Soda Can Stoves

Has anyone here ever tried making a soda can Stove? They are a lot of fun to make, fairly easy after you've made one and best of all they are really cheap.

All it takes is two empty soda cans, and a little bit of alchohol. There are plans all over the net if you just search for "soda can stove", or "Pepsi can stove".

My favorite design is this one: http://www.marcuslogan.com/49.html, but this site has lots of other designs and a ton of info: http://zenstoves.net/.

I have made them and taken them backpacking. They are extremely lightweight, and if you lose or break one, no big deal, make another one. My first one probably took 45 minutes to build, but the second one took about 15 minutes once I knew what to do.

I think this is one of those things to know that could come in handy one day, or just something to do to impress your friends. I also think it would make an excellent scout project.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Growing up my dad would make a simple alcohol stove out of a metal peanut can, or a 1lb metal coffee can.......put a roll of toilet paper down in the can dowse it with alcohol and then put the plastic lid back on. (electrical tape around the edge will seal it better) Then while ice fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, etc....just pull out the can....light it up, warm your hands over it, heat some coffee, toast your PB&J.......nothing tastes better on a cold day than a toasted PB&J mmmmm.....

• 1 month later...

I just started making these last weekend (yeah I was really bored) and I can't believe how well they actually work.

With that said, I am having trouble getting my seams to seal properly. Any suggestions on a good way to expand the cut end of the can? Or should I just use JB Weld or silicone gasket adhesive?

They are quite impressive aren't they?

On mine, I just carefully pushed the two halves together. I found that one cut would form a sharp point, and I would just push the point in.

I have heard that some people will put one half in the freezer to make it smaller.

One of my favorite tricks that I learned in scouts, and I still make them from time to time is to take a small dixie cup, cut it so all you have left is the bottom 2 inches, drizzle a little parrifin wax in, then some dryer lint and top it off with more parrifin wax. It makes a great firestarter in the rain and burns long enough to boil a small metal cup of water.

Guest stovepipe

JB Weld works great on the seams, so does Alum foil tape, though it gets sticky afer a few heatings...

For Scouts, I like to use the Mini-Trangia alcohol stove. It's the same idea of the pop-can stove, but has a screw top, and flame snuffer to save fuel. they can be found cheap, if you look for sales. I made a light weight pot stand using a tin can, that's a little bit larger than the stove, punched with a few air holes, and a couple of short pcs of 1/2" alum stock notched to interlock into an X, and sit on top of the can. It's light, clean, and fits into most any size cookpot.

Stove

Guest Glknknox

This is how they make candles in prison, been going on for many years.

It is pretty cool though.

I"ve made them before and they work pretty good, stoves that is, never been to prison.:D

• 3 months later...
Guest 1817ak47

didn't read all the above, but when I was yougner I would make "fire can" put either gas, diesle or kero in a steel can, and roll up a sheet of paper similiar to a wick and light it and it would burn for a long time. now Iwould be careful with gas though, but with gas it would just burn slowly light a regular leaf fire, now blow into it and it would flame up because it would get a big increase in oxygen to the fire

I made one out of a potted meat can, even simpler than the soda can one, works just as well or better. You have the stove, windscreen, and potstand all in one unit.

Guest Hi Point

Love making these things, when I was a kid I must have made 100 soda can and other can stoves with many different fuels. Alcohol is a fun/ easy to get/ clean burning fuel.

• 3 months later...
Guest pontiac_fiero_g

i made a few now but with a modified preheater. i use a tim can and cut a square out of the side and fit my stove into the top and just light some alchy below it to warm it up

Made a couple myself - found that I like the preheater-insulator idea, the alcohol boils faster. I might carry one to use with my canteen cup/stove. (Loves me a GI canteen cup).

They make a nice backup for me, but they aren't my primary stove. My primary hiking stove is a SVEA 123, second choice an M-1950 (Updated version of the WWII GI pocket stove) and third choice (First choice if I have a vehicle or some sucker to carry it for me) is the Coleman 502.

Thanks for posting the pic, SunTzu. With my current internet connection (equivalent to a couple tomato cans and some string) posting photos is a pain.

The 502 is the heaviest of the bunch, but puts out a lot of heat, very adjustable from simmer to "hey, lets' roast a turkey", very stable.

The M1950 also puts out a lot of heat (5000 BTU, I think). It is somewhat adjustable, but not as much as the 502. The swing-out pot arms will support a large pan or pot, but make sure the legs (also foldable) are well planted.

The Svea is the lightest of the bunch, doesn't put out as much heat, but operation is nearly foolproof, and unless you run over it with a truck, you aren't gonna break it.

They are all great, tough stoves. All burn unleaded gasoline, so if you've got 10 feet of aquarium tubing in your pack, you have a million sources for fuel.

A hundred years ago, when I was a boy scout, we'd cut corrugated cardboard into strips, roll it up, and put it in coffee cans. Then we'd pour melted parrafin over it, leaving about an 1/8" sticking out. The cardboard acted as a wick. These things would burn forever it seemed. I believe we had to cut some sort of vent holes in the can. When the parrafin cooled, you had a handy, portable, disposable stove.

• 3 weeks later...