's what I mean about my lack of archery knowledge. LOL. I thought they were pretty tough but I do see what you mean.

I've been eying them up as well. I have two friends with recurve crossbows and after trying to get my never used by me compound bow restrung, the $ involved for a custom made string isn't worth it, might as well buy a new bow. 

It has me looking at a recurve as well. 

From what I understand, some crossbows are too powerful for close shots, the bolt can just pass through. A recurve will have enough power without the overkill. 

Used archery equipment can be a risk for sure, I think you'll be able to find something new in your budget if you are patient and don't need the latest and greatest. 

I'll let you know if I find something that fits your and my bill. 

• Like 1

I use to know a guy that made Crossbows and was very good at it and made some great bows. I will check and see if he is still making them. He was actually well know back years ago for introducing crossbows with Aluminum Bows that you never had to worry about cracking. They would sent an arrow down range really fast and were a lot quieter than the wooden version. Have not spoke with him in about 5 years but I do know where he lives so might just pay him a visit. 

Awesome Bersa! Maybe they'll be affordable too...LOL!!

I've been eying them up as well. I have two friends with recurve crossbows and after trying to get my never used by me compound bow restrung, the $ involved for a custom made string isn't worth it, might as well buy a new bow. 

It has me looking at a recurve as well. 

From what I understand, some crossbows are too powerful for close shots, the bolt can just pass through. A recurve will have enough power without the overkill. 

Used archery equipment can be a risk for sure, I think you'll be able to find something new in your budget if you are patient and don't need the latest and greatest. 

I'll let you know if I find something that fits your and my bill. 

Thanks! I'll do the same if I find something. One thing though. I thought the bolt was supposed to shoot through the deer. Why would this not be desirable? 

A pass thru is desirable.  More damage and easier for them to bleed out.  An arrow that goes half way in and stays effectively seals the wound and it takes a  lot longer for the deer to bleed out.  They can cover a lot of distance with the extra time.  

• Like 6

A pass thru is desirable.  More damage and easier for them to bleed out.  An arrow that goes half way in and stays effectively seals the wound and it takes a  lot longer for the deer to bleed out.  They can cover a lot of distance with the extra time.  

Thanks Kahrman. That makes sense. I know shot placement would mean a lot for that to happen. What would be a minimum draw weight for a crossbow in your opinion?

150lb but 180 is probably better.  The distance the strings travels on a crossbow is generally about half the distance of a compound.  So 150lb - 180lb crossbow equates to a 60lb - 75lb compound bow.  

Just like with anything you can spend as much as you want.  Most hunting crossbows are going to start more than $200.  The cheapest hunting crossbow I saw at bass pro was $279.  Most starter packages were in the 399-499 range.  You have plenty of time before next season so I am sure you can find a good deal if you search around.

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1

Kahrman is right on!! you want to bolt to pass through while doing as much damage as it can. My friend I spoke  ofuse to send a supply of Bolts with his bows and also one new string replacement. He has one broadhead he recomends very highly to use with his bows. I just hope he is still making bows. Been about 5 years like I said since i spoke with him.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

There is one other thing to consider and that is cocking the crossbow.  180lb crossbow is no problem for a young strong man to cock.  For me, not so easy.  So I went with a Ten Point crossbow that had a crank cocking assist.  Makes cocking the crossbow very easy.  The only problem is they are not cheap add ons or the bows with them built in are fairly expensive.  

• Like 2

I've never owned any kind of archery equipment and I"m on a pretty tight budget. 

I have never owned a cross bow, but I have owned recurves and compounds. I don’t hunt but the let off of a compound is going to let you “hold” for that perfect shot longer. That recurve is going to make you want to let it go. You might want to try all three types before making a purchase. Maybe someone close to you can help you out.

It’s been a few years since I was involved so I don’t know what the pricing is. There are some good archery forums and there is also a good one here in Tennessee. My last bow was made by High Country Archery made in your city; might want to check them out...since you are close.

Good luck with your new interest.

• Like 1

I have never owned a cross bow, but I have owned recurves and compounds. I don’t hunt but the let off of a compound is going to let you “hold” for that perfect shot longer. That recurve is going to make you want to let it go. You might want to try all three types before making a purchase. Maybe someone close to you can help you out.

It’s been a few years since I was involved so I don’t know what the pricing is. There are some good archery forums and there is also a good one here in Tennessee. My last bow was made by High Country Archery made in your city; might want to check them out...since you are close.

Good luck with your new interest.

Thank you Dave. I'll definitely be buying a crossbow. I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and can't shoot a traditional bow at all. I've heard of high country archery. I think they are located in Dunlap Tn right across the mountain from me.

Aluminum absolutely will crack.  The crack might be a little more obvious than a composite bow before it goes bang, but they will crack. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

Aluminum absolutely will crack.  The crack might be a little more obvious than a composite bow before it goes bang, but they will crack. 

+1, yea they are subject to break also, just not quite as often and you are correct about the crack being more pronounced and easier to see for sure

Edited by bersaguy
Great resource. Thank you sir.

Barnett makes pretty good quality crossbows. I have been using one the past few seasons. It's been pretty solid and no issues. Cocking it does take some upper body strength so I would recommend one of the assistants that you can add on into the stock of the crossbow. Plus that way if you forgot your crossbow cocker when out in the field it's not an issue. Some come with decent optics and some not. Looking to change out my crosshair optic with a red dot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion as I welcome them for sure. I've decided on a re-curve and have been looking at those and SA Sports both and others. I think about $250 is going to be my limit. I know re-curves are harder to cock, but I've tried a friends and it wasn't that bad. I'll be getting a string cocker for whatever I buy for sure. I also have a really nice red dot sight I've had several years that I could put on it. I'm going to bid my time and wait on a deal that's for sure. 

• Like 1

I've hunted with Excalibur Matrix crossbows for about five years now. I can't recommend them enough. They are simple, easy to maintain and shoot groups at 40 yds w/ the bolts touching each other. They aren't cheap but are worth every penny.