Revolvers? Anyone carry them?

moondawg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has a 642 that she carries when shopping, jogging, etc. I borrow it now and then when I want something lighter than my usual G26 or especially lighter and smaller than my G17. We have a High Noon pocket holster we both will use with the 642. Nice little weapon, considerably lighter than the G26, and the roundness makes it easy to retrieve and handle.

When my HCP arrives I will have a revolver as a car gun and I will sometimes carry it depending on the situation.

Colt King Cobra 4" barrel, loaded with .38SP HP.

Right now it's a dresser gun and I want it accessible to the wife. She doesn't even like the .38's. I imagine as I get more comfortable with carrying, or when I can convince her to carry herself, then I will move on up to the .357.

I liked the Ruger Sp101, it was a fun gun to shoot. I only shot the .38s and it wasn't bad at all. It is a bit heavy for pocket carry, so I'd carry it in a holster.

I've never shot an ultralight revolver before. The I understand it, the ultralights are something that's easy to carry, but not as easy to shoot. I think I'd rather find a way to deal with the weight and get something that I'd enjoy shooting.

I like my XD and I like the semi-autos. But for some reason, I just find revolvers more fun to shoot. :rofl:

I have seen on catastrophic failure, and 2 non catastrophic failures (unless you were in a gun fight. The first one was a squib with a 2nd round behind it...yep. Saw an "almost" squib, he didn't feel right and looked. I then saw on one the shell extractor get on the wrong side of an empty casing...still not sure how that happened. I have also seen the cylinder not close properly.

I say this as a word of caution, I have read, heard so much about revolvers are fail safe, they are not. They still need to be properly maintained.

+1

I had a Taurus Model 85 Ultra-Lite that basically locked up from being dirty. They cylinder would barely move. The gun only had ~200 rounds through it since the last cleaning. I would carry a dirty Glock with 1000 rounds through it before carrying a revolver w/ 200. Revolvers are not totally malfunction-proof. I am not berserk about their longer trigger pulls, either. I sometimes shortstroke DA revolvers when shooting in a hurry. Pull the trigger five times, and fire three shots. :eek:

That said, I like pocket carrying my new Smith 442 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster as a BUG. My wife says that it's hers after she has the baby. We'll see. :up:

When my HCP arrives I will have a revolver as a car gun and I will sometimes carry it depending on the situation.

Colt King Cobra 4" barrel, loaded with .38SP HP.

.38?

Man up and shoot what that gun wants!

- OS

Of course, the FBI carried their .357s with .38 Special 158-grain LSW-HP +P as well. Much more manageable under recoil, less risk of over-penetration, etc. And, unless one has a six-inch (or longer) barrel, one is probably sending a fair amount of unburnt powder into the air, too. OMO, YMMV. :cool:

honestly, its not that bad definately no worse than an ultralight firing 38s i love the sp101 they are great i currently do not own one though, but i shoot one of my brothers every chance i get.

Not trying to interfere, being the NG and all, but won't you run out of brothers at that rate?:poop:

Just kidd'n

Used to have an sp101. Very pleasant to shoot with either 38s or full house 357s. Let that one get away during my foolish days.

I've never shot an ultralight revolver before. The I understand it, the ultralights are something that's easy to carry, but not as easy to shoot. I think I'd rather find a way to deal with the weight and get something that I'd enjoy shooting.

my 642 is DEAD accurate, it is scary the groups I was able to get with it at 7-10 yards. The trick was proper staging of the trigger. It is fun to shoot once you get good at the trigger, or at least it was for me.

Guest truthsayer
my 642 is DEAD accurate, it is scary the groups I was able to get with it at 7-10 yards. The trick was proper staging of the trigger. It is fun to shoot once you get good at the trigger, or at least it was for me.

I've read quite a bit about DAO shooting and have taken training with revolvers. In every instance, staging was discouraged in favor of the "steady sight, moving trigger." Staging is helpful on the range for someone that practices the technique, but isn't really favored or taught as a legitimate combat technique by any of the wheelgun gurus/instructors I came across. My $.02.

oh no, I wouldn't use it as a defense method it's too tedious, I was just saying that it makes it more fun as a target gun. Ive found it is a good tool to help with trigger control though, because to stage it you have to pull the trigger. If you can do so while keeping the target in the sight picture it makes it much easier to get used to the full range of the trigger.

I haven't carried a revolver in over 30 years, I just prefer autos. My daughter got a Taurus 605 for an early Christmas present and I carried it for a week or so in a IWB holster she got from Don Hume. I could never get used to the bulk of it. My other daughter got a Taurus P145 for Christmas so I carried it for a week in the same style holster. I couldn't get used to that one either. I mostly stick with Glock & Kahr .40's. (or a SS Series 70 .45 Colt if I want style points...) I think it probably mostly has a lot to do do with what you are used to carrying. I've seen a new model hammerless S&W .38 snubby I'd like to try when I get the chance. Good for pocket carry since no hammer usually equals no snag.

Cherokee Slim

Not trying to interfere, being the NG and all, but won't you run out of brothers at that rate?:poop:

Just kidd'n

Used to have an sp101. Very pleasant to shoot with either 38s or full house 357s. Let that one get away during my foolish days.

o i have plenty of older brothers they are worn out anyway target practice is all they are good for.:D:D the truth though, they all believe in revolvers they will not even touch a auto not even in a rifle they say an auto is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I tend to agree. I have been through several AR's and have gotten rid of them all. Most of my friends love them, but I just could not get myself to completely trust them, even while hunting. Just personal preference, I know, but I want to be comfortable with what I'm carrying. So I'm back to packin' my bolt guns or lever guns in the woods now. No worries!

I'm issued a glock 23 and a bushmaster carbine at work, along with a 38 snub and a mossberg 590. You can guess which 2 I really trust. My chief knows I'd carry a good 357 mag for primary duty if he'd let me get away with it. I do have a sig220 that I really enjoy, but I am looking for a Smith or preferrably a Ruger 357 4" if ya'll know anyone looking to sell one.

I EDC a 642 in hot weather/640 with .38 Specials rest of the time. l fired .357 Mag from 640 in indoor range one time. Nobody has to stay stupid! Noisy, fireball and hurt wrist! If you want .357 go to Ruger SP101 or S&W 686 and belt carry. If the K-Frames couldn't handle .357 on a everyday basis I have a hard time believing the J-Frames can . New ones weigh 2 ounces more than old (.38) ones. I don't believe they can beef a revolver up that much with 2 ounces more metal! I love the .357 but IMHO it is meant for a service sized pistol with at least a 4" barrel..

Little guys (snubbies) take a whole lot more practice. Practice once a month doesn't get it!

I read something on here about the older model 19 K frames not being quite strong enough to handle a steady diet of full house 357. Did Smith correct or improve this in later years? What about Smith's model 66 and the metallurgy on that one? Is it strong enough? I'm steadily looking for a good 357. Or a good pair of them. I really prefer a Ruger. I'm thinking about bidding on an SP101 on one of the auction sites, but I do like the Smiths too. I'm going Monday to look at a Smith 586 with a 6" barrel. But I want to get away from carrying the department's G23 off duty, 'cause I'd REALLY rather be packin' a revolver! So I'll need one a little more compact than that 586, something with the 2.5 or 3" barrel. Hope I can get this 101, but, if not, I might consider a Smith model 66 2.5". Hence the long, drawn out question I could have asked in about one line or so!

Thanks, Rick