Sig gets sued over the P320

scatman

So, I've recently been seeing a lot of reports of accidental discharges involving the P320, two of these incidents have resulted in serious injury, and one incident made a whole department decide to switch to Glocks. Has anyone else been seeing these reports? What are your thoughts? And do you think the m17/m18 variants being based on the 320 frame, are going to exhibit the same issue? Theres been zero reports of this happening with Military models, because there's stricter requirements and regulations, but as I stated above theres been one major incident surrounding a "law enforcement department." I say that in quotes because I believe it was a transit department not an actual police or sheriff's department,  but still a badge with a firearm.

2 hours ago, scatman said:

So, I've recently been seeing a lot of reports of accidental discharges involving the P320, two of these incidents have resulted in serious injury, and one incident made a whole department decide to switch to Glocks. Has anyone else been seeing these reports? What are your thoughts? And do you think the m17/m18 variants being based on the 320 frame, are going to exhibit the same issue? Theres been zero reports of this happening with Military models, because there's stricter requirements and regulations, but as I stated above theres been one major incident surrounding a "law enforcement department." I say that in quotes because I believe it was a transit department not an actual police or sheriff's department,  but still a badge with a firearm.

I own 2 P320's in .357 Sig and have never had an "accidental" discharge.

There's been tons written on this subject already, and rather than rehash it all, I'll just pose a couple questions:

1.  You're right that there haven't been reports of this happening with military models.  Have you heard reports of accidental discharges from the many thousands of these things in the civilian market?  (I haven't.)  Maybe there's a hint there.

2.  If you were a cop and you negligently discharged your P320, would you own up to your mistake and take whatever disciplinary action might be handed down, or would you say the gun was defective?

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Whisper said:

There's been tons written on this subject already, and rather than rehash it all, I'll just pose a couple questions:

1.  You're right that there haven't been reports of this happening with military models.  Have you heard reports of accidental discharges from the many thousands of these things in the civilian market?  (I haven't.)  Maybe there's a hint there.

2.  If you were a cop and you negligently discharged your P320, would you own up to your mistake and take whatever disciplinary action might be handed down, or would you say the gun was defective?

To answer point 1) the one case that I know is making it to court is a civilian, and veteran. I'll attach the article below.

2) My uncle worked for Jefferson County in Alabama as a deputy, over the course of his career he saw two incidents happen involving an accidental discharge with a deputy, one was a rookie who doing draw practice in his home, forgot to make sure chamber was clear, put a round through his kitchen wall and neighbors called authorities, he admitted fully to his mistakes, lost his badge, and couldnt wasn't allowed to even get a carry permit for three years. The other deputy was an experienced one, and his glock went off went he sat down into his cruiser, turned out that his armorer polished the trigger bar and this caused a catastrophic malfunction. With all that being said, that one calls to one's integrity, and with today's society and the failure of the department in Uvalde, my expectations for one having said integrity is very very low.

So, I see your points, I wasn't aware there was already a discussion surrounding this topic, otherwise I would not have created this one, lol.

Heres that article: https://www.wmur.com/amp/article/sig-sauer-sued-pistol-lawsuit-61522/40301147 I do see a bit of the usual exaggeration when it comes to describing these incidents.

Edited by scatman
7 minutes ago, scatman said:

my expectations for one having said integrity is very very low.

I  wasn't aware there was already a discussion surrounding this topic, otherwise I would not have created this one, lol.

Ever since the 320 came out it’s been a target based on the known problem of failed drop tests. Even with recall fixes, it wouldn’t be hard to convince the right jury for a shark of an attorney.

There is also a precedent with another officer that will help folks queue up for Sig dollars. An officer a couple years prior to this sued Sig claiming the same. Dont recall her name or PD. Sig settling out of court.

The buffet is now open. 

Is it possible? Maybe. Thing is you don’t know what all has been done to them.  I have 3 FCU’s with numerous grip modules and slides. Usually have another 320 in my nightstand. Never happened to me. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Erich said:

Ever since the 320 came out it’s been a target based on the known problem of failed drop tests. Even with recall fixes, it wouldn’t be hard to convince the right jury for a shark of an attorney.

There is also a precedent with another officer that will help folks queue up for Sig dollars. An officer a couple years prior to this sued Sig claiming the same. Dont recall her name or PD. Sig settling out of court.

The buffet is now open. 

Is it possible? Maybe. Thing is you don’t know what all has been done to them.  I have 3 FCU’s with numerous grip modules and slides. Usually have another 320 in my nightstand. Never happened to me. 

And this brings me to one of my favorite points, because I assume that you and I are alike and keep them well maintained. My experience in matters such as this, and other bad reports like the 938 had of being made "cheap," come down to this: a firearm is just as much, if not more, of a complex piece of machinery as a car. If you take care of your car, it takes care of you, firearms are no different, and most major malfunctions are results of poor routine maintenance. 

• Like 1

Sig had a voluntary call back on 320 to replace the triggers. I sent mine back too sig had it back in 4 days. Good company to work with. Sig now has a 365 in 380. 
 Sig says it’s easy rack  I guess to complete with smiths EZ 9  my look at gun show this weekend 

With respect to the OP, this topic has been resolved. 

There were REPORTEDLY some issues with early models, but that was years ago.  Have had two P320'S with no holes in my foot or leg yet.   Remember how some complained about AD's when Glock's were introduced a few decades ago to LEO's. 

AD's in the foot or leg are almost always due to poor trigger discipline while holstering the weapon.

I have helped train cadets for corrections and safety officers.  It makes me shudder that such ill trtained people are cleared to carry a weapon.  The bar they set is pretty low, imo.

Not trying to be high and mighty, but people make mistakes.  When you job depends upon it, people make excuses.  That's human nature.

Ed

Edited by JustEd
  • Like 3