Trying To Find My Grandads Rifle

I was pretty sure there was a website dedicated to this, but I have not been able to located it online for some reason. I have his Marine corps shooter log with the rifle serial number and would like to pursue it further to see if it can be located.

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Contact CMP all of them went through there,they should be able to tell you if it was sold or still at CMP.

CMP is definitely the place to start, especially their forum where this question will probably get much more traction, but not all of them went through the CMP and it’s predecessor DCM.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It's cool seeing the score book.  We should try to replicate the USMC qualification tests, and see how we score in comparison.  Your grandfather almost made Expert.

Standards for marksmanship in the USMC changed little between the wars and during WWII a Boot shot for record on the KD range at three distances:

500 yards:
Ten rounds, slow fire, prone position

300 yards:
Ten rounds, rapid fire, prone
Five rounds, slow fire, kneeling
Five rounds, slow fire, sitting

Everyone hated the sitting position!

200 yards:
Ten rounds, rapid fire, sitting
Ten rounds, slow fire, off hand

With five points awarded for each round a score of 250 points would be what was known as "The perfect possible", which was virtually impossible to reach due to the use of standard service rifles and old surplus ammunition leftover from WWI. Shoot 190 and you were a Marksman. Shoot 215 and you were a Sharpshooter. Expert meant shooting 225 or better. In those days the Corps paid extra for crack shots: A Sharpshooter received and additional $2 per month with an Expert receiving five extra bucks. Back in the early days of the war when a private was paid $21 per month this was HUGE money and Boots would bust their asses to qualify as at least a Sharpshooter. Even when pay was advanced to $51 per month that amount extra money (10% extra pay for Expert) was hardly small change.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MrBrian said:

I always found sitting was easy as prone. I thought kneeling was the universally most disliked position. That is unless you were one of those thin build and extremely flexible types. 

On 5/10/2020 at 2:35 AM, MrBrian said:

It's cool seeing the score book.  We should try to replicate the USMC qualification tests, and see how we score in comparison.  Your grandfather almost made Expert.

Standards for marksmanship in the USMC changed little between the wars and during WWII a Boot shot for record on the KD range at three distances:

500 yards:
Ten rounds, slow fire, prone position

300 yards:
Ten rounds, rapid fire, prone
Five rounds, slow fire, kneeling
Five rounds, slow fire, sitting

200 yards:
Ten rounds, rapid fire, sitting
Ten rounds, slow fire, off hand

With five points awarded for each round a score of 250 points would be what was known as "The perfect possible", which was virtually impossible to reach due to the use of standard service rifles and old surplus ammunition leftover from WWI. Shoot 190 and you were a Marksman. Shoot 215 and you were a Sharpshooter. Expert meant shooting 225 or better. In those days the Corps paid extra for crack shots: A Sharpshooter received and additional $2 per month with an Expert receiving five extra bucks. Back in the early days of the war when a private was paid $21 per month this was HUGE money and Boots would bust their asses to qualify as at least a Sharpshooter. Even when pay was advanced to $51 per month that amount extra money (10% extra pay for Expert) was hardly small change.

Aw darn...I was always told he shot expert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:10 AM, MP5_Rizzo said:

I always found sitting was easy as prone. I thought kneeling was the universally most disliked position. That is unless you were one of those thin build and extremely flexible types. 

Sitting if done with the legs spread a little and knees up, then rest your elbows can sometimes be accurate. I've made a couple shots on deer at over 250 yards like this.