Total Knee Replacement UPDATE

Randall53

Again thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. I went into surgery at 10am and was home by 6pm. My after surgery PT went really smooth and after the gourmet hospital lunch and PT session I was processed and out of there. I know the nerve block is doing it’s job well and I keep waiting on the pain to kick in, but so far not much at all. I can flex my knee back to about 70 degrees and straighten it back out and I’m walking around the house every 2 hours and doing the sliding exercises as prescribed.  I’m sliding the walker around, but I’m able to walk fairly normal and place all of my 265 lbs on it with no trouble. Of course I may be in the fetal position crying profusely (haha)  when the nerve block ends in 24 to 48 hours they say. As of now the only thing I feel is a kind of soreness like the day after a good workout in the gym. I’m also keeping ice on the bottom and top while sitting down. Thanks for all the encouragement and PT advice!! 

Randall53

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Glad that everything went smoothly.

I may have to have that done. But I’m terrible at dealing with pain. (I see it as, no need to) I told my wife I would need some serious meds.

Good luck with your recovery.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Glad that everything went smoothly.

I may have to gave that done. But I’m terrible at dealing with pain. (I see it as, no need to) I told my wife I would need some serious meds.

Good luck with your recovery.

Thank you Dave. I understand the pain issues. With motorcycles, dirt bikes, football and just plain stupid stuff, I’ve dealt with a lot of it. This has been a breeze so far. When the nerve block wears off I’ll know more and fill you in on what happens, but up until now, I’d do it over again with no worries. I’m sure rehab is going to be tough, but it’s a necessary evil.  Just do some research on doctors first. I used Timothy Ballard here in Chattanooga. He’s been doing it for over 20 years and is highly recommended in my area. 

• Like 1

Good to hear.  After my surgery, I too was able to bend more than I thought I would be able to, however my trouble was the knee resisted straightening.  I sat too much in the first few weeks after the surgery, with my knee slightly bent and that' didn't help the problem.  I should have spent more time with the knee straight out, unbent, either when sitting or lying down.  As a result, my PT was more difficult, as it took a while to get it to straighten out, there's still s slight difference 2 years later.  Good luck ...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, No_0ne said:

Good to hear.  After my surgery, I too was able to bend more than I thought I would be able to, however my trouble was the knee resisted straightening.  I sat too much in the first few weeks after the surgery, with my knee slightly bent and that' didn't help the problem.  I should have spent more time with the knee straight out, unbent, either when sitting or lying down.  As a result, my PT was more difficult, as it took a while to get it to straighten out, there's still s slight difference 2 years later.  Good luck ...

Thanks for that info! I’m taking your advice. I just got up and put a hard pillow under my heel and that has straighten out my leg. I am walking every hour around my home. And the exercises. The pedal exercise is the toughest right now. thanks again!

48 minutes ago, Raoul said:

If you ain't hurting in therapy you ain't working hard enough...

That’s true. I start Monday with the real thing. I’ve been doing the homework they gave me yesterday and the block is about gone. It’s been getting tougher all evening.

18 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Thanks for that info! I’m taking your advice. I just got up and put a hard pillow under my heel and that has straighten out my leg. I am walking every hour around my home. And the exercises. The pedal exercise is the toughest right now. thanks again!

13 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

Comparing yesterdays pain to an occasional rain shower, this morning its a level 4 hurricane...the nerve block is for sure gone now! 🥶

Hope they gave you some meds to help with that. Hang in there buddie I'm pulling for you.

9 minutes ago, Raoul said:

It's gonna hurt. That's why you have a bottle of opiods. Like it or not they will be necessary for a little while.

I can't stress enough how important your PT is right now. Hang in there, it'll definitely be worth it.

I’m doing the PT they gave me to do until Monday when I go to Benchmark PT and start on the real stuff. They told me to take pain meds about 30 minutes before i get there. It’s sure harder to walk around today, but I’m doing it. I appreciate the encouragement. 👍

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 2

Walking, in house, and Ice is your friend now. Movement keeps chance of blood clots down, and ice is wonderful to keep swelling down. I got up and walked, in my house, every 2 hours right after my surgery then applied a ice pas. I walked about 10 times around my house. We have a 1000 feet circle through our den dining room and kitchen. I started out with 5 times then graduated up to 15 times when the knee let me.  It helps in the long run even though it hurts. Just remember baby steps at first the push it a little more each time. About the 3rd or 4 day, after the good drugs wore off,  was my worst as far as knee pain. First week of PT was also bad then it was up up and away.  I felt 60 % better the second week after. Took a while to get back to normal after surgery. You will always know that knee has been replaced. That will never go away. At least, in my case, that is my experience. 

Prayers for you Randall53.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Randall53 said:

Comparing yesterdays pain to an occasional rain shower, this morning its a level 4 hurricane...the nerve block is for sure gone now! 🥶

It's not too late to beg, borrow or steal one of those ice recirculating machines.  The dope helped me, especially the ones right before therapy, but it was the ice machine that got me through.  Like you, I first tried icepacks.  Then I learned why everybody was recommending the ice machines ...

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

It's not too late to beg, borrow or steal one of those ice recirculating machines.  The dope helped me, especially the ones right before therapy, but it was the ice machine that got me through.  Like you, I first tried icepacks.  Then I learned why everybody was recommending the ice machines ...

When I first got up it was real tough, but now I’ve been walking and doing pt each time I take the meds, well, about 30 minutes after my pain meds and it’s bearable now. I’ve got 4 ice packs in rotation.  

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 2