Harold Reid Dies at 80

AuEagle

Back when country music was good, they were one of the best. I always liked the Staler Brothers. They did some great music. I still have several of their albums. 

I remember being first introduced to Lester “Roadhog” Moran & His Cadillac Cowboys  by AFN radio in Germany. They always cracked me up. :D

• Like 4

An ex-coworker of mine is a bigwig with ASCAP, not going to mention any names. He called me as soon as he heard the news. Like many, I was devastated. 

Jim knew I was a fan of the Statlers, we often listened to them instead of discussing sales pitches in my company truck. That's where we got to know each other. Listening to country as we moved from account to account. As my supervisor, we had several days a month together.

Anyway, I sort of grew up listening to the Statler Brothers, in all their member changes, I loved them all. Mom even told me I looked like Don back when I was a skinny kid with long hair. lol 

Anyway, I guess if I had a favorite amongst them, Harold was the one. 

So Heaven's choir gained another great singer. May you Rest well and Sing for the Lord.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I'm guessing Tammy is glad to see him. They had that "special bond."

The Roadhog stuff is classic. It was a total joke, but it got so popular that fans wanted to hear it during the regular concerts. I understand Harold got pretty ticked about the monster they created lol.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, hipower said:

Considering your career in the business, I was wondering...did you ever play with them?

I was fortunate to, yes. Hal Rugg, the steel player that usually did their material had double booked himself and asked me if I could cover a TV show with them for him. Hal was the only steel player that could read legit music. Bill Walker was the arranger on the show, and I knew he'd have exact parts written out. I said to Hal that I didn't read. He said not to worry, Bill would have it taken care of.

So I went to do the show. Bill was a dear friend of my Dad, too. When I got there, Bill came up to me and said, "So you're Tex's boy? Great to meet you, Mike! Here's your book." I said, "Bill, I don't read." He just winked at me and told me to open the book.

I did, and on the sheet music in the spots where I was supposed to play, it was marked "steel fill here."

Bill was fantastic, and it went off without a hitch.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

I was fortunate to, yes. Hal Rugg, the steel player that usually did their material had double booked himself and asked me if I could cover a TV show with them for him. Hal was the only steel player that could read legit music. Bill Walker was the arranger on the show, and I knew he'd have exact parts written out. I said to Hal that I didn't read. He said not to worry, Bill would have it taken care of.

So I went to do the show. Bill was a dear friend of my Dad, too. When I got there, Bill came up to me and said, "So you're Tex's boy? Great to meet you, Mike! Here's your book." I said, "Bill, I don't read." He just winked at me and told me to open the book.

I did, and on the sheet music in the spots where I was supposed to play, it was marked "steel fill here."

Bill was fantastic, and it went off without a hitch.

Man I would so like to hear hours and hours of your stories...and some of the tunes you played on. 

As I was listening to literally several hours of The Statlers u-tube clips last night, I ran across Lew's short comments about his life and how he felt sort of unfulfilled by his work as he tried to do some solo recordings. That was both sad and telling of a man who made millions happy with his guitar and voice.

That just got me thinking on my life and accomplishments, or lack thereof, and you come to mind. I know it probably wasn't easy or pretty all the time, but I'm sure a bit envious of your life in the music business. 

I've absolutely loved music all my life. Pretty much all types. From Jimmy Rogers, and Little Jimmy Dickens; to Meatloaf and Al Stewart. Bluegrass to hardcore rock. Even some of the 80s and 90s music. lol

And much to the wife's amazement at times...show tunes to classical. She will listen to about anything I play, but really draws the line at any "metal," which is a real shame.

I have to either send her away or go to the car to listen to early Deep Purple and Uriah Heap. Nothing quite like Smoke on the Water and Demons and Wizards played back to back.

She goes for the ear plugs then.

I just never made the time, nor had the drive to sit and learn to play anything. Loved the piano and stand up bass, steel and acoustic guitar, and of all things...the saxophone. Plus the bagpipes!

Ok, just wasting your time. Just in a mood.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Love 1