Jump to content

Big bore ar 15 round cycling


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Marty was a good source. He's the daddy of the caliber. Rock River always did a good job too. They can just make you wait for months.

 

2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Back in the day, Marty wouldn’t sell a barrel  without a corresponding bolt that was matched to headspace correctly.

I think both my .458 SOCOM and .338 Spectre barrels were sold as a pair with a bolt.

 

And I have no idea who Marty is. 

Link to post
  • Admin Team

He’s the guy you have to thank for the round.

As popular as it is,  .458 SOCOM isn’t really a plug and play platform.  Rock River is about as close as it comes commercially. Even then you’ve got to really be dedicated. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

He’s the guy you have to thank for the round.

As popular as it is,  .458 SOCOM isn’t really a plug and play platform.  Rock River is about as close as it comes commercially. Even then you’ve got to really be dedicated. 

Other than the fact that we had no good load data when we all started out, the 458 was a breeze for me. And I had a midlength upper, thanks to my buddy Brent. I didn't shoot many subs. But I shot a lot of everything else. I'm due for an outing with mine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

He’s the guy you have to thank for the round.

As popular as it is,  .458 SOCOM isn’t really a plug and play platform.  Rock River is about as close as it comes commercially. Even then you’ve got to really be dedicated. 

And that was something I wish I had known. I dont have much time due to work and life. Sure, things break and malfunction (got to have spare parts), but I really was hopping for plug and play with this upper. I will be contacting bca about a possible swap.

 

Might give 300 bo a try now.

Edited by RC3
Link to post
20 minutes ago, RC3 said:

And that was something I wish I had known. I dont have much time due to work and life. Sure, things break and malfunction (got to have spare parts), but I really was hopping for plug and play with this upper. I will be contacting bca about a possible swap.

 

Might give 300 bo a try now.

That should go easier. It's not a wildcat. And there's unlimited brass availability. It ain't near as throaty when you shoot it though. 🙂 

Link to post
7 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

That should go easier. It's not a wildcat. And there's unlimited brass availability. It ain't near as throaty when you shoot it though. 🙂 

I had no issue with the recoil and it honestly reminded me of shooting a 308. But I want something reliable. So, depending on what bca says, I may have some ammo posted soon.

Link to post
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

Other than the fact that we had no good load data when we all started out, the 458 was a breeze for me. And I had a midlength upper, thanks to my buddy Brent. I didn't shoot many subs. But I shot a lot of everything else. I'm due for an outing with mine.

Doesn’t seem like I’ve seen Brent around much of late.  Hope he’s well. 

Link to post
56 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Doesn’t seem like I’ve seen Brent around much of late.  Hope he’s well. 

I haven't talked to him in awhile. Last time was Facebook.

Link to post
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Doesn’t seem like I’ve seen Brent around much of late.  Hope he’s well. 

 

21 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I haven't talked to him in awhile. Last time was Facebook.

Same here.  I haven’t talked to Brent in a while.  Two things he really loved, .458 and Weatherbys. 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Drill your gas port out to .096. My 450 Bushmasters did the same thing. BCA lets them go way undergassed. Drilled it carefully and she ran like a brand new one. 

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, 19_A_CPT said:

Drill your gas port out to .096. My 450 Bushmasters did the same thing. BCA lets them go way undergassed. Drilled it carefully and she ran like a brand new one. 

 

Drilling gas ports just puckers me right up. Really not a big deal if you use I chucking reamer. Still a white knuckle experience for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Been following this thread, as I've been in the market for a .458 upper after my latest can purchase. Looks like I got more reading to do before I commit to a certain brand.

Link to post
4 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Drilling gas ports just puckers me right up. Really not a big deal if you use I chucking reamer. Still a white knuckle experience for me.

Had to do that on a buddy's 6.8 about 12 hours before we headed to Texas for a hunt. It ran like a champ, but doing it that late in the game is ruff.

  • Like 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

Had to do that on a buddy's 6.8 about 12 hours before we headed to Texas for a hunt. It ran like a champ, but doing it that late in the game is ruff.

I've had to do it too, with the same results. I was just paranoid taking a drill press to a barrel. I actually have better tools now.

Link to post

I've had to do it too, with the same results. I was just paranoid taking a drill press to a barrel. I actually have better tools now.

What's a drill press? 🤣🇺🇸
Link to post
  • Admin Team

I bet if we ran a poll, the number of people on here who’ve sized a gas port with a hand drill is way greater than those who’ve used a drill press. And both of those are way bigger than the number of people who’ve ever even seen much less actually used a reamer. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I bet if we ran a poll, the number of people on here who’ve sized a gas port with a hand drill is way greater than those who’ve used a drill press. And both of those are way bigger than the number of people who’ve ever even seen much less actually used a reamer. 

I have this image of the bit catching and slamming into the inside of the barrel across from the gas hole. Oh yeah, reamer...  

Reamer.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
46 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I have this image of the bit catching and slamming into the inside of the barrel across from the gas hole. Oh yeah, reamer...  

Reamer.jpg

That's what the electrical tape at the correct distance is for. The aluminum collar for the sophisticated drill user. The drill press stoppy thingy for the elite. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, alleycat72 said:

That's what the electrical tape at the correct distance is for. The aluminum collar for the sophisticated drill user. The drill press stoppy thingy for the elite. 

That tape won't stop anything if the bit catches and turns into a screw. I use stop collars with hand drills all the time. They just don't come in gas port sizes. Yep, you can set a hard stop on a drill press. But, a reamer isn't a screw. It's also carbide, and will snap if you try to bend it.

Link to post
26 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

That tape won't stop anything if the bit catches and turns into a screw. I use stop collars with hand drills all the time. They just don't come in gas port sizes. Yep, you can set a hard stop on a drill press. But, a reamer isn't a screw. It's also carbide, and will snap if you try to bend it.

Maybe I should have used the joke emoji.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
20 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Drilling gas ports just puckers me right up. Really not a big deal if you use I chucking reamer. Still a white knuckle experience for me.

Oh yeah, it can be a little tedious. Especially if you have to drill something with a hand drill. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.