Revolvers? Anyone carry them?

moondawg

Anyone still carry revolvers in this day and age? :)

I'm thinking of getting a revolver, I've always enjoyed shooting them. I am leaning heavily towards the Ruger SP101, but will also consider the S&W 642 and 640. I am leaning towards the .357 mag--I know the 642 is .38 only.

What is the SP101 like shooting 357 mags through it? Brutal?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, its not that bad definately no worse than an ultralight firing 38s i love the sp101 they are great i currently do not own one though, but i shoot one of my brothers every chance i get.

What is the SP101 like shooting 357 mags through it? Brutal?

Nah. Just feels good and solid.

Outstanding stock grip. A lot of people change it, but it's a GREAT blend of impact absorbing + concealability.

.38 through it is like a .22

- OS

Guest flyfishtn

I carry a 642 with Speer Gold Dot +P when I want to go ultralight or deep concealment is necessary. With my Aholster, it disappears.

Shooting it with the +P load is snappy but very accurate and manageable.

Not as a primary, that is what the XD40 is for. No matter how deep I need to be, it is there and ready thanks to the CTAC IWB holster.

BUG is a Rossi .38 (J frame copy)

I am leaning heavily towards the Ruger SP101, but will also consider the S&W 642 and 640.

I have both and carry them regularly. There is a 12oz difference in weight...which is pretty significant.

The recoil difference in the 42 with +P vs. a SP101 with full snort 357 mags IS quite different, but with practice they handle about the same with respect to follow up shots.

It is much easier to shoot the SP101 accurately...thus it is much more fun to take it to the range. You can own anything under 30 yards. The 42 is not as much fun so you will actually shoot it a bit less.

The difference in size is actually very little. They both can use the same holsters (that is if you get the short barrel SP101) and can both be used for pocket carry. I personally find the SP101 a bit heavy for my pockets so I carry it with an IWB holster during winter months and the 442 every other time.

Hope this helps. The only other difference is price. The SP is MUCH more solid of a gun and would not bat an eye to purchase used. Don't know if I would buy a used 42.

Guest wyndwalker

I carry nothing but revolvers, never had one fail to feed, jam, or malfunction in any way. my buddy carries a glock swears by it, carries two extra mags. I told him if I need 40 rounds in a fire fight I am basically screwed to begin with. I carry a Ruger Security Six, they are easy to feild strip and clean. 38+P does not give the antisipation of recoil that the 357 tends to give some people. I think you will like the SP101 Wyndwalker

I have seen on catastrophic failure, and 2 non catastrophic failures (unless you were in a gun fight. The first one was a squib with a 2nd round behind it...yep. Saw an "almost" squib, he didn't feel right and looked. I then saw on one the shell extractor get on the wrong side of an empty casing...still not sure how that happened. I have also seen the cylinder not close properly.

I say this as a word of caution, I have read, heard so much about revolvers are fail safe, they are not. They still need to be properly maintained.

Guest Astra900

SP101 140 Hornady XTP .357

Everyday. I have a little pouch w/ a speed loader, I carry should I need to leave home. It's very accurate and loads of fun to shoot. Recoil from .357 is not wimpy, but it's very manageable. The noise on the other hand...:tinfoil: Let's just say the report will act as a good flash bang in tight quarters.:devil:

I carry 640 with ctc sights in kramer pocket holster. Some nights I have to move trucks around in not the best side of town for hour or so, easy to slip into back pocket for carry while working lays next to me under baseball cap in car. I perfer my sig P245 but the 640 is more practical for this.

Edited by laktrash

The SP101 is an awesome pistol. Built like a tank. I carried one for a couple years and then switched. Hammerless 2 or 2 1/2" barrelled version.

As previously stated it is accurate. Surprisingly so. The recoil is not that bad. If you are coming from shooting 9mm autos, then it may take you some getting used to.

Likes: good gun, smooth stock trigger, built very well, accurate.

dislikes: added weight, stock grip sucks IMO

I was torn between the sp101 and a smith 642. Best friend desided to part with an sp101 at a good price so I could not pass it up. I do still want to buy the smith. I think the lighter weight of the gun and ammo would be the biggest plus. You cannot pocket carry the sp101 (at least i couldnt). I 95% carry IWB and got tired of the cylinder against my side, wanted a slimmer carry piece, so I went back to an Auto. The grip of the sp101 disappears against your size, but you do get quite a buldge from it because of the cylinder.

I seem to change carry weapons every couple of years. Buy both, and decide for yourself. :tinfoil:

As soon as I get the extra cash I'm gonna pick up another Taurus .38 snubbie, but I want it to be an airweight hammerless. Carry it as a BUG on my ankle or as a primary during the summer when it's blazing hot.

I subscribe to the Max Payne carry method. Unload primary weapon at target, drop to floor, fire 5 shots from snubbie (while still in the ankle holster) to finish the job. :tinfoil:

Anyone still carry revolvers in this day and age? :)

I'm thinking of getting a revolver, I've always enjoyed shooting them. I am leaning heavily towards the Ruger SP101, but will also consider the S&W 642 and 640. I am leaning towards the .357 mag--I know the 642 is .38 only.

I'd encourage you to think about how and where you might carry the revolver, since that will probably dictate what is most important for you.

Personally, I went with the 642 because I was looking for a gun that would expand my carry options for times when a larger, heavier gun wouldn't do. I wanted the option of being able to ankle carry or pocket carry for deep concealment or as a backup. The 642 offers that. Also, I feel more confident shooting 38+p than I would 357 out of a gun this light.

Edited by Buzz