New Season, New Bike

poak

So, I've been toying with the idea of getting a new bike...

So why not post the bikes I'm considering and let you guys weigh in? :up:

I've always wanted a Ducati Monster, but due to my current employment situation, I shouldnt even consider one. Enter the Suzuki SV650. The SV is Suzuki's answer to the Monster. It's lightweight, has a great 90degree V-twin motor, it's mass is incredibly centrailized, and it looks pretty farkin sweet as well. It's been noted as a great bike for sport touring, comfortable for two-up riding, and has the kind of Japanese service intervals a Ducati owner surely envys...

2005_4_sv650_Yellow.jpg

Then there's the Suzuki DRZ400SM. It's a supermoto bike, I guess you could say it's a dirtbike raised by a family of sportbikes... It's a GREAT bike for around town, and can handle light trail work w/ ease. It's cons are it's small gas tank, and I could imagine it probably wouldnt be the most comfortable thing for long rides...

2005-Suzuki-DRZ400SM.jpg

... and out there in left field, we have the Suzuki Marauder 800. I don't really dig cruisers all that much, but a good friend of mine offered me a smoking deal on h is 03 Marauder w/ 600 some odd miles on it. That's right, 600 MILES!

2003-Suzuki-VZ800Maraudera.jpg

So, lets hear it folks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man! You're making me wish I had my bike back, but after my wreck the wife says NO! That being said, I'd go with the Marauder, followed by the SV650. The DRZ400SM would make a great 2nd bike, but like you said I wouldn't want to ride it all day around town or commuting.

Oh man! You're making me wish I had my bike back, but after my wreck the wife says NO! That being said, I'd go with the Marauder, followed by the SV650. The DRZ400SM would make a great 2nd bike, but like you said I wouldn't want to ride it all day around town or commuting.

Hey man, if you ever get that itch, I'll let you take mine around the block a few times ;)

The Marauder is looking like it'll be pretty hard to say no to... It's a smoking deal...

I've been considering insurance costs as well, which I havent gotten quotes on but would imagine they would rank, from cheapest to most expensive DRZ400SM, Marauder, SV.

I agree the DRZ would be an AWESOME 2nd bike, but touring capability would be limited... then again, you're talking to the guy who rode a Ninja 250 all the way from Nashville to San Diego last summer, hahaha.

I wish two bikes was an option :up:

Hey man, if you ever get that itch, I'll let you take mine around the block a few times ;)

The Marauder is looking like it'll be pretty hard to say no to... It's a smoking deal...

I've been considering insurance costs as well, which I havent gotten quotes on but would imagine they would rank, from cheapest to most expensive DRZ400SM, Marauder, SV.

I agree the DRZ would be an AWESOME 2nd bike, but touring capability would be limited... then again, you're talking to the guy who rode a Ninja 250 all the way from Nashville to San Diego last summer, hahaha.

I wish two bikes was an option ;)

I bet your chiropractor loves you!:up:

I bet your chiropractor loves you!:up:

It actually was up for the task surprisingly well, but it did start running out of breath a few times over some steep passes in Colorado. I was sore the first two days, but my body got used to it ;)

Guest Mugster

Depends on what you want to use it for. Pay cash for your bikes and run liability only, free advice.

I run a suzuki bandit 1200s (2001 model) with mods, and a yamaha seca 650 (1982 model), also with mods. I like a standard machine with upright seating and some amount of room in the saddle to move around, so thats what I look for. I have a couple 2 stroke dirt scoots and some older stuff as well. Occasionally I stick a tag on an offroad bike and run around on it.

The SV is nice machine, light weight and very handy. My dad got one as the size and V twin make handling easier, as in getting it out of the garage (he's 87). He's also a little guy at 5'7" 145, and it fits him. Me, I'm bigger (6'1" 195) and the saddle offers no wiggle room. Good power, good brakes. Good for the track too, with some suspension mods. If all I was going to do was carve corners I might get one. Anything over a 20 mile commute, I'd look someplace else. Could use a damper on the steering if you decide to get nasty. Runs good stock.

The DRZ's i've been on, mostly set up for offroad, are bloated pigs that can't compete with other harder core offroad machines, like a yz450/ktm400 or 450. The flip side of the coin is, they are pretty comfortable for street use. Short range commute maybe or just a fun bike to run around on. Lots of mods available, and you'll want this to up the power. Stock they don't go too good. Pipe it, jet it, should give you a little bit and make it run better.

The marauder, I dunno nothing about it.

Have you considered the husqavarna TE610.....? Dualsport and motard versions are available. It has a great following by many adventure riders and has the much sought after 6 speed gear box for those long sections of pavement that the DRZ just doesnt like.

Man, looking at this just make me want to get another one too. I miss my bike.

As I get older, well, lets just say that comfort becomes more of a factor. I would go for the Marauder now. But there's still a huge part of me that love the Ducati. But I don't think my back and knees could take it anymore. Getting old sucks.

Guest mustangdave

A buddy I work with has a SV650...he love it for what he calls "flick-ability"...he loves the nekked sport bike look...his dream bike is a Triumph Speed Triple...of the 3 you posted up...I'd go twith the SV

I will add my two cents on this. If you are limiting yourself to the 3 you have picked out and you do not care about speed on cornering clearance then go with the marauder 800, but if you like a little speed and cornering clearance than go with the SV650.

I would also consider the Yamaha F6 and if you want to go bigger look at the F1, Suzuki Bandit 1200 or 1250, Kawasaki ZRX1220R, and the ZZR1200.

Guest colombianito1021

I have a question regarding to bikes. I am interested in buying a "crotch rocket." I have never rode a bike or anything like that. How is the process in getting a license/buying one? Do i just go to the class and they have bikes that i can use? or do i have to bring my own. thanks guys.

If you have NEVER ridden, then don't buy 8 to 18K worth of bike your going to dump. The bike I just posted above, the GS500F or the the Ninja 250 might be better starter bikes until you get some miles under your bet.

Tennessee requires only that you pass their written (computer) test and take a driving test. Obviously the evaluator can't ride with you on a bike so you get told a route to take and they watch you. When I took mine, 80% of the route was not even visible to the evaluator and lasted a total of 90 seconds. Part of it was through a Lowes parking lot. You don't have to have anything to buy the bike!

There are classes offered by various sources. Castle Motor Sports holds one at Vol State quite often but they are always full. Taking this course will allow you to skip the driving portion of the license test. I would recommend it. I took one in North Carolina when I got my first sport bike, a Ninja 900 way back in the 80s. It was worth it.

I have a question regarding to bikes. I am interested in buying a "crotch rocket." I have never rode a bike or anything like that. How is the process in getting a license/buying one? Do i just go to the class and they have bikes that i can use? or do i have to bring my own. thanks guys.

Yeah, MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) sponsors classes, and they provide the bikes. You are not required to take the class to get a license, but I would highly recommend it. It costs about $185, I think. Two major pluses to taking the class (aside from what you'll learn) is after they give you a certificate, the DMV will grant you a full motorcycle endorsement (i.e., no tests to take, not restricted permits, nada). The other plus is a savings on insurance.

I would also consider the Yamaha F6

Good call, I almost forgot about the Yammy FZ6! I really like those as well (big fan of the stock underseat exhaust), while I hear they deliver decent midrange for an inline four, I'm very partial to a tourqey v-twin sport standard. Have you ever seen the Euro FZ6 where they've ditched the quarter fairing? It's Niiiiiiiiice:

desktop2008fz6white.jpg

Harley - USA made

If I'm going to pay that much for a bike, I would expect it to pay dividends in performance and/or reliability. Neither of which HD is currently accomplishing. I want a bike, not an image :)

Go with the Monster. Look here.

www.cincinnatipowersports.com

Tell Lawrence the old man sent you. I'll even carry it to Nashville for you at no charge.:up:

oldogy

You sir, are evil! :cool:

or go the other way with the looks like a superbike but gets gas mileage in the 50's and is also made by Suzuki. Also a V Twin engine. GS500F.

You'll have to add your own rifles though:)

IMG_6139.jpg

Some of those rifles look familiar.....;)

You can't go wrong with either the SV or the DR-SM. Both are highly adaptable to a wide range of riding styles and are quite forgiving for newer riders.

If it were me I would go for the SV as my first choice and the DR motard as the second choice. Of course the DR will give you much more in the way of fun.

I would stay away from the cruiser due to weight and limited re-sale market.