AR-Stoner AR-15 Optics Ready Upper Receiver Assembly

xsubsailor

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Omega said:

Meh, irons are over rated for my old eyes. I run optics on just about all my rifles so no need for a front sight.  As a matter of fact, I avoid ARs with the old front and carry handle sight.

I'm past 60, but no way I'll trust a powered optic without irons backing it up. I can still hit something with irons. My truck gun even has just a military irons. I can't shoot very far with them, but they're good enough for truck gunnery. Magnified optics are different. I don't put irons on those guns.

11 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I'm past 60, but no way I'll trust a powered optic without irons backing it up. I can still hit something with irons. My truck gun even has just a military irons. I can't shoot very far with them, but they're good enough for truck gunnery. Magnified optics are different. I don't put irons on those guns.

Thing is, what would it have cost in bulk, adding maybe a quarter or something? I mean, being able to use iron sights is a pretty basic AR15 spec. Matter of fact, this may the first one I've ever seen that didn't come with either a front sight or a way to attach one.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
5 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Not talking red dot here, just plain ole 3-9×40. For years I used see-through scope rings thinking I may need my irons.  You know what, only once has a scope failed on me, and I didn't see any deer that day.

45 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Thing is, what would it have cost in bulk, adding maybe a quarter or something? I mean, being able to use iron sights is a pretty basic AR15 spec. Matter of fact, this may the first one I've ever seen that didn't come with either a front sight or a way to attach one.

- OS

They weren't thinking. When it comes to an A2 front sight, those actually cost money. I had to pay Adco to put one on a stripped BCM barrel in my A2 rifle build. It was expensive. If they wanted to save, they should have done as you suggested and installed a railed block.

45 minutes ago, Omega said:

Not talking red dot here, just plain ole 3-9×40. For years I used see-through scope rings thinking I may need my irons.  You know what, only once has a scope failed on me, and I didn't see any deer that day.

Yeah. Regular scopes never break. I never put backups in those guns. The only red dot (mine) I would even think about using without backups would be my Aimpoint.

At that price point it is meant more of a fun plinker I am sure. If you want a gun that you can trust you better plan on spending a little more and it will have the features you want for backup sights. Proper tool for the job and all that! 

As far as price goes I am sure it would be a good little truck gun or cabin gun. Not out a bunch if someone steals it, and it wil liklely go bang and do what I need when I need it.