Long guns in cars

Guest Revelator

Would you keep a loaded long gun in the car if they make it legal?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep a loaded long gun in the car if they make it legal?

• Yes-when the zombie outbreak hits, it'll be at rush hour
    • No-too risky to leave one in the car
    • Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depends on my plans for the day

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tedbo

I voted yes,although I don't think I would always load one in the vehicle.

There are times when I would want to have a shotgun or an AR in my van.

I have been broken down in the not so nice part of town due to a job site.

My newest vehicle is 15 years old and the one I drive daily is 19 yrs old.

I do preventive maintenance, but sometimes Murphy's Law wants to hitch a ride and I can't always keep that sob at the bus station!

Having a pistol is nice but a shotgun is better.

With the increase in Gang activity I would be more comfortable with more firepower if ever called upon.

Takedown frame '97 pump action 12 gauge with 24 inch (or shorter) barrel stores neatly, assembles quickly, works well. Heck, put choke tubes in it, carry them and a small variety of shotshells in a canvas roll.

M1A1 type folding stock on a .30 carbine.

I might leave one in the vehicle full time, might not. If I had to 'bug out' due to a katrina type event, heck yes I'd have a loaded long gun, or three.

Edited by Mark@Sea
Guest SouthernSaltine
Inspector Callahan wouldn't be caught dead carrying a wimpy .357.

- OS

Yea but i dint have a .44 and he does like to talk about the .357 alot..Talks alot of :) about it, but thats all I got:(!

well, personally i would rather be prepared than to be wishing i had something so i would probably have a high-capacity rifle of some sort and a shotgun at all times just in case i happened to need it along with the .45 and .22 handguns. most likely a AR with a eotech and 3-9x40 scope on quick detach mounts to swap back and forth, that along with the shotgun and 2 handguns covers any possible scenario i can imagine.

Yes, this might change how I do things.

I carried for years as a cop and when I quit I just never had the desire to do it anymore.

A late night trip to the bus depot in downtown Memphis motivated me to get my carry permit. I did it not really because I wanted to carry, but because I wanted to be able to have a gun in my car.

I know its not for everyone, but I feel better knowing that I have access to a gun if I need it. So…. If I had the time and felt the need to go to my car to get my gun I would feel better knowing that I will be returning with a .308 Panther. :koolaid:

Guest 270win

I know it is legal to carry or have in your vehicle a loaded long gun in Arkansas, whether or not you are hunting or have a license. Basically, it was decided about ten years ago by the state supreme court that it is a constitutional right there. The game commission tried to make a reg against it, but state supreme court turned it down. It is also legal to carry a loaded handgun legal for hunting on the way to and from hunting, whether or not you have a license/permit. It is also legal to carry a handgun in AR when on a journey without a license. I don't see what the bed wetters are getting worried about. The journey and hunting exemptions allow 18yr olds to carry handguns in AR. I was glad when i was in high school and had a loaded long gun (no handgun if under 18) when traveling through some rough towns on the way to my hunting area. Again completely legal when i was 16.

Where can you keep a loaded long gun in your vehicle while hunting?

WD

In Tennessee it is my understanding you can do it anywhere as long as you are legally hunting and not on a public roadway.

But I don’t think there is any provision that allows hunters to carry a loaded firearm on a public roadway.

Guest Mugster
In Tennessee it is my understanding you can do it anywhere as long as you are legally hunting and not on a public roadway.

But I don’t think there is any provision that allows hunters to carry a loaded firearm on a public roadway.

Actually, thats not right. You can't hunt from a licensed vehicle, thats against state hunting law. I *think* you can hunt from a 4 wheeler, but i'm not sure, I don't have a 4 wheeler. The state makes alot of money busting people for hunting with illegal weapons or carrying loaded weapons in vehicles on public property. Its a very common ticket and a big money maker for the twra.

And, nobody knows or is willing to admit if a ticket for a hunting violation in regards to an illegal weapon is grounds for refusal for a carry permit. Illegal weapon in this case being like an otherwise legal handgun but dude got caught with it loaded in the truck during bow season.

You are not permitted to carry a loaded long gun (with or without) a HCP on any public road or public hunting area, in or on ANY motorized vehicle. A law was passed about 2 years ago allowing a hunter to carry a loaded weapon on an ATV ( motorized vehicle) while on private land. I found this out the hard way. Trust me...it's not legal. We were hunting public land last turkey season and decided to move down the road a piece. Being in my truck and not wanting to case the shot guns (which is required) or lay the gun in the bed of the truck, we just layed them in the back seat. We pulled off the gravel road to go about 200 yards down an old country blacktop road. As we were pulling out, the warden was pulling in. He stopped us to check for license and all things....loaded guns! Well guess what? I know now NOT TO DO IT! Also, be very careful of where you go (and with what handgun you have in your possesion) during the hunting season. HCP or otherwise!

WD-40 (Dave)

Guest c_o_jones
I voted yes just cause the zombie comment was funny....but really, I am not leaving my AR in my car...

Once zombies were mentioned, I didn't see any other choice, either.:)

I carry a gun for self defense. Long gun is impractical for my life style, so no. Sounds to to me as an attempt to provide free guns for gang bangers. Broken windows in car seems inevitable. Shotgun is for house not car!

You are not permitted to carry a loaded long gun (with or without) a HCP on any public road or public hunting area, in or on ANY motorized vehicle. A law was passed about 2 years ago allowing a hunter to carry a loaded weapon on an ATV ( motorized vehicle) while on private land. I found this out the hard way. Trust me...it's not legal. We were hunting public land last turkey season and decided to move down the road a piece. Being in my truck and not wanting to case the shot guns (which is required) or lay the gun in the bed of the truck, we just layed them in the back seat. We pulled off the gravel road to go about 200 yards down an old country blacktop road. As we were pulling out, the warden was pulling in. He stopped us to check for license and all things....loaded guns! Well guess what? I know now NOT TO DO IT! Also, be very careful of where you go (and with what handgun you have in your possesion) during the hunting season. HCP or otherwise!

WD-40 (Dave)

Ouch!

Passing this bill would certainly eliminate some of the "got ya's" while transporting a long gun for hunting / sport shooting. It would be nice not to have to be so paranoid about where I store my box of steel shot while on my way to the duck blind. I drive a truck, so my long gun is always somewhere in the cab. It is annoying to have to separate and lock-up long guns from ammo when I am allowed to have a loaded handgun with my HCP. I hope it passes.

Good point about the handgun during hunting season. I usually opt to carry a handgun with a 4" bbl or more and of large caliber when I am going to/from my hunting property during big game gun season. Would hate to see TWRA when I arrive at my hunting property with a handgun of illegal size for hunting even if I did not intend to use it for that purpose. I sure hope they pass that bill to make it legal to carry while bowhunting.

Guest db99wj
I voted yes just cause the zombie comment was funny....but really, I am not leaving my AR in my car...

No doubt! If I ever get my AR!

Besides, I will be driving a Jeep Wrangler (soon, hopefully this week) and will NOT keep any firearm in it unattended. Will have a safe for a just in case I have to and can't get around it, IE federal building with metal detector, or court...

If a major disaster were to happen, like the earthquake, It would be nice to be able to carry an AR or shotgun, ready to go, if I was out and about.

Side note, I know someone who lives in New Orleans, left when the hurricane hit, went to check on his house on the designated day. Had a friend here with AR and handgun permit, went down there with him. Came to the checkpoint, with the National Guard guys, had his AR slung around him, they asked him something like are you locked and loaded, "Yep", they said go on, be careful.

Edited by db99wj
Guest db99wj
maybe it is legal in La.?

I don't know what their law is under normal circumstances, and remember this was during a time of where they confiscated some guns and all that stuff.

It would be great, during a time like that(disaster), to be able to legally arm yourself.

i voted yes. i wouldnt leave it in there all the time, when i were home i'd transport it into the house. but i can see several instances where it would be nice to have a loaded shotgun/rifle available...like catfishing late at night on the lake banks, when i'm sitting right next to the jeep. i've been in several instances there that the Glock on my hip was comforting, but a good 12ga pump would have been very nice!

a little common sense about concealing the long gun while in the car would greatly reduce the break-in's that people fear. plus i live in an area where that doesnt happen alot anyways, and i dont make a habit to go to those areas that it does happen...

The Zombies won my vote. But in reality, I would probably only have a "loaded" long gun in the car for transportation purposes. I agree completely that the current definition of "loaded" seems to have been created by someone who was "loaded" in a different fashion.